Does having MFP friends really help?

Options
All,

While I am not new to MFP, I am new to the "community" aspect of it. For years I never even knew there were boards. Anyway, I am curious what people's feelings are on the benefits of having MFP friends. Does the added support, motivation and accountability help? As I am always looking for an edge and fearing that next plateau, I thought I would look into it.

Thank you and friend me if you think it will help us both!

Ted

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It helps some people. Some people don't need the help of a online group of friends so much, either because they've got supportive friends, or because they don't have much problems sticking to the program. If you've been going for years, without much problems, I'm guessing you're not the type of person that needs MFP friends. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have any, just that they might not help you that much.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Yep, and challenges are really helpful too. If I know I'm coming up on a rough weekend, I can ask my buddies to make sure I close my diary every day, and they will. It's great motivation to keep on track for me :)
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    it definitely does ! add me if youd like i update constantly :)
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Building a network on here has honestly been my #2 motivation in my fitness journey (#1 being my fiance, who lives with me and makes me get up in the morning to go to the gym even if I bite him for it). The interaction of having friends who applaud you when you do well and reassure you when you screw up is super helpful. Also, I love the crowd-sourcing of information when I have a question; everyone is going through (more or less) the same thing, so often my friends can answer questions for me when I need help figuring out my next move!
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like having people for support that are going through the same thing that I am. Most of my friends and family don't really know what it's like to struggle with their weight and have no clue. It's nice to have accountability and encouragement but some people don't need that.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would have had the same success without my amazing MFP friends. The cheers every time I do a workout, the feedback on my program, the mutual support - it rocks.
  • mocchioni
    mocchioni Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For sure it does. Anyone please feel free to add me for support for both of us.

Friends = Success

Mark
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I really think it does. It's really nice to know you are not the only one fighting this battle of the bulge (or if you are trying to gain, or just get fit, or whatever reason you came to MFP). It's nice for the support, the food ideas your friends put in their diaries, it's just nice knowing you aren't alone and that if you don't show up and log your food or log in, that there is someone out there that cares, that will shoot you an email, saying 'hey, you ok, miss you".
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    Yes. It's moral support. It's encouragement.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I did MFP for a couple of months without friends or boards. While the boards dont always add much (although I do find the search feature helpful for specific questions), my MFP friends are very supportive and helpful. Some dont post or comment a lot and thats fine but I do have a few that I communicate with daily. It helps me keep coming back and be involved. Plus, when Im faced with a hard decision, I ask myself "Do I really want to log this and have other ppl see it?"

ETA: Its really only supportive if you have the same goal. Friending a bunch of people that are 100lbs and super weight lifters is pointless to me. But women who are 200+ and need to lose a lot, that is supportive.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I find it very helpful for several reasons.

I have some great active friends who bug me when I'm away from the site, so that helps give me incentive when I've allowed life to get in the way of weight loss (it happens).

Also, seeing what other people are doing helps give me some great ideas, and I've received some occasional feedback that some of the stuff I'm doing is helping a few MFP friends get some new ideas. I don't have any real-life pals who are losing weight, so it's nice to interact with a few people who are.
  • Jghernan
    Options
    I am new to MFP. It has been an eye opener. My wife also joined MFP and I think that has given me tons of strength to lose weight and get back in shape.
  • m0mofw4r
    m0mofw4r Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used the app first and then finally decided to log on the website and see what else it had to offer. To be honest, even though we're on here dealing with complete strangers, when I first started my network it was kind of difficult to have my junk thrown out there for everyone to see. I know that you can change your privacy settings and what not but eventually it really gave me an edge to know that I have people who will hold me accountable and support me through both my ups and downs. Good luck mate!
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    I have found that having a supportive group of friends makes all the differencein the world. Some people find that here on MFP and some have supporting friends and family.

Either way, anyone desiring a positive minded friend here for moral support, feel free to add me!!

Be well,
    Charlotte
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    To me, that's like asking if having friends in real life helps. I love my friends here. They keep me coming back every single day.

So, yes..... it absolutely does help.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I decided recently to start participating in the boards and can honestly say that I love having friends now. Seeing them log workouts gives me the motivation to get out there and log mine when I really just want to stay in bed.

Plus, when someone tells me "good job," I feel that my hard work is being recognized.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    To me, that's like asking if having friends in real life helps. I love my friends here. They keep me coming back every single day.

So, yes..... it absolutely does help.

^^ this exactly. I have the greatest group of friends. They tell me like it is and kick my *kitten* when I'm slacking. I'm even more motivated to work hard when I see their progress.

edited to add: my friends are all amazingly entertaining and smok'n hot.
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Add me, if you need any extra encouragement. Anyone can, please feel free!

I find myself moving more, because I'm encouraged by my MFP friends actions. It's wonderful to connect with others having the same struggles. Good luck.
  • candaceenglefnp
    Options
    yes, it helps! it is constand motivation to see other people losing weight and working out
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    I think having friends on here keeps me accountable. I can easily hide what I am doing (not doing) if it was just me.