running with out having to stop..

Options
I have been doing some running apps in the past. But when I get on week 3,4 I end up stopping. I want to be able to just run with out having to stop. So next week Im going to start again. Not sure if i should do the c25k app or just go and run.

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some running apps in the past. But when I get on week 3,4 I end up stopping. I want to be able to just run with out having to stop. So next week Im going to start again. Not sure if i should do the c25k app or just go and run.

I have been wanting to try the C25K, as I know just straight out running will turn me off straight away, due to the torture I foresee, lol. The way I have been looking at it, is that it is way less intimidating to know, I can stop after 60-90 secs for a walk. This gives me comfort to know it is short bouts - and I likely won't just keel over. It could be worth trying as it would ease you into running, and perhaps encourage you to keep with it. Good luck :)
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    If it's not something you enjoy, you'll end up quitting again. Find something you like instead. Maybe cycling or hiking.

Otherwise, I suggest you sign up for a 5k race before you start again. At least you'll have an end goal already set up.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I try to run about 15 miles a week and I really recommend C25K I thinks it's very user friendly and a great way to start a running program. One of the most important things to do in being able to run continuously is to set a pace that's comfortable, most people start off way to fast. Hope this helps
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    When you first start running, it's important to mix up your workouts with intervals. Running at faster speeds during intervals will eventually make it so the slower pace you go on steady state runs feels easier.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    C25K is a really good program that currently has me running for 28 minutes non-stop.. and surprisingly enough I enjoy it.

My suggestion is to get good shoes, good music and go really slow... I think a lot of peoples problem is they run super fast and then burn out quick.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    If you want to run without stopping, then do it! Just add distance gradually.

If you want to increase speed, then HIIT is amazing. Before I had tendinitis in one achilles, I went from jogging 2 miles to 3 miles without stopping. My average speed was about 4 mph (yes, I know I'm slow!). Then I gave it up to let the tendinitis heal. Now I'm doing NROLFW (lifting program) which includes HIIT 1-2x/week, where you run fast/hard for 1 minute, then recover for 2 minutes. 5 hard intervals per workout. I've only been doing the HIIT part since June, and when I went for a 2-mile walk last week, I decided to jog the 2nd mile, and I was shocked that I finished it in approx. 11 minutes (I wasn't watching the seconds, just the time on a digital watch), which is just over 5 mph. Without ANY distance training. It felt awesome, and my achilles didn't even bother me afterwards. :happy:
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    I am starting the C25K this weekend. I have been looking for more friends who are planning on doing this program. Feel free to add me if you like and we can encourage each other. :flowerforyou: