Resistance or Cardio?

Options
I've still got 100lbs to lose and I began strength training doing Chalean Extreme Monday.

Baring in mind on rest & circuit days I also do a 20-30 min session of either Turbo Jam or Fire is it worth completing the full 12 week program with so much fat still to lose?

Will I see any results/difference in my size or should I do cardio until I lose more weight then tone?

Thanks all. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Do what doesn't hurt you. Meaning, exercise hard but don't walk around with hips that hurt, etc.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    both
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I just wanted to make sure I would see some results in the long run.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Start NOW. Don't put off strength training. Do some of both, but - and this is my opinion - give strength training your priority.

I've been doing three hours a week of resistance training since day 1. 130 pounds later, I am loving the body I have. I'm also loving the metabolism I've earned.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Both, strength and cardio compliment each other.
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Great! Thats what I wanted to hear.
    I'm really enjoying Chalean Extreme and want to continue with the schedule so glad it will benefit me in the long run, now to get dumbbells heavier than 5kg.

Shannon, congrats on your loss, very inspiring.
  • Sheri3851
    Sheri3851 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Do you have suggestions of what to do for a beginner? I belong to a gym and go to the weight machines and really have no idea what to do. Any suggestions would be helpful such as if there are certain rountines that work better or weights that are better, etc.
    Thanks and congratuations on all your hard work!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Definitely both! YOU GO!!!!
  • cricket754
    cricket754 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try the Body-4-Life method with alternating days of cardio and strength training. The website has a table with the various exercises to get in during each workout.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How come it's always presented as an either/or? Do both. The combo will aid you 3x more than doing one or the other.

Other people can answer this better than me. Does Chalean Extreme count as strength training? I'm not sure about that one.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    do both!!!

you should never wait to do strength until you are x amount of weight!

muscle burns fat baby!!!!

check out my results from doing BOTH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp8kiKEZGA
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    How come it's always presented as an either/or? Do both. The combo will aid you 3x more than doing one or the other.

Other people can answer this better than me. Does Chalean Extreme count as strength training? I'm not sure about that one.

o yes it does. it's a heavy lifting program
  • b1gl0ser
    b1gl0ser Posts: 10
    Options
    Do you have suggestions of what to do for a beginner? I belong to a gym and go to the weight machines and really have no idea what to do. Any suggestions would be helpful such as if there are certain rountines that work better or weights that are better, etc.
    Thanks and congratuations on all your hard work!

I like to do classes, the instructors are usually great, if you have Bodypump classes near you they combine resistance and cardio.
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Growtinymusclesgrow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've still got 100lbs to lose and I began strength training doing Chalean Extreme Monday.

Baring in mind on rest & circuit days I also do a 20-30 min session of either Turbo Jam or Fire is it worth completing the full 12 week program with so much fat still to lose?

Will I see any results/difference in my size or should I do cardio until I lose more weight then tone?

Thanks all. :flowerforyou:

You need to do both. Here is what I suggest, do a split training 4 days per week. Always follow your workouts with a 20-30 minute HIIT session. That is a fairly generic statement, but what I am highlighting here is that there is tons of research that you will lose more fat if you follow your resistance training with HIIT cardio.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For best fat burning, do both.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    im doing c25k for cardio and find im actually enjoying the running but i also found i liked the nerd fitness beginner body weight strength training since as i discovered i apparently was not doing sit ups properly in high school