Ouch! My foot.

Options
WTBSE
WTBSE Posts: 72 Member
I have recently started the C25K and all has been going fine, no problems.

However, all day today i have had some pain in my left ankle, and this evening its getting worse. i am just wondering if this is normal for someone who has never run before, and if my running technique is wrong or anything that you guys could pinpoint for me?

Replies

• rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    How far into C25K are you? It's definitely not rare for a runner, especially a new one, to get some pains in the joints. I've been running for two years, and when I increase my mileage or take a couple weeks off, my knee and achilles ache. Sometimes it's bad enough to keep me from running, sometimes it's not.

The best thing you can do is ice it for about 15 minutes every hour. It can be hard to ice an ankle, but if you fill a ziplock bag with 3 parts water to 1 part rubbing alcohol, it will get very, very cold, but not freeze solid. That way you can sort of "wrap" it around your ankle. It might take a couple days, but it should feel better as long as it's not some sort of stress fracture or other issue.

I doubt it's your technique -- probably just overuse or not warming up/cooling off enough. Definitely add some stretches and ankle rolls post-run. Also, it could have a lot to do with your shoes.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely ice it like rowbseat suggests. Stay off of it if it hurts... If the pain doesn't go away in a day or two, I would get it looked at, just to make sure it's not a fracture.

Did the pain start during a run? Or the day after?
  • WTBSE
    Options
    i am only at the end of week 1.
    Thanks for the advice re the ice pack :)
    Hopefully it wont stop me running though, i dont think it will.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have proper fitting shoes.

I thought I just had a sore ankle turned out to be Plantar Fasciitis,

If yours is not that serious, then try to just massage it, Epsom salt (hot soak), ankle wrap, any home remedy will do

Go to foot-doctor b4 it gets too bad if home remedies don't help.
  • WTBSE
    Options
    it didnt start during a run, its just been after runs that i have noticed it. It hasnt been a big deal really, but its getting worse now.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    That sounds like plantar fasciitis - My friend had a very similar occurrence recently. Just got back from the ortho yesterday and yup, it's PF.

My friend is also running in vibram five fingers which are great for some people but he is 60lbs overweight and needs some support in his shoes, so I really think that having improper footwear contributed to the problem.
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Warm up, do running stretches before and after, wear the right shoes, stay hydrated, keep good form, shorten your stride if you need to reduce impact. If your body is talking to you, listen. Give your joints and muscles time to recover by mixing in more walking with your run when you need to.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're stretching enough. My experience is more with endurance walks than with running, but we have to train up gradually for those, too, and I know it made a huge difference when I learned to stretch frequently.

There's a big debate now among runners about which style of running is healthiest -- the book "Born to Run" talks about the forefoot strike style. If you're just getting started, now's the time to make an informed decision about which style to use long-term.

Good luck!
  • clonesjer
    clonesjer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    is it a sharp heal or midfoot pain that hits you the morning after a workout? If its plantar fascitis I feel sorry for you, I deal with it anytime I play sports or run an extended distance.

Best cure I have is to go buy 2 icepacks, every time you get done showering after a workout sit with your feet on the icepacks for 15-20 mins. That seems to stop it from happening to me or at least greatly diminish it. A doctor is going to tell you the cure is to stay off your feet for weeks or months, don't walk barefoot on hard surfaces, stretch your leg muscles focusing on the calves, and to ice and/or take an anti-inflammatory.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already I would advise going to Frank Elfords store in Mayflower Street in Plymouth and getting fitted for some running shoes. They were really great to me and he picked up on all the old injuries in my leg without me telling him. I didn't think I was getting much pain from running in my non-specific trainers, but the proper shoes showed me I was wrong - they really do make a difference.

I didn't get pain in my heel but I got pain in my instep and my hamstrings, which is more or less gone now (except if I push my luck). My friend started running at the same time as me and she got pain in the back of her calfs. I think it does depend on how you run, but the right shoes do seem to help.

Hope it gets better for you soon :flowerforyou:
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have proper fitting shoes.

I thought I just had a sore ankle turned out to be Plantar Fasciitis,

If yours is not that serious, then try to just massage it, Epsom salt (hot soak), ankle wrap, any home remedy will do

Go to foot-doctor b4 it gets too bad if home remedies don't help.
    I thought that only caused heel pain, when the Plantar fascia pulled away. What kind of ankle pain? Front, upper, lower?
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already I would advise going to Frank Elfords store in Mayflower Street in Plymouth and getting fitted for some running shoes. They were really great to me and he picked up on all the old injuries in my leg without me telling him. I didn't think I was getting much pain from running in my non-specific trainers, but the proper shoes showed me I was wrong - they really do make a difference.

I didn't get pain in my heel but I got pain in my instep and my hamstrings, which is more or less gone now (except if I push my luck). My friend started running at the same time as me and she got pain in the back of her calfs. I think it does depend on how you run, but the right shoes do seem to help.

Hope it gets better for you soon :flowerforyou:

^That friend is me! And I can not recommend Frank Elfords enough they were awesome. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon :)