Can we all be supportive and encouraging, please?

Options
Hello, fellow weight-loss-journey-takers! :)
I have been on this site a week, and just discovered the Message Boards today.
I'm more than a little alarmed by how harsh and critical some people can be. Some people honestly do have serious depression and medical problems. Until you've lived their life and walked in their shoes, it is not for you to pass judgment.
OF COURSE we should be honest with each other. OF COURSE we're here to assist each other in weight-loss and better fitness/overall health... But let's try to do so kindly and with a little compassion.
Everyone is here because they want to get better, do more, see results. We're all in the same boat. Let's put a little wind in each other's sails! Cheer each other on!
Negativity sure won't accomplish anything.
Positive people unite! Hehe!

Replies

• 55AngelH55
    55AngelH55 Posts: 117
    Options
    Really, no one? :-(
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think it's easy to disconnect text on a screen from the person who wrote it. You'll never see that person irl; you'll never see the impact of your words. Any time I read something online that I disagree with, I try to picture the person who wrote it - either a face or voice or whatever (maybe I sound like a nut job right now) - but I think it keeps me from being inadvertently caustic. It's really sad when I see people on the forums trashing each other.
  • 55AngelH55
    55AngelH55 Posts: 117
    Options
    THANK YOU! :-)
    That's exactly what I mean. And no, you don't sound like a nut-job.
    But it's the same golden-rule we all learned in kindercare... Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
    We should speak to each other with kindness, respect, and mutual appreciation.
    Common courtesy. :)
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've noticed a lot of people on here act like real a-holes..
  • lOvEly805
    Options
    Completely Agree . Everyone Can use some motivation now and then. we all have those bad days sometimes
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Three cheers for a positive attitude! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Negativity gets us nowhere.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    There are trolls everywhere, sadly that is life. We cannot please everyone & no matter how good we are, there will always be haters.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    the first time i ever posted a topic on here, i got nothing but smart replies. I dont usually make my own topics anymore.
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i agree a million percent!!! it really bothers me how some people make nasty remarks when others just want advice and support,
    and i love you for posting this!!

and i agree about how some people seriously needs to thinnk about whether they have depression or something because i have noticed alot of the negative comments r by the same faces!

lets all be positive!! we are all making this journey together!! :)

xxx
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    Honey, don't worry too much about the negative people on here. I just try to keep in mind that people get mean when they're hungry :wink: .

No worries!! Still loads of positive people out here!! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    the first time i ever posted a topic on here, i got nothing but smart replies. I dont usually make my own topics anymore.

this happened to me aswel
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Hello, fellow weight-loss-journey-takers! :)
    I have been on this site a week, and just discovered the Message Boards today.
    I'm more than a little alarmed by how harsh and critical some people can be. Some people honestly do have serious depression and medical problems. Until you've lived their life and walked in their shoes, it is not for you to pass judgment.
    OF COURSE we should be honest with each other. OF COURSE we're here to assist each other in weight-loss and better fitness/overall health... But let's try to do so kindly and with a little compassion.
    Everyone is here because they want to get better, do more, see results. We're all in the same boat. Let's put a little wind in each other's sails! Cheer each other on!
    Negativity sure won't accomplish anything.
    Positive people unite! Hehe!

Well said! Good post.
  • lOvEly805
    Options
    Honey, don't worry too much about the negative people on here. I just try to keep in mind that people get mean when they're hungry :wink: .

No worries!! Still loads of positive people out here!! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

LOL yes people are MEAN when hungry lol xD
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you.

Some people do post topics that are a bit silly but I just stay away from them, don't comment and am not unkind to the poster.

Some people are just keyboard warriors, that's all.

Support and encouragement are what most of us need.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    There are trolls everywhere, sadly that is life. We cannot please everyone & no matter how good we are, there will always be haters.

Basically this.

Every message board/forum has people that are rude, mean, and otherwise unsavory to be around. And lots of times it tends to be what you see more over the good, whether by actuality or the sheer fact we are just more blown away by jerks than nice people thus it sticks with us.

All you can do is learn to ignore these people (or ignore them for real by clicking that down arrow next to their names and selecting "ignore") and try to stay out of topics like politics, relationship advice, and anything that could cause a huge opinion war.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Ditto. What annoyed me was that some people were not willing to acknowledge my position whether they agreed with it or not so so sad.
  • milu1f
    milu1f Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yup! I dont understand y ppl klick on a subject if it doesnt interes them!
  • sandrajune72
    Options

Me too! I've been here a while now and have learnt to deal with it. The trick is to just ignore the trolls and focus on the many lovely people here that are willing to help :flowerforyou:
  • shortjennifer
    Options
    Absolutely agree with you! I think we have all become a bit careless about the impact of our posts on social media sites, including Twitter. Surely the rule must be that we only put what we would say directly to someone's face and what would not offend us if it was said to us. I think the distance has relaxed good manners and it would be good to see some courtesy restored. Sometimes plain speaking is important but this takes skill and kindness if it is to be effective. Too many smartass replies that actually tell us more about the poster than they would probably want us to know. A really good post, thank you!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A lot of unhappy people can be mean but it is not acceptable to take it out on others! I agree we should all be kind to others but I just know I am in the minority on that one!! People have opinions & just bully & shout their way through. The fact that nobody seems to post after them or they get a stream of haters after them seems to prove that they get back what they give out. As for me, if people are hateful I stop reading & switch pages........