Okay, how many calories are REALLY in grilled chicken

Options
I love MFP but often there are conflicting numbers for the calorie count. Anyone have a true figure for the amount of calories in a grilled chicken breast? I eat a lot of chicken and would like to be accurate! :)

Replies

• skinnyone2012
    skinnyone2012 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would say that depends on how many oz it weighs.
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    110 calories for 3 oz
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It'll vary based on who logged it and how they cooked it. For example, if someone grills it dry, someone else uses nonstick spray, and someone else brushes it with oil, you'll see three different calorie counts (and that doesn't take into account people's imperfect attempts to estimate or fudge the numbers).

Your best bet is to log what you know you're putting in. Weigh the breast yourself before you cook it and log the nutrition for that. If you use a tablespoon of oil or some seasoning, log that. Then you know it'll be accurate for what you are actually eating.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    And it depends how you cook it - olive oil, pam butter I usually log raw and then add what ever I cook it with
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The chicken breast I buy have the cals on the package so that's what I use.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    an oz of chicken breast grilled no skin is 47 calories.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You can't accurately get a caloric count for already cooked chicken unless it's a mass produced product being cooked under the exact same conditions every single time and has had professional nutrition analysis.

This is because meat loses moisture when you cook it, how long your cook it and how you cook it is part of what determines how much moisture is loses.

So if you start with 4oz of boneless, skinless, chicken breast (120 calories) and cook it, with no other ingredients, just to the point of no longer being pink inside, you will have about 3.2-3.4oz of cooked chicken (120 calories).

If you start with 4oz of boneless, skinless, chicken breast (120 calories) and cook it, with no other ingredients, to the point that it's overcooked and dry inside, you will have about 2.6-2.8oz of cooked chicken (120 calories).

So always weigh your meat prior to cooking and use that to enter your nutrition data into your diary.
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The most accurate count is gotten by sending your chicken to a lab for testing. Of course that I'll destroy the chicken and you won't be able to eat it, but at least you'll know exactly how many calories you saved by not eating the chicken at all!
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree on the log each thing idea (the chicken, then the oil or butter, etc), but what is the base, breast only? Already in this thread there are 2 different answers. 110 and 120. i know in the grand scheme of things 10 calories is nothing, but I am curious, can can people figure it out for ourselves, what the base chicken is?
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    The replies here have already hammered home the point about the database. Three people have stated with confidence two different values for raw chicken.

If three people just on this thread have differed there must be dozens (at least) of varying records on the database for raw chicken.
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What color were its feathers? Without that info there is really no way of knowing.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Go to the USDA database, and find boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Granted it's only an estimate at best. From there you can reduce the amount of calories in a chicken breast by removing any white (fat / tendon) material with a pair of scissors. Most of the fat from chicken is not intramuscular. Then go into the food database, and create yourself a custom food entry, accounting for the fat you've just removed (all an estimation). Finally, like others have said, weigh your food before you cook it.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    The most accurate count is gotten by sending your chicken to a lab for testing. Of course that I'll destroy the chicken and you won't be able to eat it, but at least you'll know exactly how many calories you saved by not eating the chicken at all!

^^^This

Chickens every where are thanking you for sticking up for them!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The chicken breast I buy have the cals on the package so that's what I use.

Same here!
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would say that depends on how many oz it weighs.

about 45-50cals per oz (ingredient dependant)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If I find conflicting calorie amounts on something, I just take the higher one.
    But generally I will calculate the calories myself based on raw ingredients!
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    raw chicken is approx 40 cal per ounce.
  • nejibhoy
    nejibhoy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I Generally look at at least 2 or 3 values for an item the first time check that the macro's are added and then use the highest one the same as with the exercise I check MFP my HRM and sometimes my Nike+ app or my pedometer and use the lowest calories burned for the exercise period
    so highest calories - lowest exercise calories burned = a safe bet on my diarie entries
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What color were its feathers? Without that info there is really no way of knowing.

HA!!