Yo-Yo Dieter

Options
Yes, that's me, a yo-yo dieter. This is actually my third time using MyFitnessPal in three years. I lost a stone and then gained it back so lost it and then gained it again. I was all set to try again when I had a skiing accident in February 2012. I tore two ligaments, fractured my tibia and damaged my patella. In 5 months I've gained another stone and now I'm back to my heaviest ever with a penchant for an evening glass of wine to dull the pain in my knee. Not good.

So here I am again, and hopefully third time lucky. Rehabilitation for my damaged knee has made me join a gym for the first time ever where I'm cycling, using a cross-trainer and doing a series of physio strengthening exercises. I'm desperate to lose the weight as I know the less weight my knee is bearing the faster I will get better.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who is in a similar situation, and good luck to everyone.

Replies

• cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I have been a yo-yo dieter and last year I hurt my foot (plantar fasciitis) which makes it painful for me to walk/run, which was the bulk of my exercise.

I now have an exercise bike that gets a lot of use, and I'm doing more strength training, so I found a workaround for not being able to go on long walks or for a jog.

As far as diet, I swear I finally found the one. Check out "Eat to Live" by Dr Fuhrman. Since starting it 6 weeks ago, I've lost 26 lbs, and I'm eating quite a large volume of very healthy food. My hunger cravings are gone between meals, and I haven't felt this good since I can't remember when.

www.drfuhrman.com
  • barfleurjo
    Options
    Thanks for the tip I'll check out the Eat To Live, though 26lbs in 6 weeks sounds a bit fast to be honest, I wonder if there are any health ramifications losing that much so quickly.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you were eating previously, but try to incorporate foods that you typically love to eat this time around that you may consider "cheating". Instead of choosing a 'diet' that limits you, just eat good food and stay within your macros. If you want some icecream, have it and don't feel guilty! That has helped me a lot. No 'dieting'!

Good luck! :drinker:
  • tezz1wifey
    tezz1wifey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am DEFINITELY a Yo-Yo Dieter. I have tried weight loss pills, no meat diets, no carb diets....JENNY CRAIG. None of it really stuck to me. I bought the Zumba fitness and it was fun but i got into a car accident some years back and damaged my left knee. It hurts from time to time. I have tried to exercise on it but after about a few weeks of exercise, my knee is in agonizing pain. I am on Mobic to help with my knee and the fluid build up

I was wondering how do i exercise with this continuous problem???

I have been to doctors but they only tell me to do light exercises. That s*** is not working. I have gained almost 80lbs since that accident.

Any suggestions???
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    I am DEFINITELY a Yo-Yo Dieter. I have tried weight loss pills, no meat diets, no carb diets....JENNY CRAIG. None of it really stuck to me. I bought the Zumba fitness and it was fun but i got into a car accident some years back and damaged my left knee. It hurts from time to time. I have tried to exercise on it but after about a few weeks of exercise, my knee is in agonizing pain. I am on Mobic to help with my knee and the fluid build up

I was wondering how do i exercise with this continuous problem???

I have been to doctors but they only tell me to do light exercises. That s*** is not working. I have gained almost 80lbs since that accident.

Any suggestions???

Have you considered swimming? Water aerobics, aqua zumba, etc. might be a good option for you. :)
  • wolfhustler
    Options
    Thanks for the tip I'll check out the Eat To Live, though 26lbs in 6 weeks sounds a bit fast to be honest, I wonder if there are any health ramifications losing that much so quickly.

Yeah, you will look like a shar pei and need skin removal surgery. Better to go the 1-2 recommended so your skin can adapt. Much cheaper in the long run.
  • tezz1wifey
    Options
    I LOVE TO SWIM. I tried to join the YMCA but its not affordable at the moment. :-) I wish i had a friend that had a pool in their back yard. lol. But when i can afford it for me and my kids, then i will definitely look into that option.

THANX!!!!
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    I LOVE TO SWIM. I tried to join the YMCA but its not affordable at the moment. :-) I wish i had a friend that had a pool in their back yard. lol. But when i can afford it for me and my kids, then i will definitely look into that option.

THANX!!!!

If money's the issue that's surprising that they weren't able to help you out with their scholarship program. :/
    Best of luck though! Maybe try a public pool/a friend with one in their apartment complex, haha.
  • tezz1wifey
    Options
    you know.....the complex is not a bad idea. lol. what scholarship program? they didnt mention that to me??
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    I know my local ymca has a scholarship application that you can fill out to get VERY cheap (sometimes like $10/month) membership. You might want to give them a call and see if they offer something similar! The classes at my local y cost around $3 each though (depending on your income) but it's still not bad.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    tclanton, my county has indoor pools that have aqua aerobics classes year round and open swim lanes during certain hours for lap swimmers. Look for such a facility near you...
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Well, people say it all the time. It's not a diet, but a lifestyle. Eat healthy, use portion control, and give yourself one cheat day once in awhile, and vow to stick to it forever. Make sure you exercise regularly, and feel free to friend me if you'd like!

I heard someone say (I forgot her name, but she was on tv) "I hate the word diet, for one thing it has the word 'DIE' in it, and for another thing it doesn't work!".

Good luck!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options

I know where you're coming from. The real focus of Eat to Live is to eat as healthfully as possible and the weight loss is a side effect of that decision (a very good one at that :)

Here is what Dr. Fuhrman has to say about fast weight loss.

"The traditional viewpoint is often stated that if you lose weight too rapidly it won't stick and you will gain the weight all back. I have never advocated that people be in a race to lose their excess weight, however, I see no reason to try to eat in a more unhealthful way or to force yourself to eat when you are not hungry under some notion that losing weight slower would be better. The reality is that if your body needs to shed unhealthy weight, and you are eating a nutritious, healthy diet, your body will drop its unhealthy weight relatively quickly on its own as you eat well, and it does this without starving yourself or gorging unnaturally."
  • barfleurjo
    Options
    Hi tclanton84, it is frustrating when the doctors say "light exercise" but don't really quantify it. My physiotherapist recommended swimming, and to do front crawl rather than breastroke as it exercises and strengthens the quads without putting weight on it. And also using a stationery bike in the gym. That's easier than cycling on a real bike as you don't have the fear of having to stop suddenly and possibly jar your dodgy knee. It's working well for me at the moment but I'm sure I'm just building some muscle and not losing any weight yet. It'll come I know, it's sticking at it that's so hard.