Does having MFP friends really help?

Options
13»

Replies

• sweetteacher123
    Options
    I have my diary public and this helps me be accountable knowing people see what I eat and exercise. So I do think friends help some people.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Just depends on you. I know it helps me. It makes me feel like if I fail, or don't log on one day, or don't exercise and don't hit my goal, I just let down 60+ people. So to me it's motivating. That and I love cheering other people on, makes me feel good.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    also, the eye candy.

You crack me up!!!

Yes, it helps!
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think that I would be on here if i didn't have the whole "friend" aspect of it! Yes it's great to watch calories, and burn calories and use everything that this site has to offer... but i love checking in with my friends on here...and i like when they check back with me!

We're all on here for the same reason...and that means that we all have something in common...why not take that and build off of it!
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It certainly helps me. I've been trying to lose weight on and off for years and this time it's coming off in a slow and sustainable way.

The friends and the community help to motivate me and it is great to share with like minded people who have similar goals when you have done something amazing.

Also, if you have a question, it is good to be able to ask the community. I'm trying to change eating habits of a lifetime so it is great to seek advice from people who have a lot more experience at this than I do.
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I used to use MFP for just weight loss and didn't get social at all. Once I found some really awesome people, I felt so much better! I started going on a lot more!!! You just have to find a group of people that share your goals and it can be incredible!
  • omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes, yes, yes.

I don't have a support system outside of this website, other than my husband. Having friends on here, utilizing the message boards, groups, and blogging have all been extremely helpful for me. It's that extra push I need when I feel like crap, or am feeling unmotivated. The people I have met on here so far have been so inspiring. Though, from time to time I do find myself going through my friends list and deleting inactive people, or people who keep their diaries private, or people who aren't very good with logging in every day.

I don't know what I would do without these people. I love them to death.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I started using MFP as an app on my phone so I didn't know about the boards or members either. Since I've joined the online community, I am MUCH more accountable for what I eat, logging, exercise, etc. It has helped me A LOT. Best of luck to you!!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    No doubt! Try to find friends with the same goals in your age group. Similar life situations help too! Then throw in a couple friends completely different from you to add some spice!( like marathon runners or vegetarians)They can give a different perspective to what they consider "healthy". Good luck!
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    For me... I find it nice to have a group of people to talk to that know what I'm going through. You can't really talk about macronutrients, DOMS, how running makes you feel like you are about to die... or any of that stuff with real life friends .... because unless they are actively trying to better themselves the same way you are... .they simply won't get it. I can talk about my calorie intake and cravings with my husband until my face turns purple... but he can't relate... and so he can't really help. Don't get me wrong... he's very supportive and I love him to death.... he just doesn't share the same struggles... My friends on here get it.... and they are here for me through the awesome times and the bad times
  • omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering if creating a network would help me, too! It's not that I have a lot of weight to lose, but I just feel unhealthy and want to take more responsibility for what I'm putting into my body.

The timing with me feeling unhealthy couldn't be more perfect. The vet recently told me that my Basset Hound needs to lose about 13 pounds in order to be healthy, which includes taking him for a walk every day. I currently work in an office setting, so I'm not very active. My exercise schedule is sporatic at best. But now that I have to take responsibility for my little guy, it's really put a fire under my butt to get up and get out there!

How do I go about creating those friendships with other MFPers? Is randomly adding people creepy or weird? :tongue:

Post a new thread saying exactly what you've just said here. Also state what your goals are and what you're looking for in said friendships. You'll get tons of adds, I promise.

Here, I'll make the first one easy for you.
    Hi, I'm Kristina. I have a lot of weight to lose, but I log in every day, and I will always be there if you need me.
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes! Love all my MFP friends. The support is wonderful ! Feel free to add me
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    A support network definitely helps, whether its on here or somewhere else.
  • Ozzyzmommy
    Ozzyzmommy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    OMG!!
    Yes they help... all my friends on here, are here for the same reason ... To lose weight so I'm not alone like I am in my day to day life...
    I live in the mountains so theres not alot of choices for support here...
    I get on everyday because I cant wait to let my friends know when I have had an outstanding day... But also to get support when I'm down and maybe just to help me get through the "Turn to food" times...
    I'm always looking for friends to join my journey.. Serious friends who want to lose weight...
    I love to help my MFP buddy's when they need an ear... or even a good laugh :0)
    Just like your post here... has put a smile on my face today, because it reminded me just how special my friends are :0)
    And for that THANK YOU.. You made my day :)

Ozzyzmommy