Core workout

Options
What do you all do to tone your core (tummy, back, sides)? I had two kids, both c-section so I have what I lovingly call my "shelf" :tongue: and don't feel my abs hurt after working out so I want to try and target my core. Any tips?

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I like Pillates (sp?)... It's GREAT for the core! I also use the ab machine that you sit upright and crunch down (you can add weight) I do 3-4 sets of 25 at 50lbs... do them slow and controlled enough, you'll feel it!
  • alymarphi
    alymarphi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yoga helps too. Check out GIAM they have a lot of good stuff yoga, pilates (sp?) and alot more
  • alymarphi
    alymarphi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yoga helps too. Check out GAIAM they have a lot of good stuff yoga, pilates (sp?) and alot more
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Cardio also helps walking/running whatever you can do.
  • HulaCoop
    HulaCoop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can also try Hula Hooping! Its so fun and easy you dont even notice your working out!
    Also, jump roping is always a good one!
    I peronally am a fan of the Russian twist wiitch is where you sit on the floor and with your knees bent sit back on your buns to where your abs are ingaged. Grab a light weight, or if that is too much just clasp your hands together and twist from side to side. The key in this is to keep the core ingaged and not to let the back slouch!

Good luck! :)
  • deamarie
    Options
    None of this will you you any good unless you learn how to hold your real "abs" in. Everyone has a deep set of ab muscles that act as an internal girdle! These muscles are your "powerhouse" - they protect your back, create great posture and make you appear thinner. Yoga and pilates count on you knowing how to engage these muscles. The best way to learn is to lie on your back, hands on your belly and practice taking deep breaths deep into the lungs and using your abs to exhale. Watch your hands rise on inhalation and sink on exhalation. Pull the belly button back toward your spine as your exhale. Once you get this movement, you can keep your "abs" contracted all day long. No need to crunch!
  • gurlondrums
    Options
    I just started working out a couple weeks ago, and I bought a stability ball last Saturday. I have found that that has helped the most. There's alot of core workouts for the stability ball and if you go on http://exercisetv.tv they have a bunch of free workout videos.