Am I doing something wrong?

Options
I'm 5'3'', 18 years old, around 105 or maybe 110 lbs, and I'm trying to lose about 5 more pounds or so.
For about 3 to 4 weeks now, I've been counting calories and keeping track of my meals. Every day, I hit anywhere between 950 and 1100 calories. It differs each day, but I don't think I've gone past 1150. I have my meals scheduled out to be a certain amount for each meal. Breakfast I try for 300, Lunch I try for 200, Dinner I try for 300, and I have 200 cals for cushion space for snacks. I drink flavored water, rarely ever soda.
I try to balance out my nutrition with protein (in peanut butter and vegetarian meals), fruit, vegetables, whole wheat and whole grains, and a bit of dairy (low fat cheese).
I work about 4 to 6 times a week, about 6 to 8 hour shifts, and I'm constantly on my feet and walking around. Only a 30 minute lunch break sitting down. I brisk walk for about an hour outside at night maybe 3 to 5 times a week, with some sprinkled jogging/running. Not sure how much I burn with it though.
For about 2 weeks now I feel like i've been stuck, and not losing any more weight. I was about 110 or so when I started counting and cutting back. I'm thinking about seeing a nutritionist for help. I'm afraid to increase my calories because i don't want to gain back all that weight that I've been so desperately trying to avoid doing.
I have cut back almost completely on pasta and pizza, and i really really miss it, because those were my favorite things to eat. Now the only time i get to have it is if I eat Lean Cuisine or Smart Choice, which, I try to stick under 280 with and try to get the lowest sodium possible. I do enjoy soups, but I'm afraid of the sodium levels. So i can't enjoy them as much as I'd like to...
I honestly don't know where to go from here. I'm losing motivation and I don't want to give up. But i'm not seeing results. Apparently according to this site I should be taking in 1200, but that seems like a lot to me and i don't want to gain weight again.

My typical breakfast consists of:
1 cup multi grain cheerios - 110
1 slice whole wheat bread - 40
1 tbs all natural peanut butter - 95
1 cup of fruit (watermelon or strawberry usually) - 55.
- which totals to about 300.

I get about 2 to 3 servings of fruit a day, about 1 or 2 servings of vegetables. Peanut butter and vegetarian meats count for most of my protein. I use assorted snacks that amount to about 100 calories each, and i usually have one in between lunch and dinner and one after dinner as a dessert.

What. am i. doing. wrong.

Replies

• annisthehag
    Options
    You'll probably get different answers from different people, but, in my opinion, I don't think you're eating anywhere near enough calories. I put your numbers in this calculator http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/. Assuming you are moderately active (and from the sounds of it you are probably closer to "very active") you should be eating closer to 2000 calories to maintain 105 lbs. body weight. So, yeah, I would suggest you increase your calories.

Having said that, I also think you should consider why you want to lose weight. You are already at the low end of a healthy weight, losing more might put you under. Personally, I think you should concentrate on weight lifting to build muscles to tone your body and make yourself look good. Stop worrying about an arbitrary number on the scale and concentrate on keeping your body healthy and strong. Best of luck to you. :)
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I would try upping your cals per day a bit... maybe to 1300 to start and see what happens. Also, the less you have to lose the longer it can take. Be patient. I know thats hard when it comes to weight loss, but I have heard that the last 5 to 10 lbs are the hardest to get rid of.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I would definitely up your calories to at least 1200+

Other than that your diet looks pretty healthy!
  • Rozlynmac
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 115 and only lightly active as I have a desk job and I am losing less than 1lb/month. I've been tweaking my calories to try & find the right level for me, but I too would suggest you're eating way too little.

If you're as active as youv'e said, then it sounds like your net calorie intake each day is way below what you're actually eating, so your body is grimly hanging on to everything it can not 'cos of starvation, just cos you're not giving it enough fuel to burn.

I'd check out fat to fit 2. And look for a thread called Roadmap or something like that which talks about how to recalculate. It is scary upping the calories, but think about your car - you can't cut the amount you put in just to save money 'cos it still needs the fule to get from A to B, and the more you drive it, the more you need to put in.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    if you are 105 pounds you are already the correct weight for your height....not sure why you want to be thinner but maybe you should think about whatever it is on your body that you want to look different and possibly target that area with excercise?
  • Jonni86
    Jonni86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah your diet seems fine. Try to meet the calorie goal, though and don't deprive yourself of food.

Why don't you try mixing up more cardio and toning exercises? Try varied exercises because the body can become accustom to the same repeating routines. At your weight (which is ideal) some extra exercise is more effective than just cardio and restricted calorie intake. Remember, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn naturally. :)
  • GuineaMother
    GuineaMother Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you do not need to lose any more weight. It isn't right to try, and that's what your body is trying to tell you. Listen to it, or you risk making yourself unwell.
    Look after yourself.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Are you doing something wrong? Yes. You're trying to lose weight.

You have already your ideal weight.

If you want to feel better try to eat according to your recommended intake (1500cal) and workout.

Measure your bodyfat/lean mass. Maybe you're "skinny fat"?

Seriously. Do some fitness. Preferrably strength training. Not cardio. You seem to have enough cardio in your worklife.

Good luck :)

EDIT: I hope I don't sound mean. English is not my first language.
    EDIT: If you start working out. Up your calorie intake!!!
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you do not need to lose any more weight. It isn't right to try, and that's what your body is trying to tell you. Listen to it, or you risk making yourself unwell.
    Look after yourself.

This ^^^^

Please eat more and don't count. You don't need to. You need more food at your age or you will harm your health.

I think it's clear this is a teen on the verge of underweight and developing a disordered eating pattern with respect to calorie-counting. It's hard to gage when a the majority of people here are overweight and obviously trying their best to lose, but tips like "eat 1200" or "exercise more" are not that helpful when somebody clearly shouldn't be trying to lose weight.