quicky easy work lunches!

Options
hi everyone,
i was just wondering what you guys have for lunch at work?
or simple lunch ideas?

im getting sick of taking a sandwich to work everyday :(
at work i only have a fridge to store it in and a micro wave to cook food in thats it!

so i was wondering (and many other are probably too) what you guys eat! :)))

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Leftovers! Grilled or stir-fried chicken is good either cold or reheated. I also had some veal and kasha that was rather tasty at room temperature. You might also want to look at the Just Bento website, where they have a bunch of ideas based on the idea of appropriate portions, portability, and survivability at room temperature.
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Black bean hummus on a whole wheat pita, cottage cheese, raw veg, and a tukey sausage.
    Left overs.
    Salads.
    Chicken or turkey salad w/ olive oil mayo, onoins, chives.
    Sushi
    Yogurt, granola and berries.
  • Puddles0308
    Options
    I generally stick to hummus w/ pretzels, protein shake/bar or raw fruit/veggies for my work lunches. I find any of them filling and easy to transport.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well if you have a microwave at your place of work, then Steam Fresh vegetable bags. They are great. Quick and simple. Keep me full, loads of fiber and low calorie. I prefer the Italian blend personally.

Leftovers always a great option.

Cold pasta salad is great this time of year...and if you use whole wheat, pretty healthy.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I usually take the same/similar every day. Veggie bolognaise/veggie meatball pasta.

50g wholewheat Penne
    50g Quorn mince/meat-free meatballs
    Sweetcorn, peppers, onions, tomato pasta sauce & 25g Feta cheese.

Around 370 calories, high protein and fibre. :love:
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    I make a big bowl of salad at the beginning of the week and take that pretty much everyday. Now I know what you are thinking....salad? uggh!! But wait.......I throw in any of the following to make it delicious and filling........cheese (I mix up what kind), tuna, avocado's, soy nuts, hemp hearts, apples, pecans, grapes, chicken........really anything I can think of.......hope that helps :)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    If you think ahead the night before or even when you first wake up, lunch is going to be much easier to make interesting.

You could make extra food the night before and immediately portion out a serving to save for lunch. You could also slice up whatever meat you made the night before and save that for a salad topper. Just store it separately from the salad so you can heat it up if you'd like.

Also, if you like eggs, I've discovered that you can make egg scrambles in minutes in the microwave. Bring your favorite veggies, some cheese, sliced ham and a couple of eggs. Then all you have to do it beat them together and microwave, stopping every minute or so to scramble.

Also, I know this sounds odd but it's a meal that can be stored in the fridge and doesn't need to be heated. I like to take cottage cheese and mix it with avocado, onions, tomatoes, canned chicken and plenty of pepper and then stuff it in half of a pita. It's a yummy, filling, and quick lunch that has a lot of protein and good fats.

Oh and flat breads can make a nice pizza. They're better if cooked in a toaster oven but you can definitely heat them up in the microwave if you cook them before you go to work or the night before. Simply spread some pizza sauce (or marinara, or spaghetti sauce) on the flat bread, add cheese, top with your favorite toppings and toast until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Slice it and store it in the refrigerator to take to work and heat in the microwave the next day.

Variety is important to me so I try to change things up a lot. I hope this helped some. Let me know if you would like any more suggestions.
  • kittymeeowmeeow
    kittymeeowmeeow Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you think ahead the night before or even when you first wake up, lunch is going to be much easier to make interesting.

You could make extra food the night before and immediately portion out a serving to save for lunch. You could also slice up whatever meat you made the night before and save that for a salad topper. Just store it separately from the salad so you can heat it up if you'd like.

Also, if you like eggs, I've discovered that you can make egg scrambles in minutes in the microwave. Bring your favorite veggies, some cheese, sliced ham and a couple of eggs. Then all you have to do it beat them together and microwave, stopping every minute or so to scramble.

Also, I know this sounds odd but it's a meal that can be stored in the fridge and doesn't need to be heated. I like to take cottage cheese and mix it with avocado, onions, tomatoes, canned chicken and plenty of pepper and then stuff it in half of a pita. It's a yummy, filling, and quick lunch that has a lot of protein and good fats.

Oh and flat breads can make a nice pizza. They're better if cooked in a toaster oven but you can definitely heat them up in the microwave if you cook them before you go to work or the night before. Simply spread some pizza sauce (or marinara, or spaghetti sauce) on the flat bread, add cheese, top with your favorite toppings and toast until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Slice it and store it in the refrigerator to take to work and heat in the microwave the next day.

Variety is important to me so I try to change things up a lot. I hope this helped some. Let me know if you would like any more suggestions.

I just made (and ate) the Pita recipe above. It was pretty good! I'm glad I stopped after one sandwich, it really was filling. I would have been stuffed if I ate two :) I'm out of pepper and didn't think it would matter, but YES it definitely needs it. :)
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have just started with making mason jar salads at the beginning of the week and they are staying pretty well in the fridge, just grab one each morning. I also had someone suggest trying bento box lunches and I have been checking those out online. Think I might try those next week.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Here's some things that make their way into my lunch box from time to time: lettuce wraps, tortilla rollups, leftover stir fry (or whatever was for dinner last night), tuna on the go cups and baked crackers, carrots and hummus, pita chips, string cheese, laughing cow cheese, apples, bananas, oranges, beef jerky, yogurt, salads (make sure to keep the dressing seperate or it gets soggy!), blueberries, strawberries and nutella, nectarines, etc. I hope this helps! :)
  • fallser
    fallser Posts: 14
    Options
    Fage Greek yogurt with 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp chia seeds, and 1 tbsp mini chocolate chips (bad sugar, but makes me feel like Greek yogurt is really ice cream)

OR

Quinoa with grilled chicken, bell peppers, cucumbers, grape or cherry tomatoes, maybe corn, maybe diced mango, fresh lime juice, salt, pepper to taste. I make a big bowl of this on Sunday & it lasts for 4 lunches. Quinoa is fantastic because you can really add anything to it!