Walking long distances

Options
Hi everyone! My preferred exercise is walking. A lot.
I had been going to the gym but since the weather has been less scorching, I've been walking outside more and I seem to burn more calories this way then when I use the treadmill.
The other night, I decided to push myself a little and power walked 3.8 miles on the bike trail. I felt awesome! I was so pumped up, I could have just kept going but it was getting late. I felt great that is...until I woke up the next day! :frown:
My shins are so sore, my whole body just aches. I decided that the main reason this is is because of my shoes. They are cheap-o and probably not meant for real exercise or walking, so I ordered a pair of New Balance WT20s.

Does anyone else here walk a lot? Any advice or tricks? I love walking but I don't really know any rules about walking for exercise.

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I hike... but... mainly I started with short distances... (less than a mile) and have gradually added distance and difficulty...

started hiking about 2-3 years ago... and could barely hike 1/2 mile EASY without feeling like I was dying... now I can do 30 miles in 2 days.... (carrying a pack)

take it easy... add gradual.... increase your difficulty incrementally
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Yes, I walk a great deal due to the fact that I have an injury and can not run. First thing and most important is going to be your shoes. Are you wearing one that is one size larger than your dress shoe? This is very important. Another is going to be that wearing cheap shoes when we exercise is not good for us. Our feet take the impact for our whole body, not just our feet, but our ankles, knees, hips and spine. If at all possible, I suggest going to store that specializes in athletic shoes and have them suggest a pair for your body type and walking style.

Next is stretching before and after. This is going to really do a lot of good for you. You should do dynamic stretches before and static stretches after. Please google these or look them up on youtube if you do not know what they are.

God luck and keep up the good work. I started out walking 2 miles a day and now I am up to 5.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Suggestions:

when you can try jogging short spurts / sprinting

you will be doing hits then

I am going for a walk today (thanks for the inspiration!!)

The shin pain will pass, you are using new muscles ..this pain is normal!!

After 5 months of relative inactivity I started Insanity and more than my shins hurt the next day...... lol
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Shoes do help big time. If you get your new shoes and still experience pain, I'd suggest going to a running store to get fitted for shoes. They will watch how you walk and fit you in the best shoe for your stride.

Walking up and down hills if on a trail could cause you to be sore. Walking outside is much different than on the treadmill.

Stretching your calf muscles after walking will help with the shin pain. You can google good stretches.
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    Thanks for your tips and feedback everyone. :smile:

I walk on average about 2-3 miles at a time, but it's more of a get up and go kind of thing and I'm usually going a normal stride. I like to walk everywhere and usually I'm wearing sandals or flats, but now that I'm doing this more for exercise, I'm realizing that there are precautions I need to take. I'm looking forward to my new shoes because I really want to go on more long walks. I will try them out and see how they work for me.
    I will try stretching before and after (Don't know why I didn't think of that before).
    Maybe breaks every mile or so would help too?
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Make sure to note the difference between good pain and bad pain. If your muscles are aching, that's a good thing. It means you've done right. If you have a general ache, it might be just a matter of getting used to it. Be concerned if you have a joint that is aching, and take steps to take care of it.
    Stretching is always a good thing.
  • fullofhope01
    Options
    I know that many "good" fitness shoe stores will do a gait analysis and recommend the best shoe based off of that. Even better, I have never had to pay for one to be done. I have done this for many pairs of shoes I have bought and every pair has been a great pair of shoes. You might consider having this done before you wear your "ordered" shoes outside. It might save you some money and headache.

Best of luck.
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 80
    Options
    walking is wonderful and uses different muscles than running. run if you like, you'll burn more calories faster, again, using different muscles. wouldn't be too concerned with stretching out before exercises--actually can be dangerous to stretch when you're muscles are not warmed up. stretching afterwards probably wouldn't hurt. I actually don't stretch, just do it warm up and a cool down and I'm good to go. Keep up your excellent work. Walking is very meditative, too so it's great for your mental health.
  • Big_Daddy6
    Big_Daddy6 Posts: 188
    Options
    I walk/jog/sprint a lot. My feet were killing me. I got me some new Nike shoes. Guess what? They were still killing me. I've learned if I do a lot of miles they will hurt the next day. So what I do now is when I walk say 3 or more miles in one day, the next day I will only do like 1 or 2. This seems to get rid of the pain in my feet. They still hurt on the day after a long walk but not as bad. I think they are starting to get used to it. So if you don't hurt go hard. If you do hurt go easy till they don't hurt then go hard again.

working for me.
  • dlbaca1
    dlbaca1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Good going. I like walking also, it's easier on the body and I enjoy it more. I don't know of any rules for walking but, someone told me once that it's like driving a car fast or slow. You get to the same place it just takes a little long. If it keeps you exercising longer and going further that's good.

Dan
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    Little update:
    I got my new shoes yesterday and they are a definite improvement! I went out last night and walked about 6 miles (with a little running) and feel great! Then while I waited for the bus home, I stretched my legs. A little sore and a little tired but nothing compared to the last time. :bigsmile:

Thanks everyone!

Also, I think when I get the time and some extra money, I will still go and get custom fitted shoes.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I walk -- a lot -- anywhere from 30-50 miles a week usually. My caution would be.....if your shins are hurting, be sure to stretch and rest if you may have shin splints. I didn't when I first got my treadmill (best $200 investment of my life :wink: ), and I had such severe shin splints that I ended up having to have surgery to release a trapped nerve.
    Good luck! I walked the weight off that I have lost -- no running, not much else!
    Kaye