Indoor Workouts?

Options
Hi everyone! So, here I go again... I would like to think that many of you have felt the same as I. When I was in my early twenties, I lost over 70 lbs, so I got cocky and said, "I can take this weight off any time I want." Now, I am 30, over 200 lbs, and I am having to break it down in a pretty strict way in order to even begin to feel healthier again. I drank too much, ate too much... all in the pursuit of a culinary career that I am chasing down. So, my biggest challenge right now is to continue to create foods that represent my culinary point of view, but that I can also EAT right now and still stay under my calorie goals... Paul Deen is one of my heroes, guys, so you KNOW I'm in trouble...

In addition to that, I have a beautiful four year old daughter with autism. She has been my biggest inspiration. I feel like it has been my battle with the ugly A-word that caused me to self-sabatoge and head down a road of carelessness. This doesn't just apply to my weight, it's my hair, my nails, my skin... my overall appearance. I have, in recent times, felt very selfish focusing on me instead of her. So much so, that I have gone too far in my own neglect.

So, here I am. Because of my passions, I understand food very well. And I'm doing okay on that part, I think... But I sure do need some help with exercise. I only have 2 days out of the week where a luxury like the gym is possible, because my daughter is my shadow the other days. She can walk with me, but I am unable to maintain a brisk tempo because I leave the poor little monkey in my dust! I have carried her on my back before... but that caused some one on one time with the heating pad later. I think that I need is a GREAT indoor workout. Does anyone have any ideas? I sure would appreciate them.

Thank you guys for listening to my story. Sorry so long. I promise I won't always be a Wordy McWorderson in my posts... Happy, healthy days to you all!!

Christie

Replies

• WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i use workout dvds in doors
  • CLebon
    CLebon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wii Active and Wii Fit is brilliant if you can keep up the motivation. Wii Active doesn't need the board.
  • tamarads
    Options
    I use the walking dvds when the weather is bad!
  • rclemens12
    Options
    Just started P90x indoors all the time.........
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Right now my indoor routine is mostly Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred but I like to mix things up at times. There are LOADS of dvds and also online videos that are good. Exercisetv has many, many videos (OnDemand and at their website) and lots of them are short so you can always fit one in. Youtube also has a bunch of good workouts and so does Sparkpeople.com.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    walk away the pounds... love it! they also have a walk and jog. it's a great workout!
  • laralou
    laralou Posts: 21
    Options
    i would have to agree with this. I did P90X for awhile i just have a horrible hectic schedule that i ended up switching to the gym. It's easier for me to go there in the morning before work then to do P90X after work. But believe me P90X will rock your world. Very hard at times and you get all kinds of great things with it as well. Eating guide and calender to track your sucess and it is never borning you do a different video each day. I would totally recommend. Good luck ;)
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more advice on workouts. DVDs can be good, you just have to find something you'll enjoy. I like dance based cardio workouts myself. I do want to encourage you though, about your daughter. My son will be 6 in March, and was diagnosed with Autism about a year ago. There was a long time where I really didn't feel like I could go to the gym or anything because of the problems he had going new places. He has improved so much, though. He eventually got to where he would get used to a new place and I would try him out at the gym. He got used to it, and then I could go regularly. I guess the main thing I want to say is that it does get better, and be prepared for her to amaze you with what she can and will do:smile:
  • sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    I have carried her on my back before... but that caused some one on one time with the heating pad later.

Try a jogging stroller outside. It is bigger and roomier so a 4 yr old should not mind it.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    How is P90x? I am SO curious...
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i use on demand for workouts to do at home so if you have cable you could try those and if you find one you love buy it also i agree with sssrip try a jogging stroller we bought one last summer at Once Upon a Child for a quarter of the price and it was barely used at all. Our 3 year old still has plenty of room in it so your 4yr should be fine. good luck
  • snyder06
    Options
    I totally reccommend The Biggest Loser for the Wii. You only have to work out 3 times a week with the routines varyiong from 18min to 28min. And they set up the schedule for you. I have only lost 4lbs in two weeks but it fits into my schedule. Though I must warn you I consider myself active and the first couple of times it kicked my butt.
  • melthomk
    Options
    A circuit workout is great. Repeat the next 6 exercises 6 times in a row. Don't stop to take a break until your have completed one compete set of all six exercises. As you get better at it you can increase the reps and time for each exercise. If you really push yourself, and don't allow more than 30 seconds in between each set, you will feel the burn. My trainer puts me through a variation on this program from time to time, and I always feel it for a couple of days! Good luck.
    1.Jumping rope or running on the spot: Time 1 minute
    2.Squats: 25
    3. Push-ups: 10
    4: Chin-knees: (Chin to knees sit-ups) 10
    5. Burpees without the pushup: 10
    6. Tricep dips: (Use a chair or bench or a stair): 10
  • nwilds87
    Options
    I love Zumba. Great workout and the best part is the time goes by so fast you don't realize how long you have been at it. Now they have Zumba toning to do with the cardio part of the workout. I've also heard that the Biggest Loser for Wii is good I've been thinking about trying that.
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Wii fit - I LOVE it! If you play the Wii Fit game that comes with the balance board, you'll have a blast....at least I do. I have a 4 year old daughter and we created a Mii for her so that she could play some of the games, too. One of the activities in the Wii Fit Plus game is a penguin feeding frenzy. You stand on the balance board and shift your weight from side to side to tilt an ice berg on the screen. There's a little penguin on the ice berg and as it tips, he slides on his belly. The point of it is to get him to slide towards the fish that are jumping on the ice berg from both ends. I get just as much of a workout playing it as I do when it's my daughter's turn and I'm doubled over in laughter while listening to her laugh her head off at the silly penguin.

I also purchased The Biggest Loser game and I found even the light workout was a decent workout. I have hundreds upon hundreds of indoor-no-equipment-required workouts that I've ripped from health & fitness mags/printed from the internet. The problem with those routines is that no one is there to push me and I slack off (plus I find some of the moves to be really uncomfortable).

I love The Biggest Loser game because if you "slack off" then Bob or Jillian (whoever you've chosen to "train with") will call you out on it. Plus you have the advantage of being able to watch them as you do each move thus you're constantly aware of how your stance should look.

But everyone has their own workout style. Have a look online to see if there are any indoor workouts that tickle your fancy. I used to get a lot of mine from women's health magazine online: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness

Good luck! Whatever the activity is, make sure it's something you enjoy! :)
  • rclemens12
    Options
    SO far, I LOVE P90x.......It's intense as hell but it's worth it........60 min three days a week......90 minutes the other three because you should add the "Ab Ripper". For me, two days down, 89 to go.......my body feels like it's dying but I AM waiting for the re-birth......