Heard Yoga Helps With Weight Loss

Options
I recently read an article on RealAge.com that said studies show yoga helps with weight loss. Since then I've ruin across more articles pointing out that yoga practicers are thinner and healthier.

I always felt great when I did yoga on a regular basis in the past. So, I'm going to start again in the mornings. It will be interesting to bserve the difference in how I feel + whether I have as many cravings + tendency to eat emotionally....

Anyone who wants to join me is welcome

Replies

• amathus
    amathus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a yoga class at my college two days a week, plus a pilates class another two days a week. I'm also curious to see how it all turns out.
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I hope that is true. I plan to start a pi-yo class today at my gym. It is pilates and yoga combined. It would definitely be nice if it would help me lose some pounds and inches.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I used to take a yoga class at the Y twice a week. I loved it. I am starting P90X tonight, which includes an hour and a half of yoga about every week. I am really looking forward to getting back into it. I'll keep ya posted and enjoy reading about your yoga experiences!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I do yoga twice a week on my rest days :smile: It really stretches me out and helps with my back and muscle soreness! I just do it at home and follow "The Firm" yoga DVD.

Kookla, is this going to be a yoga group thingy where we check in? That would be cool. I'm always trying to find new videos to do at home as well!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I do yoga 6x a week (I'm a teacher as well). There are some good (and free) podcasts. Also, check out your library - they usually have quite a few videos. You can also search for donation based or free yoga in your area. Keep in mind that the teachers doing free yoga are usually new to teaching. But, hey, free is good.:tongue:

I think the main weight loss benefit from yoga is awareness of both our bodies (when we are full) and what we eat - how the food we eat makes us feel. While you may increase muscle tone and carry yourself more erectly, I don't think any yoga burns that many calories.
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    Ang8178- Yes. I would love to make this a regular yoga group where we check in daily or a few times a week and talk about our progress. This will help me be accountable too-because I can sometimes be gung-ho at first and then lose focus.

marywilldiet-I agree that yoga doesn't burn too many calories (my fitness tracker says I burn about 72 in 25 minutes). The mindfullness seems to be what it's all about. So much of overeating is due to not paying attention, or trying to fill an emotional void. As we do yoga, we become more aware and gentle with our bodies. Pretty cool, isn't it?

oh- I also want to mention, I love Gaiam's AM/PM yoga. It's only 20 minutes in the morning, and twenty at night, and the poses are easy to do.

Hope to hear from you!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it will make you lose weight by the exercises alone, unless it can increase your heart rate. I was taking Bikram over the summer and the heat along with holding some of the asana's could really get your HR up there. I can't say I lost any weight doing it, but I think it's as someone mentioned, it's the psychology of de-stressing the body, but as I understand it, most yogi's are slim because they eat cleanly. Most are Vegan, although I'm not saying being vegan will lead you to being slim either!

I also have the BL weight loss yoga with Bob Harper, it gets me sweating because of the length of time you hold these asanas. I like it because I can unwind after a long day to it. I'm looking forward to starting my day to some yoga one day when I can start my day quietly instead of running after monsters - I mean, my daughters.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I yoga and standing pilates which incorporates cardio. I love them both. Its been really good for my stress level.
  • cannon15
    cannon15 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a yoga class once a week for about 10 months. While I haven't lost weight, it's been tremendously beneficial for me. It's helped my major back problems, increased my flexibility, and definitely helped me build muscles/get toned.
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have taken some yoga, but it seems too slow for me. The poses definately do work me, I'm just used to moving about faster. I also do yoga on Wii Fit which works me. It seems to be a help either way!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've done a little yoga here and there, but just bought the wii biggest loser and there's yoga and there so I'm really getting into it again. I've been interested in purchasing a yoga video I can do at home, so thanks to those who tossed out some ideas for me!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    Well, I did my yoga today like I normally do on rest days. OMG I had to modify the pose from downward dog to cobra, and just stay at downward dog. So I don't really feel like I got a great workout today :frown: My arms are KILLING me from the gym and I just couldn't hack it today! I do have a video that is just 20 mins of stretching on the floor. I may do this tonight. My arms are dead!!! So for the next 2 weeks I'm going to be doing very very light yoga because I am increasing weights at the gym.
  • kookla33
    Options
    I promise to do Yoga today and I will report back when I do.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Yoga quote of the day: "Muscular action is the most direct expression of willpower in our body. These poses engage muscular action and strength. From that you develop confidence" - Patricia Walden - talking about the Warrior poses.
  • kookla33
    Options
    I did my yoga and it was a little challenging with my broken hand. I will have to experiment a little more. Can't exactly do the downward dog or cobra in the shape I'm in now. I'm proud of myself for giving it my best shot though! It's a huge boost to know I accomplished something...even with this injury and feeling like I didn't want to do it .:smile: