How many calories do you NET?

Options
You many calories do you NET each day when you are losing weight?

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    To lose 1/2 pound a week, I'm netting as close to 2000 as I can (I'm 5'7.5" and 178.4lbs).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I net 1800.

5' 4" and current weight 235

My scale is broken, but I am averaging an inch off the waistline per week.
  • mrstilly515
    Options
    I started losing in January. I'm 5'10", athletic build and was 200 pounds. I started using MFP and to lose 2 pounds per week they had me eating 1250 NET calories a day. I usually was under 1300. I would eat back about 75% of any calories burned during exercise, unless I was really hungry, because usually those estimates are high.

I lost 30 pounds and then stopped focusing on weight loss because I was training for a half marathon. I've mostly taken the summer off and haven't been tracking my foods, but I have been able to maintain within 2-3 pounds +/- of my 30 pound weight loss. I weigh myself daily to track the overall trends and to catch myself before I start gaining too much.

Right now I'm tracking again trying to lose the next 15 pounds to see if I can maintain at that weight. I'm aiming for 1 pound per week since I'm still running and have 2 more half marathons coming up this year.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I just checked and I'm a bit surprised - I net only around 900 calories. I'm very active and make sure to always eat above my BMR but, otherwise, I eat when I'm hungry.
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    I am netting around 800-900 as well. My goal daily according to this thing is 1390. I eat around 1200-1300 (or I try to to.. sometimes I force myself to eat more to meet that) and then I work out a lot so my calories net to 800-900. I've lost 8 pounds in a week..

This diet and working out might be a shock for my body so I might be losing a lot since I just started.. I work from home so I wasn't very active outside of the house chores but now I'm hitting the gym 4 times a week at least and burning 500+ calories per visit. Also.. I never used to eat like this before. Im pretty sure I ate over 2000 a day before.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Around 1500. I am 5'6" and currently weigh 177. I am aiming to lose .5-1 lb per week.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,303 Member
    Options
    I net my mfp calorie goal of 1200...and have lost safe and steady. I have not embraced exercise yet. I'm afriad to upset the balance of things going well now.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I net between 1400-1500.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    My net number goes up and down depending on how hungry I am, so I take it by week. My average is about 1200 a day.
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah pretty sure my body is in shock as well. I know my BMR is like 1850 or something but previously I was eating probably 2500-2600 and hadn't actually gained weight in about 2 years. My net is 1350 for 1 pound a week. I just eat how my body feels. If I'm hungry I eat and try to make better choices. If I'm not hungry, I don't. My biggest non-weight loss goal right now is portion control
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I net between 800-1200 calories. My BMR is 1347 and my TDEE is 2017. I eat around 1500 calories a day. I still don't quite understand the Net calories, I'm really really new at this, but I have someone on MFP who has been amazing motivation and help when it comes to the actual educational process. To me living healthy and looking good have so much more than just eating a certain amount of calories and working out.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    most days i net around 1200 calories thanks to exercise. depending on how active i am, and where i eat, i occasionally get up around 1800. my tdee is about 2000.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Wildly fluctuates depending on what I'm doing. I can be -500 one day and +1600 the next depending on if I only walked a mile, or if I ran 5, or maybe I went tubing with the kid, or wave jumping for four or five hours. I like mixing up my activities so sometimes I burn only 100 or 200 net cals a day and sometimes I'll burn as much as 2000. I go for a weekly average instead. My weekly net is 7700 - 8400 =).

Keep in mind I'm not on a set weight loss schedule. I don't freak when I gain a pound or two, don't freak when I lose two or three. I'm going for the whole have fun working out lifestyle change and to keep my blood pressure low, my cholesterol low, and my diabetes under control.

(And yes, sometimes I have my cake and eat it, too - just a really small piece!) :devil:
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I really love all the replies and that all of you have taken the time to help me out. It really does help me to get feedback regarding what other people are doing. Thanks :)
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 1600-1800
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I net anywhere between 900 and 1700 calories. Some days I simply am not as hungry, like last night, I netted about 1021 calories, but what I'd eaten was very filling although low in calories.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I currently eat 2000 cals....so on days I exercise I aim to net 1200-1500 cals. :)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    2400 or less when possible. Working on getting that down to 2000.

Well paint me blue and call me Papa Smurf. I just looked and apparently I'm netting far fewer than I thought, I'm down around 1700 to 2000. Go me.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was netting around 900 cals and stopped losing.. as I understand it you have to net over 1200 to be safe so I'm trying to net about 1300-1400 now.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Today 1520 but I did no exercise, it can vary but I try to keep it between 1550-1750