I Eat Raw Eggs

Options
It’s not because I think they have any nutritional benefit over cooked eggs, or because I’ve seen Rocky too many times (I admit I’ve actually never watched it). I just like the taste and convenience.

Before you say they are dangerous—I couldn’t agree more. That’s why I buy pasteurized eggs—this kills any salmonella and makes the eggs safe to eat raw.

They’re creamy and delicious and have the cool, refreshing appeal of raw oysters, without the fish taste. I say “cool, refreshing”, some people might say “slimy, nauseating”—to each their own :P

It doesn’t get much faster than eating them raw. Just crack and slurp. Right after the gym, if I’m extra exhausted, the last thing I want to do is get out the frying pan and cook something.

So there’s my little confession-- I enjoy eating raw eggs. Am I a complete crazy or does anyone else do this? :ohwell:

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    My brother does... except he does it with regular eggs because hes dumb.

I eat (almost) raw steak.. just sear the outside and the rest is fleshy goodness... but my eggs are always cooked somehow... except in cookie dough. I will eat the heck out of some cookie dough eggs be damned.
  • whitewhisper
    Options
    MrDude - I really want to try steak tartare. Have you ever had it? I love a juicy steak, well done is so dry and stringy. Medium rare for me.
    Anyway, I really want to try raw eggs but the eggs we buy are the cheapest so I don't think that would be very safe...
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Steak tartare is awesome. Rare steaks for me!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Raw Eggs and steak tartare Ewww!! :laugh: the rarest I go with food is sushi
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    MrDude - I really want to try steak tartare. Have you ever had it?

very thinly sliced? YES! awesome.
    ground up? hell no. I know enough about meat grinders to know better. lol.

the beauty of steak is it has a closed cell structure.. you only need to cook the outside of the meat, the inside is still sterile and safe... so if you slice it with a clean blade, its still great.

thats why i cringe when anyone orders a steak cooked more then 'medium rare' or 'pink in the middle' i understand some people wanting it cooked longer so its easier to digest.. or it being a texture thing.... but once the meat is no longer pink inside, you have ruined all the flavor, eliminated the moisture inside, and you might as well have ordered chicken.

now.. once you grind it all up, its only as clean as what you ground it with...
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    1320551069.jpg
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The protein has a lower bioavailability

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    Options
    That sounds convenient as hell and pretty good for you but I don't think i could get down with that hahaha, good for you and your gag reflexes though! :bigsmile:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    TheRockyHorrorPictureShow.jpg
  • hpettenger
    hpettenger Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    TheRockyHorrorPictureShow.jpg

OMG yes!!
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    oh major shudder! I am terrified of raw food. I like everything cooked to hell. I even overcook my fish, which apparently is a culinary no no. If I am asked how I want anything cooked I ask for burnt. I wish I could like raw and slightly less cooked, but then I start thinking about it too much and I have to push it away
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Try dropping a FRESH egg (not the mass produced eggs in super marts, but a locally grown "organic" egg from farmers market or something) and dropping it into a glass of sweet red wine and drinking it in morning. Its like a really creamy wine and has a nice texture and everything. I learned this technique when I was in Italy and Italians swear by this for optimal health.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Raw Eggs and steak tartare Ewww!! :laugh: the rarest I go with food is sushi

Oh god yes on the sushi! I do eat medium rare steak too... and cookie dough for certain. I don't know who HASNT stuck their finger in some good old cookie dough. xD

But raw eggs straight is too much for me. I barely like them cooked. xD They're slimy. But it doesn't make you crazy. People think sushi is gross cause it's raw! But it's delicious... to me. lol. So you're not crazy. :)
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The protein has a lower bioavailability

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

Thank your for this link, very interesting study.
  • darkhakai
    Options
    1320551069.jpg

This made me laugh more than I probably should have...! :laugh:
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I too eat my steak dripping with blood! Cut off the horns, slap it on the *kitten* and send it out on a plate lol. I like sushi too, but stay away from it here, as there are no real reputable sushi places to eat at. Raw eggs....I don't think I would have the guts to try it lol. I really don't like eggs in general(my tastes changed so much with pregnancies), although I still eat them, I think it would be a total mental thing to choke down a raw egg. After all it comes out of a chicken's butt :laugh:
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    1320551069.jpg

Haha ohmygod, what the hell...people can't really be this dumb.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a major thing with texture of foods, and I can't say that raw egg seems like it would do anything but make me gag. I can't do raw oysters, and since you made the comparison... Bleck... But to each their own, and more power to you. If you like it and they're pasteurized, have at it!
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people that eat raw eggs. Having them pasteurized takes away the danger. You must be craving something in it. I have probably eaten a lot in raw cookie dough in the past (plain old eggs! I eat spoonfuls of chorella and spirulina and people think I'm weird because I don't put it in a smoothie. I like wheat grass juice, too and people say ewwww it's gross and won't try it. For me, it's very nutritious and I crave it, so I drink it.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    GROSS, GROSS, GROSS, GROSS