New Here-shakeology ??

Options
OK at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot. I am reading all these blogs and posts about shakeolgoy like it is the next best thing since frosted donuts. (OK...please know JOKE!)

Is it really as great as everyone says it is?
Do you have to do it in tandum w/ beach body workouts?
Is it worth the expense?
Does it taste like @ss?

My concern is that I would like to lose weight using real food and real excerise and I have tried fade dieting before and it doesn't work and I end up fat and frustrated (I can think of another F-but you all don't know me that well).

I currently use Slimfast occassionally for Brkfst and am good about feeling deprived. But am just looking for opinions.

Thoughts?

Replies

• mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money. Clean eating and a balanced diet would do more for you than that rubbish and at a fraction of the price.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i dont even know what shakeology is.... bump for info!
  • MissShancey
    Options
    Don't waste your money. Clean eating and a balanced diet would do more for you than that rubbish and at a fraction of the price.

^^^ this ^^^
    hard work dedication!
    and lol good luck with all the private messages you are going to get from people selling it!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It is expensive in the grand scheme of things (when compared to protein powder for <$0.50-$1 a serving and veggies <$0.25-$0.50 cents a serving) NOT when compared to your daily Starbucks splurge. If you do that, cut the habit and buy Shakeology) the cost is $4 a serving, $120 a month.

That being said, the chocolate one is the most delicious protein-type dink out there that's for sure. The green one is DISGUSTING – I received a sample. There are a ton of coaches on MFP that will send you a sample, just put the word out you are interested, that’s how I got my samples.

If cost is a factor for you, eat your veggies and if you can't eat enough of them, invest in a multi-vitamin as it it's the exact same thing nutritionally + make sure you get your protein minimums in which is NOT the MFP default, it is incorrect like fiber, minimum fiber should be 25g so correct both of those under your settings.

*Side note, Shakeology is fully refundable (bottom of the bag guarantee) and comes in a bag not a big tub so empty out the contents, fold up the bag to fit into an envelope and return the bag for <$5 shipping and you get your money back! If you place an auto-delivery order you get 2 free workout DVD’s + free shipping and you can cancel auto-delivery anytime you want. I am still nursing my FREE Shakeology from Christmas ;)
  • nikineophytou
    Options
    Hi Michelle,

I am not sure about the shakeology but I am sure about slimming world have been doing it a week now I lost 5 pounds and I am so motivated. Check it out. xx
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    There is no magic pill and if there was, Shakeology certainly wouldn't be it.

It's all about the balance, if you eat a healthy and balanced diet you will meet all your macros and get all the vitamins Shakeology allegedly has at a fraction of the cost. You're better off spending your money on real food, a gym membership or some new weights!
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    She is right, it is expensive, even as a coach. But if your gonna spend 5-6 bucks at subway, you still wont get the nutrition you will get out of shakeology. The chocolate is good, but I like the greenberry. I have been drinking protein shakes for years. I once trained to be a bodybuilder. Now, at this point in my life I just want a nice body. Im a product of beachbody programs. And they work really good for me. And everything is laid out for you, all you have to do is read and follow it. I dont have to go to a gym.

I eat clean, I quit smoking and I still take my shakeology. I feel better, I dont get sick, I know people who have lowered their cholesteral when nothing else has helped.

I also know, many of you, dont think its worth it. I do.
  • Beth_Riley
    Options
    Hi!

One of my good friends is a Beach Body coach, and she absolutely RAVES about shakeology and how much fruits and vegetables you get out of one serving. The shakes are packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber content and metabolism-starting amino acids!

The one thing is though, is like what is being said above, the shakes and the challenge packs cost a lot of money. I have looked into buying them for a September challenge myself. if you don't get your vitamins and such nutrients in your other food, then I would look into it. Also, the workouts are really fun, and they do provide results.
  • orangebloodedbabe
    orangebloodedbabe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am an avid shaker, because 1 I strength train and its gear for a nutrient blast to either power me through a workout our recover after. I also an on a very high protein diet and if rather have one shake than two more servings if meat. But I would not recommend falling into the beachbody brand. Their are millions of protein supplements on the market. Do research find it what u r looking for, meal replacement (don't do that a lot) protein supplement, pre workout,.post workout.
    Ps I use six star professional elite series whey protein vanilla...because it has 30g if protein, and low carbs (so I can add them ONLY if I need them)
    there are tons of benifits to shaking, but they are only valid when coupled with a balanced diet. just my 2 cents.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's really not worth the money. Don't do that to yourself. The people who are selling it HAVE to really sell it. Don't fall for the stories and the testimonies. Eat "right' and exercise and you'll lose weight AND keep your money.
  • hydelaa
    hydelaa Posts: 184
    Options
    I enjoy REAL foods, I haven't done any shakes or fads....just stick with your low calorie intake and exercise 3-5 times a wk for 30-45 minutes a time. After you hit a plateou THEN you can think about changing it up, but that should be about 20 lbs from now..GOOD LUCK!!!!

Oh and don't eat your calories burned..I'm not sure why they give them back to you, when you are supppose to be consuming less than your body needs, aka I eat 1690 cals a day and burn about 500 cals swimming, I don't eat the cals I burned...you see more of a progress if you don't
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The only people that are going to tell you how wonderful shakeology is are the people trying to sell it to you.
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I agree with this.... As someone who has been overweight all of my life... I like to eat... so I dont think that drinking a shake is gonna satisfy me. I have changed my eating habits, eating clean...and exercising, and I feel better about myself for what I have accomplished so far, and will continue to accomplish!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You don't need Shakeology. If you want a protein shake check out Optimun Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. Better ingredients, tastes great, a lot cheaper.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Save yourself the money and eat real food! That's all I've ever done, and I have seen fantastic results.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Oh and don't eat your calories burned..I'm not sure why they give them back to you, when you are supppose to be consuming less than your body needs, aka I eat 1690 cals a day and burn about 500 cals swimming, I don't eat the cals I burned...you see more of a progress if you don't

This is terrible terrible advice. You, clearly, need to do a bit more research about how this site works and how healthy weight loss. Yikes.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Save yourself the money and eat real food! That's all I've ever done, and I have seen fantastic results.

I agree but if she's trying to get her protein up it can be easier and less cals to drink it rather than eat a ton of chicken and other sources of protein. It all depends on what her daily calorie goal is.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I use it and it is a great supplement. The taste is good and you can add fruit (lots of recipes) to it to change the tastes. There are 3 flavors (my favorite is chocolate) so which you like will be up to your taste buds. It has a bottom of the bag guarantee that if you don’t like it for whatever reason you get a full refund. I have been using it for over a year and it has had some pretty profound effects on my health… I am off my cholesterol meds, my dental health is better and I have more energy… but don’t take my word for it, give it a try and the guarantee means you are out nothing if you don’t like it.

P.S. and you may buy it from whomever you wish just to prove some people wrong that insist the only people telling you how good it is are only out to sell it to you…
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Save your money!

This topic has been covered.
    You can search this Topic here.

There are so many opinions on this site.
    Research for yourself and form your own opinion...Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on drinking shakeology for the rest of your life? If so, knock yourself out. If not, I would recommend looking at this process as a life change rather than a diet. If you see it as a diet, you are just going to go back to your bad habits after you come off the diet. Eat real foods, find what you like and how much you can have of it and enjoy. You don't need a gimmick or fad.