Runners, need some training help!

Options
I am training for my first half. I am up to about 18 miles a week, running four days a week. I usually have two easy runs, a tempo run, and then a long run. Over the past week and a half I seem to be struggling on my runs. I'm hydrated, I'm making sure I eat good carbs and protein for recovery. A few weeks ago I could run five miles without walking, but on tonight's run I couldn't even go two. I feel like I'm trying to breathe through a wet washcloth, my legs feel like lead. Also, I had tendonitis at the beginning of this year and tonight my leg was killing me! I'm not really sure what's going on, but any suggestions to get me through this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bonked run. Sometimes there are reasons you can pinpoint, sometimes the body just can't pull through it. Personally, bonked runs are a devastating mental blow. I hate them and often end up bonking more because I get too in my head and over think everything.

Bonking a run could be the result of many things, over-hydration, under-hydration, not enough sleep, muscles are tired, it's hotter than usual, etc, etc. I've got my second half in about two weeks and this has been a horrific few months of training for me. I did all of my training for the last one in the winter time with beautiful cool, overcast weather no matter what time of day I ran. The heat this summer has destroyed my runs and my pacing. So it's possible that heat could be contributing to your roughness in running this week.

Ultimately, it could be any number of things. But the most important thing is to battle the demons and keep forging ahead. Even Olympic athletes bonk runs, it's just the nature of the beast. You know what you can do, so just keep reminding yourself of that and head out for that next run. But also remember to listen to your body. If you start bonking multiple runs in a row with no other seeming factors/reasons, maybe give yourself an extra night off. Head to bed early, relax, let your body recover. Sometimes it's amazing what something as simple as that can do.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for my first half... three weeks to go until race day. I'm up to about 23-25 miles per week now, also running 4 days a week.

A couple of questions for you...

Does your training plan have step-back weeks, or is your long run just continuing to escalate? It is important to have light weeks in the plan to allow your body time to rest and recuperate.

What has the weather been like when you are having these difficult runs? I had a 10 mile race two saturdays ago and the weather just killed me... I was over 2 minutes per mile slower than I wanted to be because of the heat/humidity. The simple fact is that you just can't run as fast in the high heat/high humidity.

How long has the difficulty been going on? Sometimes, you just go through a bad stretch with running. I had that about four three to four weeks ago, where I had several runs in a row that were total slogs... it was partly the weather and partly just seemed to be a bad stretch for me. I kept at it, changed up my running a bit and have had a lot better runs of late.

I'd suggest cutting back a bit for a week or so... if you have time in your plan to allow it. Also, there is nothing wrong with walking a bit from time to time in your runs. Today's training run was my fastest ever 10K (66:16)... I had three short walk breaks in the run (total of about two and a half minutes) and I still beat my old personal best by almost two minutes. I'm not a run/walk type of person, but I do allow myself to walk a bit if I need it... I do that when I race as well, because I walk through water stations, so a couple of 40 second to 60 second walks in a 6 mile run is really nothing to be ashamed of.

Finally, one other thing to think of is that several sources I've read indicate that it's not really necessary (or even advised by some coaches) to do ANY kind of speed workout when training for your first half or full. Just work on building the distance and stamina. Worry about tempo runs, hill intervals, etc when you start training for your NEXT half. It's possible if the tempo runs are really taxing you that you might be overtraining.

Overall, I would say that the fatigue and flare up leg pain are pointing toward overtraining. I would take that as a warning sign and back off of the intensity of your plan a little bit for a few days and see if you feel any better.

Hope this helps... take this as advice from one novice to another.

Ted
  • brookeg20
    Options
    Ted,

Thank you so much, this was so helpful! My plan does have step back weeks, and I actually just had one last week. Before that too, I took a full week off about three weeks ago. I had company in town that week, and I banked a few extra miles the week before.

I've only really started having a hard time this week. Monday I really didn't feel like running, but I ran a few miles and felt great after. Wednesday I set out to do my tempo run, but drank way too much and had to cut it short after a few miles because I really had to go. And then the tempo run just killed me. The worst thing is, a few weeks back I killed this same tempo run. I ran a negative split like I was supposed to and everything!

I live in FL, and the heat and humidity here has been pretty intense too. I usually go running once the sun goes down, but this past week I have been going about an hour earlier. I've heard plenty of time if I don't train in the heat I'll never get used to it, but trying to do 5 mile tempo runs in FL in August may just be running suicide! I think I'll just back off my pace and try to make sure I hit my distance.

Good luck in your race!! Are you doing any cross training too, or are you just running? Thanks again for your advice.

Cheers,
    Brooke
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well, I just finished training for my first half (on Sunday)! The heat and humidity was a killer on the long runs, so that’s one thing to look at.

As far as your leg, if it keeps hurting, find a good Chiropractor! I ended up having tendonitis in my Achilles’ and my Chiro did wonders keeping me in training while getting my foot working again. My training had to be eased a little, but the distance was always reached. (My longest week was 30 miles with a 13 mile long run.)
    Good luck in your race!

Dave