going camping and I'm scared of overeating and drinking...

Options
So I am going camping with some friends and my bf this weekend. I have been doing so good recently... Going to the gym at least 5 days a week, watching what I eat and so far, It has paid off. My body feels great and I am really happy :) .. but this whole camping thing is stressing me out. Around the camp fire at night, for sure I will want to eat marshmallows, chips, candys.. And even if I can resist, I know they will probably say something like : common it is just one weekend it wont kill you.!! And then, I will propably end up eating those, just so I don't feel like an outsider ( kinda hard to explain, I don't know if you understand.. but that is how I will feel). And on top of that all of the alcool.. OMG same thing there I will propably tell them that I want to have one drink or two but will end up drinking sooo much more. but I don't want too :( .. and before we leave we will all go eat breakfest at the restaurant . I don't know what to eat . I will be tempted to order eggs, bacon, patatoes, sausage.. ahhhhhhhh .. I'm going crazy just thinking about it .. what should I do ? :( please help I really need some advice and motivation

Replies

• 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I prepare my food in advance and stick it in containers so that I can grab easily. We usually go hiking while camping so that is a great way to burn a lot of calories as well.

Don't pack crap to eat, make sure you bring a lot of fruits, power bars, etc for fuel.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    The good news about camping is that you will probably be very active while you are there. Go on some long/difficult hikes, canoe or kayak, go horseback riding, mountain bike, etc. Let yourself have one smore and take your sweet time roasting that marshmallow and don't give in to the pressure of others. Drink one or two light beverages and sip them SLOWLY. No one will notice how fast you are drinking, but they might notice if you don't have a drink in your hand. If someone pressures you just think about how important your goals are and say "no thanks"--you don't owe them an explanation. For breakfast have some eggs with wheat toast, see if they have chicken or turkey sausage, add a side of fresh fruit, etc. It's totally doable! Do not get discouraged!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    So I am going camping with some friends and my bf this weekend. I have been doing so good recently... Going to the gym at least 5 days a week, watching what I eat and so far, It has paid off. My body feels great and I am really happy :) .. but this whole camping thing is stressing me out. Around the camp fire at night, for sure I will want to eat marshmallows, chips, candys.. And even if I can resist, I know they will probably say something like : common it is just one weekend it wont kill you.!! And then, I will propably end up eating those, just so I don't feel like an outsider ( kinda hard to explain, I don't know if you understand.. but that is how I will feel). And on top of that all of the alcool.. OMG same thing there I will propably tell them that I want to have one drink or two but will end up drinking sooo much more. but I don't want too :( .. and before we leave we will all go eat breakfest at the restaurant . I don't know what to eat . I will be tempted to order eggs, bacon, patatoes, sausage.. ahhhhhhhh .. I'm going crazy just thinking about it .. what should I do ? :( please help I really need some advice and motivation

I have two points that may seem conflicting and may not help you but I believe they are worth mentioning.

1) Who the F cares whether or not they approve of your food choices. It's none of their business. I can't tell where you are in your fitness journey based on your pic but I can tell you that at some point (and that may be now, it may be in a year, w/e), you will look better and be in better shape than ALL of your friends and at that point they ain't sayin' SH%T.

2) Your fear and anxiety over this event are more detrimental than the drinks and smores would be. I think you need to find a way to balance your diet with your social events, and while that's going to differ from person to person, for ME that means having the ability to ignore the food log occasionally and just be a normal person. For example, yesterday was my birthday and we're going for BBQ today and I've got a party tonight. I'm not going to BINGE, but I AM going to eat what I want and not worry about it.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Three things: One bring your own healthy snacks, Two: Plan on having one treat to look forward to, (It's easier to say no to chips if you love s'mores and are looking forward to it.) Three: Don't just don't overeat and drink. You are in control of what you put into your mouth. Until I realized and accepted this, I had problems with my husbands eating. After I accepted this, that problem just disappeared.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bring drinks that are a little healthier. etc. light beer instead of regular, diet coke and rum instead of rum and coke...
    its not much but a little bit of a difference.
    also, maybe try waking up before everyone and going for a jog?
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

I have two points that may seem conflicting and may not help you but I believe they are worth mentioning.

1) Who the F cares whether or not they approve of your food choices. It's none of their business. I can't tell where you are in your fitness journey based on your pic but I can tell you that at some point (and that may be now, it may be in a year, w/e), you will look better and be in better shape than ALL of your friends and at that point they ain't sayin' SH%T.

2) Your fear and anxiety over this event are more detrimental than the drinks and smores would be. I think you need to find a way to balance your diet with your social events, and while that's going to differ from person to person, for ME that means having the ability to ignore the food log occasionally and just be a normal person. For example, yesterday was my birthday and we're going for BBQ today and I've got a party tonight. I'm not going to BINGE, but I AM going to eat what I want and not worry about it.

This is right - sooner or later you're going to have to say that you are going to eat and do what you want to, not what someone else wants to. I gave up wine for Lent this year, which included my birthday, and my friends were most put out that I wouldn't drink any of the sparkling wine they'd bought for the occasion. I politely said no, that I'd already warned them I wasn't drinking wine, but they were welcome to enjoy the bottle between them which they did. It doesn't have to turn into a battle between you and your friends, say no politely, and sometimes allow yourself a little treat, especially if you can get some good long walks in :flowerforyou:
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options

THIS!

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I know they will probably say something like : common it is just one weekend it wont kill you.!!

They'll be right.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It really sounds like you are worried about eating and drinking in a way that makes somebody else happy and not yourself. It is one thing if you want that extra drink, or the chips, or the big breakfast, and quite another if you are eating it to make somebody else happy.

I also agree with Sidesteal that sometimes, you need to let go of the log and just enjoy a social event (because you want to, not to make someone else happy). Mental health is a great part of this as well.

To sum up: what is it you WANT to do? That is ultimately up to you to decide. If you want to cut loose this weekend, enjoy! Don't look back and don't feel guilty. If you want to stay on plan, well then, pack and plan accordingly and don't make yourself out to be a martyr because you are eating differently from everyone else.
  • Jillrw62
    Jillrw62 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's really hard when you are around friends who are not living the same lifestyle that you are working so hard to commit to. Sidesteal is right, dont worry to much about it, however I completely understand your anxiety; try to have fun and remember its more about being around your friends and having a great time, food is not going to ruin that experience. My advice is to spend some time meal planning before you go, see how many calories some things are and what you can afford to do (if you want to make one smore you will know how it is going to affect you, also no one is going to comment on you eating one of something). BRING HEALTHY SNACKS, dried apple chips are a great substitute. Trails are an incredible workout, maybe there is a way you can burn off some of the calories from the night before by getting up early to go for a run.

Let us know how it goes, good luck!
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    A) Be as active as you can! Help set up tents, take a few extra trips to the car, go on a walk in the morning after breakfast, swim, hike, chop some wood

B) At meals, make a plate and stick with it. On one hand, hanging out with friends and talking/laughing can help in the sense you may eat slower and realize you're full before you've cleared your plate, but more often than not, you're paying attention to your friends WHILE pawing food into your mouth.

C) It can feel awkward to turn down food/snacks/drinks since it can draw attention to you changing your lifestyle...if that is something that you want to avoid, go ahead and make that s'more, take a bite, and then make a point to get up and go get something (a jacket, bug spray, a drink) and chuck it if you don't want it. For drinks, go make your own...and add little or no alcohol. If you guys are drinking beer, get up to go 'get a beer' and offer to get other people one...hand them theirs and then keep drinking the beer you already had. They won't notice that you didn't get a full one because they'll be concentrating on theirs!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I am the worst with this as I do a lot of camping/hunting and stuff......I would suggest that if you do cave and eat junk.....make sure you LIMIT what you are eating....pick a couple of things that are your favorite...and only allow yourself a small amount so that you don't feel like an outsider but you are also not binging. Go for walks or hikes or a swim to keep active which will compensate for some of it.

Good luck....its super hard....Mind over matter.......I'm 6 months pregnant and I have yet to cave to all my cravings...When you deprive yourself completely....that's usually when you start binging..... I do not deprive...just control myself.......My midwife is impressed that I have only gained healthy baby weight and that I am not unhealthy bubble from using pregnancy as an excuse to eat sh/t.

You COULD DO THIS!!!!! And you could do it and still have fun!!!! Trust me....you can't fook with a preggo chick and food!

Just remember Mind Over Matter......and Goals are put in place for you to SUCCEED. Have a fantastic trip!!!! :drinker:
  • abencase
    abencase Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    1. Pack Snacks
    2. Skinny Girl cocktails will help on drinking cals
    3. Breathe
    4. If you decide to eat what everyone else is eating just cut it in half
    5. You will be pleasantly surprised with yourself... When the smell of s'mores and booze hits your nose you will find yourself saying things like I worked my tail off the past couple weeks and Im not going to let it be in vain!
    6. If 1-5 does not happen, it really is one weekend. Lifestyle changes take time and patience. If you do great you will be proud if you dont do so hot you will be upset but you will know what you need to work harder at. You cant stress about it though. It just makes it worse. Have a healthy attitude going in and dont be so concerned about food and cals that you dont enjoy your trip. Good luck!
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh I get it. Everyone knows that I have been on this journey for almost a year and i was afraid they would either judge my little indulgences and be like "That's how she got fat in the first place" or I was afraid they would criticize me for eating to little or being to picky. I got a few comments about how I should probably go for a run while eating my smore or that they themselves "would starve to death if they only had half a hamburger and half a hot dog for dinner." They don't get so I don't let them bother me. Actually, after the trip I had another friend join mfp.

When I went camping, I did my best to plan ahead. I knew I wanted smores so I entered a smore into my database. My brain now knows what that smore will cost me so I savor the one I have and it made me think twice about having another. I did the same for alcohol. I brought skinnygirl sangria because that is the drink of my choice and I know how many calories each glass is. There were some nights that I had 2.5 glasses but I knew the calorie cost and had adjusted my diet and activity to reflect that. I also make it a rule to drink a full cup of water after each alcholic beverage to avoid hangover and it helps me feel fuller. Also, if you're drinking out of solo cups, no one can see what you are drinking. :)

I second the idea that while camping you are just naturally more active. Keep that in mind and do things with the aim of getting your heart rate up. Go kayaking, walking, or hiking. You can even burn calories on a paddleboat!

As for the restaurant, just be mindful. Think of what you would really enjoy eating and try to make it a bit healthier. For me personally, I love fried eggs. I can't make them to save my life so I have to get them at a restaurant. So, for a splurge breakfast, I would get 2 fried eggs, wheat toast, and fruit. If meat is your thing, go for egg whites and turkey sausage/bacon.

Good luck hon. If you really want to stick with plan, it can be done. But also, if you go over a bit, it's not the end of everything. Good luck!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Can't tell you how much I appreciate that common sense, real life approach and attitude. You're the man, SS.
  • crazy_mims
    crazy_mims Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    wow tx alot guys :) I really do appreciate it .. The support system of MFP is trully amazing. I will keep those comments in mind :)
  • alison0511
    Options
    These people are making some really good points. I understand where you're coming from -- I just got back from a full week of camping with family and friends, and I was also nervous that there would be a lot of temptations and it would be a set-back when I got on the scale back at home. It was also the first time in 2 months that I would not be logging my food on MFP, because I was without internet connection for a week. I knew though that I just needed to try to be smart-- not perfect, but smart.. because after doing this for 2 months, I have learned enough to be a better judge of what foods to eat and how much, and I just needed to trust myself! So I made sure I watched my portions at meal time, and didn't go back for seconds. I made sure to keep active -- 3 or 4 days of the week I went on long walks/hikes, and we also did some swimming and played volleyball. If you have a chance to do any fun & active stuff like that, take advantage of it, especially if your body is used to going to the gym 5 days a week. And then I allowed myself some treats that I wouldn't normally have (ice cream, s'mores), just because I was on vacation, and was OKAY with it. I still didn't go CRAZY on that stuff... but kept with the motto of not striving for perfection, but still trying hard to make smart food choices/portions, while allowing myself a little wiggle room, because who wants to be that strict on vacation? I thought when I got home that I may have gained a couple, but was thrilled that I was down 1/2 a pound! And now I'm hitting it hard again since I'm back to normal life.

The other thing to think about is your priorities, as many have said. Only you can answer whether it is more important to you to keep working hard toward your goals and feeling good about your healthy lifestyle... or if it is more important for you to not feel "like an outsider" in a group of people who apparently don't share your health and fitness goals. Or maybe think about it this way -- which will end up making you feel worse afterward? Saying no to a second s'more or another handful of chips, or feeling guilty about losing ground on your fitness goals when you get back home? There's really no reason you can't find a happy medium like I did. I didn't feel deprived of anything (even though I limited my junk food, I still had some) but I also don't feel like I sabotaged all the work I've put in toward my fitness so far in the process.

If getting fit is important to you, which is sounds like it is and you've been proud of your recent hard work... then you will need to learn how to cope and live in a world where people (especially those close to you) are not going to have the same views on food as you do, and figure out how to make it work. Whether it's now at camping, or a party you go to, or a holiday... you need to figure out how you can continue to make smart choices in the face of temptation, or you will end up feeling stressed like this every time. Sometimes that means saying "no thanks" and sometimes it means "I can afford to have a little fun today, but I'm not gonna overdo it". For me.. it all comes down to planning ahead and being prepared. Make sure you pack a lot of healthy snack options to keep you full so that chips and candy are NOT the only things around staring you in the face when you're feeling munchy. Don't go into meals or campfire time starving, or that will end badly. And for being good at restaurants, I don't know where you're going... but if they have a website, you can probably look up the menu ahead of time and figure out some Nutrition Facts... so that you have a better idea of what to order when you get there. If you can't find that info, then try for something like eggs and wheat toast, and take it easy on the breakfast meats, hashbrowns, pancakes, etc... that you probably know can skyrocket your calories and everything else. If you really want some, have 1 strip of bacon or 1 sausage link... but not 3, you know? Opt for a fruit cup in place of something else. Little tweaks here and there make a big difference if you are willing to do them.

I hope that your friends and especially your bf respect you enough not to give you such a hard time if they know that this is something important to you that you're proud of... and if not, then I hope you can respect yourself enough to care more about what you think of yourself than what they think of you. Best of luck though! And Happy Camping!! :smile:
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How about you just have fun with your friends for the weekend and then when you get back you can continue doing as great as you were before.

It's supposed to be a fun weekend and you are nullifying it with all your worry.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    When I go camping, I am very active - hiking, unpacking, moving all the time.

I also only go camping a few weekends a year, weekends I love.

Therefore, I eat s'mores. I eat chips. I drink beer. I don't count calories. I'm not on a diet, I'm living a healthier life. My healthier life sometimes involves indulgences.

Then, the moment I get back, I'm right back to tracking calories and hitting the gym. I might go up a few pounds due to water retention, but it will all even out in the end. And even if it didn't even out, so what? It will set me back like a week from reaching my goal max? I'm cool with that. I don't care how quickly I reach my goal, but I do care about loving my life, enjoying time outdoors in the summer, and formulating a plan I can sustain forever. Deprivation is not conducive to that.

All that said, if you choose to stick to your plan, who cares what your friends say?