New runner - legs not lungs are the issue

Options
I'm a reasonable athlete (soccer, biking) but have never been a good, consistent distance runner. I'm now doing Couch to 5K, just finished week 2. I find while I'm running that I'm not out of breath so much as my legs get tired (lactic acid?). Has anyone else had this experience? Do I just need to build up my vascular fitness?

Replies

• mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My first mile can be hard, like my legs are fighting me...but then I settle in and they realize I am not stopping :) When I first started though, I would have to keep stopping and starting because they were so tired. I think it just takes time for your body to adjust. Keep at it!!
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I feel that way at mile 2.75/3 but I slow and power through. Just don't go too fast
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I walked slowly then picked up my walking speed over the course of two months. Then I started running. It was a slow and natural way to get my legs toned to handle the running. Just a suggestion. :flowerforyou:
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you are experiencing the "wall". When runners hit it, you just need to power through it in my opinion. I have the opposite problem...running past 2.5-3 miles I get the lung capacity problem...I have to run slower.

In biking i suffer from muscle fatigue after about the 20th mile or so, but I just power through it for the other 5 remaining miles.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I've had this issue, and relate it to the fact that I was carrying around too much extra weight that my legs just couldn't handle. Just keep losing, and keep doing the cardio. Your legs will catch up to your lungs.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    That's why you are doing c25k - it's meant to build up muscle and bone strength slowly, so you can avoid injury. Heart and lungs get stronger faster...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a few things...
    1) make sure you are getting enough water... I am chronically dehydrated and suffer weak legs a lot... but when I actually drink enough water, I don't end up feeling this way at all
    2) enough rest! Your body needs adequate rest to power the muscles... if you get enough sleep, you'll have more energy to continue
    3) work the leg muscles... add in some squats and calf work into your routine... even adding in some skipping will help.. I started doing boxing (which does exactly this) and I've gained a half minute on my pace! I used to struggle to maintain a 10 min mile... now I am easily under and working toward 9.5 min miles... (yeah, no speedy gonzales here, but it's great for me)
  • KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Great advice by all! I have just jumped full board into running about two weeks ago and one day got legs so sore I couldn't do a mile. Yesterday though I did 5 and feel fine today so I think it's all about building slowly. I'm trying to rest when my body says rest too ;)
  • Capekj51
    Capekj51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's counter-intuitive, but I've always heard that if your legs are getting tired, then you're not breathing in enough oxygen. And if you are struggling to breathe, it means your legs are not strong enough. So, it sounds like your lungs actually are where you need to improve. ;) Good luck!!
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth. When my breathing starts to the bottle neck, I swim more. When my legs start to be the bottle neck, I do more squats and lunges
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I found I had to do week 1 a few times before moving on to week 2. Don't go too fast and have a hot bath to ease your achy legs. It gets easier the more times you do it. I try and run on the grass verges we have at the side of the paths to be a bit easier on the knees! Good luck
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's counter-intuitive, but I've always heard that if your legs are getting tired, then you're not breathing in enough oxygen. And if you are struggling to breathe, it means your legs are not strong enough. So, it sounds like your lungs actually are where you need to improve. ;) Good luck!!

Interesting. Sounds like I'm doing it wrong... =(
  • iriska26
    iriska26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    To get a lactic acid build-up you must be exercising at 50-80% of you maximum aerobic capacity, or peak oxygen intake. This can only be sustained for a few minutes, and given that you are reasonably fit, is definitely not the level of effort you would expect in week 2 of C25k. Here's an article on two general causes of muscle pain, have a look if anything sounds suitable: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-lactic-acid-buil
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Great advice all, thanks. Sounds like I'm not going through anything out of the ordinary. It helps to know others have had the experience and some tools to handle it.
  • StevenDweeb
    StevenDweeb Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'll be devil's advocate here and say that distance running may do you more harm than good in the long run. Not having the proper stride, shoes etc can put a lot of strain on your joints, especially if you're pounding the pavement.
    Why not try interval training on a grassy surface -- fast paced walking at 6km/h with bursts of sprinting, either on flat ground or up hill for more intensity. You will burn more calories, and have far less stress on your joints from the repetitive pounding of jogging. Then mix it up by using biking to increase your endurance, as it won't create the same stresses on your joints.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do a short warm up and then stretch you legs. After your work out, due a longer stretch. Adding yoga to your routine will help as well.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I just finished week 1 and had the same concerns.
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You're welcome Irene, thanks for checking in.

Just to clarify, my legs aren't excruciating, but if something were going to hold me back I was surprised to find it's my legs and not my being out of breath.
  • Capekj51
    Capekj51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I find myself taking forever to decrease my lap times because when I force myself to run faster, I pound the pavement harder and wind up with shin splints! Then it takes weeks to recover. Not quite the same problem you are having, but it's been my biggest hurdle.