I'm afraid to update my weight!

Options

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I would record your progress so that you know your progress and others can support you. If you weigh yourself more than once a week, maybe choose one day to officially record.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    weight naturally fluctuates. I weigh sun and thurs officially and write those #'s down but I sneak peek at the scale occasionally inbetween but I don't record those. That way I'm not continually going up and down a pound.
  • di2losew8
    di2losew8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You should only weigh in one time a week. The same time, same place, wearing basically the same thing. I think if you want to look at the scale again during the week that's ok but don't record it. we fluctuate so much from day to day. I know i can be up 3 lbs. one day from water retention and the next day be down a pound. So don't frustrate yourself like that!
  • Harleene
    Options
    I've been on mfp for a couple months and weighing myself regularly (1-2 times a week in the morning). I have been surprised by two things that affect my weight....taking allergy medicine makes my weight drop usually by 2 pounds or more! And eating lowfat cottage cheese and canned green beans -- two things I absolutely love -- but both are high in sodium and send the scale in the upward direction. Knowing these things has helped me cope with the highs and lows. Hope this helps.
  • cassiee1234
    cassiee1234 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i weight myself every morning at the same time, before breakfast. When i can feel that my body's getting into the swing of loosing afew hundred grams or so every day then i'll record my weight everyday. But when it's in it's intital stage of rediculous fluctuation and water retention I only record me weight every few days or once a week on the same days. It's really up to you and how your bodys working :)
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    I only weigh on Monday's otherwise I'm a slave to the scale and I tend to fluctuate a lot depending on the day so Monday is my day.
  • ruby_dragon
    Options
    THIS!
  • Thechubbygrl
    Thechubbygrl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As others of said it's try not to be a slave to the scale. Pick one day every week and step on it first thing in the morning (preferably naked or in the same thing each time) then to record your weight. If you want to get on it, on other random time of the week or day, that's fine and it can be fun to see a 9lb weight loss. But don't record it or put stock into it until that specified day of the week you've chosen.
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you,re really worried about it shooting up, wait until next week to update it. You don't need to update your weight every single week, and by then any loss should be a loss you trust a little more.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Personally, I log everytime I see a low. Keeps me motivated.

I do this too. It gives my next goal to shoot for. For example, today I weighed a new low of 174.6 pounds. So, my new goal is to get anything below this.

That's exactly what I do also. Whether or not it goes up a little with normal fluctuations, I did lose that weight. In the long run, it keeps going down.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    I've decided to go the route of weighing myself when I choose, but only recording it on Fridays. I use the scale available at my office to weigh myself since I think it's more accurate than the cheap one I have at home. On my scale, you can weigh yourself, get one number, step right back on and get a few pounds different. The one at the office is like the kind at a doctor's office.

So I just did my Friday weigh in...down 5 more pounds! Yay me! :)
  • hpettenger
    hpettenger Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Why not just pick one day and time per week to weigh in (Example- I weigh every Sunday morning as soon as I wake up)

You can weigh other times, but only record this one day, even if you see a gain.

Ditto. I weigh once a week, so I don't stress over stupid numbers. By the time my weigh day comes I don't even remember what my weight was for the previous week. It helps me focus on the work at hand and not the numbers.
  • puzuk
    puzuk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should only weigh in one time a week. The same time, same place, wearing basically the same thing. I think if you want to look at the scale again during the week that's ok but don't record it. we fluctuate so much from day to day. I know i can be up 3 lbs. one day from water retention and the next day be down a pound. So don't frustrate yourself like that!

Here Here!
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but only record once a week on Tuesday. If it's much higher or lower than I expect, I will wait to record it until I weigh myself again on Wednesday to see if it was a fluke.

A few years ago, I lost 50+ lbs with some Weight Watchers and some South Beach Diet. I kept it off for a few years, but slowly gained it back. During the time that I was slowly gaining it back, I would RARELY weigh myself. It was like "Oooh, I should weigh myself. Uh oh... up 6 lbs... I need to eat more salad or something." Then forget about it completely until 4 months later and then I stepped on the scale and had another "uh oh" moment. Then slowly.... stopping weighing myself at all.

So for me, I need to weigh myself every day now to keep myself on track. I've made it part of my new routine, for better or worse. Wake up, go potty, get undressed, weigh myself, take a shower.

Anyhow, different people have different habits, but for tracking weight loss most pick one day a week to record it.
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've decided to go the route of weighing myself when I choose, but only recording it on Fridays. I use the scale available at my office to weigh myself since I think it's more accurate than the cheap one I have at home. On my scale, you can weigh yourself, get one number, step right back on and get a few pounds different. The one at the office is like the kind at a doctor's office.

So I just did my Friday weigh in...down 5 more pounds! Yay me! :)

Congrats!!! (celebrate by buying yourself a new scale? lol)
  • SueGlazier
    SueGlazier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning first thing and every night just before getting into bed and record this for my own records but only update it on MFP when I have lost anything. I have noticed weekly pattern. We have pizza on a friday night for dinner and this obviously makes me retain some water, so my saturday and sunday weights are usually slightly up on the friday am weight. Thats not a problem now as I know that by monday pm or tuesday am I will have lost the water weight and this is the figure I am working on. My weight can fluctuate by 2lb between morning and bed time weigh ins so again that does not worry me.
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning when I get up and record it. I cheat though. Even if I weight the same, my scale lets me track Body Fat Percentage, Total Body Water Weight, Muscle Weight and Bone Mass. Knowing all of those things I have had some days where I gained two pounds over a course of a week, but the body fat percentage went down and the muscle mass went up. The only catch is that I have to do the weight in the morning and the body fat and other numbers about an hour before dinner to be accurate on both counts.

Information is key though. You can better track the effects of certain foods or eating habits when you provide more to the system. Knowing the other numbers helps keep the discouragement away because I can recognize I am still making progress. I really don't care if I stay at 240 lbs as long as I am back under 20% body fat and I'm healthy. At that point I could care less about an inaccurate BMI and all the other ridiculous numbers the health & life insurance companies and government rely on.

This is what I am using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L6NTHU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I generally weight myself almost every day, and there are frequently small fluctuations. I don't log it as a weight loss unless I see the same lower weight two days in a row
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why not just pick one day and time per week to weigh in (Example- I weigh every Sunday morning as soon as I wake up)

You can weigh other times, but only record this one day, even if you see a gain

this^

^^^ Agree with this.

Once per week at the same time on the same day of the week. That keeps it more consistent.
  • lulu3561
    lulu3561 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    OWN IT! good advice is to pick a day and use that day as your "official" weigh in you should also weigh in around the same time of the day. I know how you feel everytime I lose more than 2 pounds in a week I start doubting and and think it must be a fluke. But if I lose less than 2 I beat myself up. One week I lost 8.6 pounds and it took 3 more weeks for me to believe it was real..because I thought I would just put it back on the next week. Sometimes the scale doesn't reward you in the same week...but track this and if you go up a pound next weigh in remember as long as you are eating right and exercising it's not FAT your gaining. Keep up the great work and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! :happy: