Accuracy of Exercise Database?

Options
I go to different classes each week day and I have just been using "Aerobics - General," but I wonder how accurate the calories burned really is?

The classes I do are Cardio/Core which is like switching between pretty high paced cardio and then ab work; Circuit - like non-stop cardio with a step; On the Ball - core work on a big ball with a little cardio; and Cardio Dance, which is a bit less impact it would seem, no step, just some jumping and arm movements with a little ab work at the end.

What's a good way to find out how many calories I am actually burning during these classes? They are 45 minutes long and even when I "take it easy" I'm huffing and puffing and sweating my butt off cause I'm so out of shape.

Would it be safe to say "Aerobics - General" is accurate? Seems to me that compared to some of the other more specific ones, this one gives a higher calories burned amount than the others, but I don't know what to compare the classes I take to.

Replies

• heidi878
    Options
    I know what you mean - I work out 4 times a week, twice including strengh/weight stuff - however, when I add my strengh exercises to MFP its shows no cals burned what so ever ! Ok, so I dont do hundreds of reps but even lifting some weight still burns some calories. I just end up adding a few extra mins onto whatever cardio I've done.. Maybe something MFP needs to take a look at :0)
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this too! What I have done is asked the class instructor on the average calories burned in that class and then create my own exercise and put the lowest number the instructor tells me (just to be safe).

Usually the instructor knows, if not, I have had the instructor tell me that she will wear her calorie burner and let me know next time. ;D
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I took a HRM to my kickboxing class this morning and I've never sweated so much in my life. Lots of movement, some high impact aerobic activity but my HRM said I burned 415 calories, which is about half of the MFP database.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I took a HRM to my kickboxing class this morning ... but my HRM said I burned 415 calories, which is about half of the MFP database.

I agree with Linanil and Diem78, my HRM records generally about half of what MFP suggests for all my exercises.

To be accurate, either purchase a HRM or cut your caloric expenditure by 50% for input exercise.
  • rayraygbs
    Options
    I completely agree with the HRM! when i do my 30ds i log as circuit training and it says 350ish calories burned, but i used my HRM and it was only 215. there are so many factors that it's hard to make it accurate, weight, age, how hard you are actually working...