Bottoms of feet hurt...

Options
As I've been increasing the intesity of my cardio wokouts, I notice the bottoms of my feet are sore. This happens after walking long distances, too (for example after a day in Washington, DC), any of you body experts know why, and what I can do to help it (example: a specific kind of shoe insert). Thanks in advance.

Replies

• danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    An easy way to get the pain to go away... (for me at least) is to get 2 golf balls... place them both on the floor. Sit down on a chair or a couch - place feet on top of said golf balls and move them around... applying as much pressure as you would like to massage the pain away. - You'll thank me later!! :flowerforyou:

Edit: Also, your shoes might not be the right type for you when you walk/jog/run. To help get the support you need, go to a running specialty store, they will help you with getting shoes - even if you are only walking.
  • JBV321
    JBV321 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As I've been increasing the intesity of my cardio wokouts, I notice the bottoms of my feet are sore. This happens after walking long distances, too (for example after a day in Washington, DC), any of you body experts know why, and what I can do to help it (example: a specific kind of shoe insert). Thanks in advance.

How old are your sneakers? If they are getting old, you might want to invest in a new pair that has better cushioning. Secondly, I would recommend you get better socks! Powersox are fantastic and have great cushioning and support. I have those along with Puma, Adidas and Under Armour for my workout socks and they are all great.

Also, treat yourself to a pedicure every now and then. Your feet have been working on overtime and it's a great way to reward yourself for exercising and eating right! :-)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    what part of your feet? If it's your arches, then it could be plantar fascitis which means you new shoes with good arch supports would help. Different brands have different levels of arches. Nike tends to have higher arches, while new balance tends to have lower ones.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    what part of your feet? If it's your arches, then it could be plantar fascitis which means you new shoes with good arch supports would help. Different brands have different levels of arches. Nike tends to have higher arches, while new balance tends to have lower ones.
    Was just about to say this myself.
    It is truly horrendous pain wise though and tends to affect the arches. I have had it for about a year now and the only advice i can give is never wear completely flat shoes. Makes the pain so much worse.
    Hope it isn't that, might just be you need some new trainers hopefully x
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Me too! You are not alone. Mine are in the arches. esp. once I started insanity. I use nike shoes with inserts that helped some but not alot. I have heard that wrapping your feet help. I did not do it, I completed insanity seemed to get better as I got use to the high impact. OR I'd break for a second. Let me know if you find a remedy!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I know this pain. I wear Nike 3.0 V4 shoes which are minimalist. I love the barefoot feel and zero drop, but after performing heavy deadlifts, the medial plantar area of my soles are often sore and swollen until I soak them in Epsom salt.

Running shoe insoles often help. If you go to a store geared toward runners, they'll definitely set you up, although you can buy decent insoles almost anywhere. In the meantime, try soaking your feet in Epsom salt.
  • kms1104
    kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    An easy way to get the pain to go away... (for me at least) is to get 2 golf balls... place them both on the floor. Sit down on a chair or a couch - place feet on top of said golf balls and move them around... applying as much pressure as you would like to massage the pain away. - You'll thank me later!! :flowerforyou:

Edit: Also, your shoes might not be the right type for you when you walk/jog/run. To help get the support you need, go to a running specialty store, they will help you with getting shoes - even if you are only walking.

Ooo, I will try the golf balls :)
  • kms1104
    kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

How old are your sneakers? If they are getting old, you might want to invest in a new pair that has better cushioning. Secondly, I would recommend you get better socks! Powersox are fantastic and have great cushioning and support. I have those along with Puma, Adidas and Under Armour for my workout socks and they are all great.

Also, treat yourself to a pedicure every now and then. Your feet have been working on overtime and it's a great way to reward yourself for exercising and eating right! :-)

I love your advice... I do need a pedicure! And I will check out the socks, too!
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Mine was too painful even for the golf balls! I got the Dr Scholls inserts(the ones where you stand on the machine), that and getting the right shoe(I needed proper shoes to bike in) healed mine in no time.