Digital Tablets!

Options
SoDamnHungry
SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
Hi everyone!

I'm going on vacation soon, and I don't have a smart phone. I don't want to get one since now you HAVE to get a plan with them, and I can't justify the cost. So I was thinking I should get a digital tablet to go places and mooch wifi with, since that's really all I need it for. Maybe to look up a local restaurant from a hotel, or something like that. Does anyone have any really cheap tablet recommendations? The iPad just isn't worth it for my uses, so something around that cost isn't really a suggestion I would use. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Try one of the eBook readers that use Android OS. The Kobo one is awesome, and is relatively cheap (less than $200 here in Canada, so probably even less in the U.S.).
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I've got the Acer Iconia A500...my kids love it, you can get all the Android apps on it and it's pretty quick. I use it whenever I travel and it's pretty slim. The battery lasts a ridiculous amount of time, over 8 hours.

It usually runs over $300 but you can get it refurbished or used on ebay for around $200.00
  • stephendamour
    Options
    I got a google nexus 7 and it is nothing short of amazing.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I wish the nexus had a 10. 7 just isn't awesome enough by a factor of 3. Im looking at an A700, $500 though :(
  • redhotredneck
    redhotredneck Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I just got a Kyros tablet. It has works well for basic things, and playing games, etc.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Does anyone have one of those shady, off brand, dirt cheap ones?
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I don't, but check out Craigslist...right around the 15 and 1st of the month, people will sell some dirt cheap stuff bc they are trying to make rent or car payments. If you haggle, you'll likely get anywhere from 50-75% of the asking price.

Just make sure you know what you're buying.