Does having MFP friends really help?

Options

Replies

• _MissTerious_
    Options
    To me, that's like asking if having friends in real life helps. I love my friends here. They keep me coming back every single day.

So, yes..... it absolutely does help.

^^ this exactly. I have the greatest group of friends. They tell me like it is and kick my *kitten* when I'm slacking. I'm even more motivated to work hard when I see their progress.

Motivation fo sho. Oh, and they make me laugh :happy:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    also, the eye candy.
  • _MissTerious_
    Options
    To me, that's like asking if having friends in real life helps. I love my friends here. They keep me coming back every single day.

^^ this exactly. I have the greatest group of friends. They tell me like it is and kick my *kitten* when I'm slacking. I'm even more motivated to work hard when I see their progress.

Motivation fo sho. Oh, and they make me laugh :happy:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Knowing people are watching my progress with a supportive eye, does motivate me. I have said good bye to some that seem to sap my energy with too much drama. I also can't stay friends with those that refuse to eat. I find that their lack of balance discourages me, and as much as I want to help, I am not strong enough yet to take that on.

But having someone say something positive about my diet and exercise, or drop me a word of advice, I appreciate that.
  • DangerSass
    DangerSass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    also, the eye candy.

So that's why we're friends...I thought it was my awesomeness?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It helps some people. Some people don't need the help of a online group of friends so much, either because they've got supportive friends, or because they don't have much problems sticking to the program. If you've been going for years, without much problems, I'm guessing you're not the type of person that needs MFP friends. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have any, just that they might not help you that much.

Yep. This ^^ is pretty much what I was going to say.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

edited to add: my friends are all amazingly entertaining and smok'n hot.

Like me :wink:

And I would like to add the same about my friends.
  • meli_loses_it
    meli_loses_it Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Having friends on here really helps me. I like to see what people are eating and it motivates me to try new things. Also, any time I see that someone has just completed a workout, I want to complete a workout! It's like a healthy competition and a way too keep myself accountable. If I know that my diary is being viewed by others than I feel pressure to make sure I'm not going over.

I enjoy it, but I also try not to get too caught up on. If I do the pressure might get to me and I wouldn't want to do something to sabotage myself, like embellish my log for the day, because I'm worried about what people are thinking.

Also, I love when I've lost weight or had a really good calorie day and someone says, "Good job!" It's silly, but it motivates me to keep going.

-Melissa:heart:
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It certainly helps me. My MFP friends will comment on my food diary and give me tips and suggestions. I love the poisitive feedback when I do something great and I find the tips to be very helpful. They hold me accountable for my habits and keep me in check.
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think they really do!! I have some really good friends here and they keep me going. They are soooo supportive and very motivating!! I love them all!!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    For myself i think they make a huge difference! logging in everyday, seeing how great people are doing, complimenting them and getting support back from them feels amazing. I get frustrated real fast if i feel alone. And with my awesome supportive friends i don't feel like that anymore :-)
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i think so. i don't get into really deep conversations or friendships here, but its really nice to have friends on here when you don't have someone else telling you 'great job' every morning when you wake up super early to work out. not that most people don't have real friends/family supporting them, but most people don't tell them every single time they work out or have a great day of eating healthy
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    one word= yes
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be as motivated as I am if it weren't for my MFP friends :smile:
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have my MFP friends I wouldn't have lasted more than a week. I thrive on encouraging other people and I feel that having friends watching my statuses keeps me accountable. I love my pals!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    For me it helps yes, but I also make sure I have supportive ones. Without them, I wouldn't have pushed myself to start using the C25K app. I see what they're doing for working out or eating and it makes me kick my butt into gear if I'm having an off day
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Absolutely!!! 100% yes! Ive been at this for 2 weeks now and, sadly, this is the longest I've stuck to anything and it's all thanks to the accountability and encouragement I'm getting on a daily basis from my new, AWESOME MFP friends. I would have definitely given up now if it wasn't for that, and I have NO intention on ever going back.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, this site is just right for me since I like being on the computer. It provides, support, motivation, and accountability that I need.
  • KimmiK86
    KimmiK86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering if creating a network would help me, too! It's not that I have a lot of weight to lose, but I just feel unhealthy and want to take more responsibility for what I'm putting into my body.

The timing with me feeling unhealthy couldn't be more perfect. The vet recently told me that my Basset Hound needs to lose about 13 pounds in order to be healthy, which includes taking him for a walk every day. I currently work in an office setting, so I'm not very active. My exercise schedule is sporatic at best. But now that I have to take responsibility for my little guy, it's really put a fire under my butt to get up and get out there!

How do I go about creating those friendships with other MFPers? Is randomly adding people creepy or weird? :tongue:
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

edited to add: my friends are all amazingly entertaining and smok'n hot.

I agree! 100 % I LOVE all my MFP friends. Though I do not raid their diary or judge them on their exercise, or lack of, I give them that little umph they need. If someone is having a bad day, I cheer them up. I love making people smile and laugh. Even if it's something I have said, written, a picture, or just letting them know I'm here. :smile: All my friends are exactly like me. We cause trouble, and bash the haters. I love them oh so very much and wish some of them were a little closer.