Wisdom Teeth Out on 8/17/12

Options
2»

Replies

• TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't really remember. I had all 4 taken out (they put me under for it because they were embedded sideways under my other teeth) and then they doped me up on really powerful painkillers. I slept 22 hours a day for about a week while on that stuff. I vaguely remember my parents trying to get me to eat a strawberry milkshake and me trying to convince them to let me sleep instead. At least once I slept through my next round of painkillers, woke up in the most miserable pain of my life as it someone had tried to unhinge my jaw by force. I "snapped" and said some pretty mean things in my pain-fogged brain and felt bad about it once the pain and meds were tapered off. My folks, both in the medical field, even went so far as to wake me up periodically to make sure I was still breathing properly because I was "out" so hard for so long each day. Looking back afterwards, I don't blame them, but at the time I was really miserable when they'd drag me out of my "coma." It wasn't restful sleep either--strange dreams. Not a fun way to spend a college spring break--either in agony or dead to the world.

I'm told that the drug they used for my painkiller then is one that's very commonly abused (oxycodene, I think) , but I don't understand why. As far as I could tell that stuff just makes you miserable and knocked me nearly comatose. I never want to be put on it again. You'd have to be complete off your rocker to take that stuff for fun.
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Do not use a straw! You can get dry socket which HURTS!
  • MissShancey
    Options
    the day i got mine out i ate chinese food .. broccoli .. lemon chicken .. noodles ... yaaaaaaaaaaaa .. this fat girl didnt chew lol
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    beans and rice :) filling, healthy, soft to chew. or you could do refried beans, which require little chewing. :)

also smoothie/milkshakes. Smoothies can be made to be incredibly filling. and while i dont recommend using a straw (not only cause of dry sockets, but because it feels really weird), you can sip on it with a spoon :)
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I got all 4 out at the same time! :/ July 3rd so I got to smell the yummy ribs, corn, and other stuff for the annual family cookout! I lived on vanilla pudding, mashed potatoes, and chicken broth.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I just had mine out last month. Here's my suggest list to get started.

Ice cream (bough individual 100 calorie cups at Save-A-Lot)
    Cheese sticks (like string cheese or colby jack in reduced fat)
    Sugar free pudding
    Pasta (I over cooked mine so it was super soft)
    Apple sauce
    Yogurt
    Soup
    Mashed veggie (potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, etc. mash them all)
    Smoothies or Milk Shakes (made thick for a spoon as no straws the first week)

Hopefully this will help you get started.
    I would skip rice, oatmeal, etc. Anything grainy can get in the hole and then you need to rinse really well to get it out. Been there, done that. Not fun.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I seriously question the conventional wisdom (no pun intended) of removing perfectly healthy teeth, routinely.
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    To add to other people's suggestions, you can have baked apple slices. Just make sure they are baked long enough with enough moisture that they fall apart easily. Slicing avocado and sprinkling a little salt on them is tasty too if you like avocado.
  • Ash_ah_lee
    Ash_ah_lee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i had an appointment today......but i got scared and didnt go...
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i had an appointment today......but i got scared and didnt go...

Don't be scared it is not that bad! I mostly slept for two days straight!
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm about to leave in 5 minutes to take my 17 year old son to get all four of his out. :( I'm going to buy bags of peas (as ice packs) and some sorbets. I am also going to get him Rita's italian ice today if he feels like it. I'll post later if I have any good hints.
    Good luck!

Update - he did so great! He slept most of the afternoon, then wanted to go to the pool to sit and watch. Had Rita's italian ice twice that day (250 calories for a regular - less for sugar free, though). He woke up yesterday morning and was fine. No pain medication after that. Now he is eating regular things.

I wish you a recovery like his!
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt!!
  • ridergirl72
    Options
    I ate/drank a lot of Carnation Instant Breakfasts and Meal replacement drinks. I would recommend getting different flavors as you can get tired of the chocolate ones.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I want to get mine out because they cause me so much painnn!

I had 2 throat operations in 2 years, and just ate ice cream, and then the first time I couldn't eat nearly at all for a week. Second time I was fine after a couple of days.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on soft and HEALTHY foods I can eat over the weekend? I'm going to stock up on some Yoplait, but I'm not sure what else I should get. Not a huge soup fan, but I'll probably get a few cans for dinner or something. Any suggestions would be much appreciated :-)

Good luck today! I hope it went well. I had mine taken out in 2005 so I can't remember what I had but I'm pretty sure I would have lived on mashed potatoes
  • aylawill
    aylawill Posts: 65
    Options
    Hope everything went well for you! I used to be a dental assistant, so we extracted lots of wisdom teeth! Just remember, no drinking through straws, no smoking, and no swishing-and-spitting, since you want the blood clot to stay there. Trust me, dry-socket is painful! Brushing your teeth will probably hurt for the first few days, but try to do it anyways...just be careful if you have stitches. Applesauce, jello, ice cream, frozen yogurt, that kind of stuff is all good for the first few days. Try not to eat/drink anything too hot for the first few days.
    I got my lowers out about a year ago, and my uppers out earlier this year. I didn't want general anesthetic, so just got local. I was pretty swollen and sore for a few days, but it wasn't too bad.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Wow, I totally forgot I even posted this, but I totally appreciate all your suggestions and friendly advice! The procedure went well. They put me to sleep as all 4 were impacted and had to be cut out. They had to go up into my sinuses under my cheek as my top 2 were so far up. I was most nervous about the IV (which the nurses were laughing because my heart beat went from normal to 5 billion beats a second because I was nervous!) and the pain afterwards. I woke up and don't really remember going into the recovery room, but cried a bit as the ice pack they gave me was sooo cold, but then my mom came in and it was better.

I slept on and off most of the afternoon, am feeling pretty awake right now, but have to take more pain meds at 9 so that will probably knock me out and hopefully I'll be able to get a good nights rest. The pain is pretty dull right now, but I can definitely feel it. I'm still bleeding, it stopped for a little while earlier but I got curious in the bathroom and opened my mouth a little too wide and it started up again, not bad though. I was able to eat about a cup of a vanilla milkshake, half a container of the Knudsens Cottage Doubles w/ pineapple and a small bowl of mashed potatoes w/ gravy. I'm starting to get a little hungry now though, so I'm thinking either more mashed potatoes or some yogurt. They didn't say anything to me about dairy products, yogurt was actually on the list of things they told me I should eat. I won't go overboard though as some of you suggested against it. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Thanks again lovelies!! :-)