Question about when to log exercise

Options
I'm new to the site, but have been lurking for a while. :wink:

If MFP factors in exercise when they give you your calorie goal, how do you know when to start logging exercise? My calorie goal is 1460. If I log exercise, would it be like double logging, since MFP already accounted for the amount of exercise I entered when I registered?

Thanks for any insight, I hope that made sense...

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    That's the frustrating part about MFP... Yes, if you factored in your workout routine into your activity level, it is double-logging. That's why I set my activity level to "sedentary". Or, you could choose a lighter activity level that doesn't reflect your workouts.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Joke response: It doesn't matter when you log your calories, your metabolism doesn't turn off when you sleep.

Actual response: It has to do with what you consider normal everyday activity and what goes beyond that everyday activity.

I work a desk job. My activity level is set to sedentary. For most of my day, in fact, I'm on my *kitten*. I do take walks during my lunch, though. If I logged my calories and exercises, I would log that time because that 30-45 minutes of walking, while I try to do it everyday, is outside of what's required to get me through the day. If I worked 8 hours on a sales floor or something, I wouldn't count that 30-45 min of walking; it would just be a smaller drop in the well.

So, log the activity that goes above and beyond your routine that determines how you set your activity.
  • JoannaAndBlue
    JoannaAndBlue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I believe the calorie goal MFP gives you is based on what type of normal activities you choose (basically, what type of work you do.) Example, I chose sedentary because I have a desk job, so I have a low goal, but I log all my exercise. If you chose "lightly active" such as a teacher who stands all day, your goal would be adjusted accordingly. This is different than your exercise goals. If you set a goal of working out 3 times a week for 30 minutes each or 7 days a week for 2 hours each, that should make no difference to your caloric goal. Your calorie goal and your exercise goals are different. The exercise goals are just there to have you think about what exercise schedule you want and then to compare your actual results with your goal.

My suggestion is play around with the settings to see what happens. Adjust your settings from sedentary, lightly active, active, and very active and see the difference in your calorie goal. Then do the same with exercise goals. There shouldn't be any change to your calorie goal.

If you chose "lightly active" to continue with that example, then don't log anything associated with your work, but anything in addition, I would log. Again, if you were a teacher and chose "lightly active," but went on a 30 minute walk during your lunch break, I would log that, but not standing all day. If a teacher takes the kids out for recess and actually runs and plays with them, I would log that. If a teacher stands and monitors or just walks around to check on the kids, I would not log that.

I could be wrong about all of the above, but that is how I understand it.

I hope that helps!
  • TheCrimsonCountess
    Options
    I believe the calorie goal MFP gives you is based on what type of normal activities you choose (basically, what type of work you do.) Example, I chose sedentary because I have a desk job, so I have a low goal, but I log all my exercise. If you chose "lightly active" such as a teacher who stands all day, your goal would be adjusted accordingly. This is different than your exercise goals. If you set a goal of working out 3 times a week for 30 minutes each or 7 days a week for 2 hours each, that should make no difference to your caloric goal. Your calorie goal and your exercise goals are different. The exercise goals are just there to have you think about what exercise schedule you want and then to compare your actual results with your goal.

Thank you! I did mean the exercise goals. I didnt know they were different than the activity level. Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:
  • JoannaAndBlue
    JoannaAndBlue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. That was the first time I've ever posted, so I'm really glad that I got to help someone!