Bloating From Whey Protein =|

Options
ndm9one
ndm9one Posts: 62 Member
Is this normal? I've been taking 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein,
which I heard is one of the well known brands, & Its causing me to bloat.
I also think I GAINED 1lb since Ive been taking this;
My goal is to LOSE weight, not gain it. Someone said its because
my body is retaining the water;
I've been drinking about 96oz of water a day! Is this not enough?
Is there anything I can I do to stop the bloating? or will my body adapt to it?

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, I got appalling bloat, and stinky gas, and gained weight, so I just stick to peanut flour now, or a rice based vegan protein powder which is much gentler on the digestive system. Sunwarrior is my current brand.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You are probably lactose intolerant. Try pure whey isolate instead. I couldn't figure out why I was so sick after my protein shakes and I mentioned it to the guy at GNC and he said the whey isolate was the only one without lactose. I started with GNC brand but it tastes nasty so now I'm on to ISO100. Delicious and doesn't make me sick or bloated at all.
  • ndm9one
    Options
    I still have a full tub of powder left & dont want to switch just yet.
    I have no problem drinking milk so im not lactose intolerant either.
    I only use 1 scoop once a day w/ water. Any other suggestions?
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I get my whey protein from cottage cheese. I don't do the shake thing. But if that's what you like stick to that. I like to eat my calories for the most part
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can't do whey protein either, I'm somewhat lactose intolerant (like a bit won't kill me, but I feel gross if i have too much)

I use rice protein in my shakes. Tragically, it's like twice the price of the whey stuff.
  • thephysiquemechanic
    thephysiquemechanic Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I still have a full tub of powder left & dont want to switch just yet.
    I have no problem drinking milk so im not lactose intolerant either.
    I only use 1 scoop once a day w/ water. Any other suggestions?

you may have an intolerance to whey protien, try eating whole foods/meal pre and post workout and this will eliminate the need for protien shakes.
  • SophieW1988
    Options
    You're not alone!!! I stay FAR away from all dairy and whey. Try Amazing Meal or Sun Warrior - if you're like me these swaps will make all the difference.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm the same...not lactose intolerant, but whey protein made me blow up like a balloon. Hubby ended up tossing the rest of my powder lol...he didn't like seeing me so miserable or looking six months pregnant everyday after drinking my shake. I felt fine a few days later with no bloat. I've decided to do without the protein powders and just do my best to hit my macros with whole foods instead (means a lot of chicken breast for me)....it's working so far.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm bloated right after drinking a whey protein shake with 10 oz. of milk and a bunch of ice, but I expect to be -- it goes away after a few hours.

Is your bloating more severe?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Egg white protein powder sits well with me (I'm allergic to whey) and if you're strength training you could be retaining water for muscle repair. Check your sodium intake in the past week though...
  • pandalee21
    pandalee21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble with whey protein.. My belly goes CRAZY! But.. I have found that I can take muscle milk without a problem. It says 2 scoops and I take one, twice a day. One with breakfast and one right after I workout and I do fine. :) I mix it with almond milk and sometimes a fruit.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have been bloated all week and couldn't figure out why. I never thought about my protein powder. I just recently switched brands--so that must be it! When this Bio-chem is gone, I'm going back to my regular stuff!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Whey is a dairy. Many people have sensitivities to dairy and some more so to whey, casien ect..

I'd ask when you're having the shake. Protein shakes don't make you lose weight. That's a common misconception.

A healthy shake or smoothie in place of a meal can pending it doesn't go any higher than a certain amount of calories.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've heard from numerous sources that whey protein, especially the concentrate, as opposed to isolate, can and do cause bloating and gas in many people, including those that are NOT lactose intolerant. I used to use about 1/2 of one scoop after I work out. I recent increased it to 2/3 and have mild bloating but not sure if that's the whey or TTOM for me. I have tried Vega One vegan options but that makes me worse. I hear that brown rice protein, hemp and pea protein powder are highly digestable and less likely to cause bloating and gas. I haven't tried any but have a trial size of the hemp powder... I just havent been eager to try it as I hear it tastes nasty!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Is this normal? I've been taking 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein,
    which I heard is one of the well known brands, & Its causing me to bloat.
    I also think I GAINED 1lb since Ive been taking this;
    My goal is to LOSE weight, not gain it. Someone said its because
    my body is retaining the water;
    I've been drinking about 96oz of water a day! Is this not enough?
    Is there anything I can I do to stop the bloating? or will my body adapt to it?
    The weight gain may be because you're building more muscle. Muscle holds water...
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I found out that I am severely lactose intolerant by drinking shakes made with whey protein. It's possible not to know! I never ate much dairy other than cheese until I went on a diet and had to drink those shakes. I immediately lost the 5lbs of bloat I put on just by eliminating dairy. Give it a shot!
  • sgeorge1969
    sgeorge1969 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We drink Dymatize® Nutrition ISO 100 - 100% Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate. It's made partial broken down for easier digestion. A high(er) protein diet usually accompanies low carbs; without additional fiber to help aid in the digestion of proteins, you can get bloating and constipation. I have no problem with whey or latose. I add fiber to my diet and I've never experienced any abdominal discomfort.
  • cgafriday
    cgafriday Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ndm9one
    Options
    Its good to know im not the only one having this problem.
    I usually make a whey protein shake right after my morning workout
    & THEN I eat afterwards. Today Im eating first before I make the shake.
    I'd like to see if that will make a difference before I toss out they whey :sad:
  • antg1986
    Options
    I sometimes get bloated after a shake but I don't anymore.

Try letting it stand for 20/30 minutes with the lid off to let the air out of it, you will notice a massive difference

Ant