Toast for Breakfast

Options
I've always been told bread is really bad for you but recently I've started having two pieces of wholemeal bread with marmite (no butter) for breakfast. I avoid any more bread for the rest of the day after that but I was just wondering if it's really THAT bad?

I used to just have fruit but that came to the same amount of calories and I ended up getting really hungry then needing more lunch when the time came

Replies

• roodledoodle
    Options
    In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with it at all so long as it fits in with your daily intake allowance. I would say that wholegrain breads have more nutrional value than white bread :smile:
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with bread?
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I agree with ^ roodledoodle. My husband has a full time job, but his "hobby" is that he bakes bread. Seriously good bread. Sourdough, wholemeal, bran based he bakes it all for us for our family and for his customers.

Now I also thought "bread=bad", but when he started baking his wholemeal sourdough loaf I realised that I was having two slices of that in the morning with my breakfast and then not actually feeling hungry until around 1pm. I.E. I had stopped snacking in the morning. That was the start of my weightloss. (Then I found MFP, exercise and got serious about shifting my excess baggage).

Find the best, wholemeal bread you can afford and that you like. If it works within your calorie/carb plans, then don't be afraid to use it. If you find it doesn't, in the end, work for you then try something else.

For me, good bread in the morning (toasted and without butter) is the foundation of my weight loss success so far.

Mavis
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I eat toast most mornings for breakfast. It is quick and easy - and in the mornings when I am getting ready for work that is important to me. I use Burgen soya and linseed bread mostly - I used to always make my own bread in the past but it is too tempting to eat more of it. Bread that is wholemeal and with seeds is really good because it takes longer for your body to break it all down and therefore it is lower gi and it keeps you satisfied for longer. It is like a lot of things - it is ok in moderation but if a large part of your food intake is spent on bread then the right balance of nutrients is not going to be there.
  • GuineaMother
    GuineaMother Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I :heart: toast. With a boiled egg, it's my new staple before a big swim!
    Fruit for breakfast = sugar crash mid-morning, stick with your toast if it's working for you!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    there's nothing wrong w/bread. I bake my own, and can't really resist it. It has lots of different whole grains and wheat....sometimes I have 2 slices in the morning; with cheese melted, or maybe with sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) & jelly . Sometimes just w/a little butter.

Keeps you filled up. Is healthy. It's within the calorie budget. No worries :). I have been maintaining for a long time this way and it has never been a harmful thing.....
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Bread is not bad in my opinion. However... there are great differences in relation to bread quality. Wholemeal & Wholegrain breads are great - white is a waste of calories and doesn't have much nutritional value so dump that. If I am going to eat bread personally, it's usually 1 slice of toast with no butter with 1-2 boiled or poached eggs or for lunch with salad and lean meat. There are lots of different theories and people say not to have to after particular times during the day and what not, but honestly I don't think it really matters as long as it fits within your daily calorie limits and your choosing a good type of bread with nutritional value, I don't think you can really go wrong. I like to eat bread before lunch though just so I know I can burn it off at the gym later and I personally can wake up feeling a bit bloated etc if I eat it late at night (same as when I eat pasta or rice at night) & I hate feeling bloated. Bread will most definitely will fill you up for longer too and if that works for you, then stick with it!
  • emilytattersallxox
    Options
    One of the main things im trying to do is lose my lovehandles and big thighs, and carbohydrates (found is bread) is the main cause of all that fat around the body. so i cut out carbs to only breakfast time and try to only have bread once every week, if that. porridge or museli would be much better:)
  • hayley9914
    hayley9914 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use toasted wholewheat bread with a mashed banana and a little peanut butter as a breakfast or pre run snack. I got the idea from a running magazine and it is a fantastic energy boost and not too bad calorie wise for what it does. My children have it for breakfast sometimes too, and they don't want snacks by mid morning.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I had two slices of toast for breakfast this morning....one with jam and one with marmite. And I enjoyed every bite :heart:

.....nom.
  • kittyconni
    Options
    I love bread. I am on a majorly carb restricted diet, so I buy Joseph's pita bread. only 7 carbs and 50 calories. I pop it in the toaster with some Walden Farm's apricot fruit spread and I am good to go !
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    My go to Breakfast for the last 3 years has been 4 pcs. of Sara Lee Multi-grain toast with Jiff Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter sprinkled with some Local bought Honey, Glass of Milk and my morning coffee.... I still have Bread later in the day but I am not one to restrict carbs..... Best of Luck.....
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I feel sad for foods that get a bad rap when they shouldn't. Bread = Bad when lots of the 'Atkins' type diets came around. People became scared of carbs because we had so much processed rubbish on the shelves at the time (think 70s-80s) so instead of looking at carbs for what they all are worth people just cut them all together.

If you really want bread, the more it looks like what it's made from and the darker the better. Sometimes some are worth higher cals because of the seeds and nuts in but I wouldn't worry too much.
    I have Burgen Digestive... something. It's dark rye and it keeps me really full. I also have Aussie Farmers Light Rye. That's really yum with all the seeds and oats.
    I use bread to keep me full so I stay away from white. If it's the only option for bread I'll eat something else but I don't like white anyway. Particularly brand name ones... too much sugar *vomit face* and you can taste it.
  • Bidiebee63
    Bidiebee63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Toast is not bad for you, bread has a place in your eating plan, just not filing enough, but for myself if it's bread, make it a good one.
    I think breakfast should be more than toast, as its your first meal of the day. Have you tried Ezekiel breads, sometimes called sprout bread, purchased in health food stores, slice a thick piece, toast, add savory of sweet spreads, yum! And my favourite way is with Greek yogurt, slice of banana of berries, with. drizzel of maple syrup....
    The bread is a bit more expensive but worth it. Keeps you full longer.... And keeps in the fridge for quite sometime.
  • bestshiratakinoodles
    Options
    No simply 2 piece of bread is not bad for health !!
  • Emily_fitat30
    Emily_fitat30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love toast for breakfast, I have started buying a 400g loaf rather than 800g as to skim a few calories off & reduce my portion sizes :)