Did I really gain all these pounds?

Options
Okay I lost about 16lbs for the past four to five weeks and today during dinner I ate a little more than usual. (Mainly because it was a family dinner at the buffet but I mostly ate meat, vegetables, and fruits) My stomach came out more than usual and when I weighed myself I managed to gain a couple of pounds from it (About 5 pounds!!!)! I mean I still ate under what my calorie count was and I burned about 1004 calories earlier but does this mean I have to lose all those pounds all over again?!?!

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? You ate a bunch of food and then weighed yourself, right? That food you ate weighs something, as does anything you drank. Fat is not created instantaneously in your body; you cannot possibly gain pounds of fat as soon as you eat something.
  • sgeorge1969
    sgeorge1969 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Na, give it a few days to digest. Remember 3500 calories to a pound that means you would have had to ate 17,500 calories to add 5lbs!! Doubt it. Not to mention all the fluids you drank with the meal. I only weigh myself once a week.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Any sudden weight gain is usually water. The best thing to do when you eat out to combat the high sodium content is to drink water, to flush it out. The scale might take a day or two to catch up. Weighing your self daily doesn't help at times like these it can be discouraging to see a gain. I would NEVER weigh myself after eating... I only weigh very first thing in the morning, usually once per week.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    ........ never weigh after eating. You are weighing all the days intake, solid and liquid, and whatever is building in your... well poop shoot.
    Check it in the a.m.
  • hparker2
    hparker2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    buffet food also typically contains large amounts of sodium and msg. This will make your body retain water, so make sure you drink a lot of water the next few days!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 5 lbs from one meal. That is almost nearly physically impossible. Give it a few days to drop again, to flush out all that extra water. You'll be fine :)
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    (laughing) No: what everyone else said. Weigh yourself tomorrow morning and it will be gone. That's the only time you should weigh yourself -- certainly not right after eating at a buffet.

Parenthetically, at a minimum, you'd have to overeat by 17,500 calories to gain 5 lbs. of fat.