Retail work and weight loss?

Options
Hi guys! I'm currently working in retail where I do 9hrs of standing, unpacking boxes, lifting, walking around the store, cleaning etc and was just wondering what exercise you would class this as? I've been tracking as light cleaning on the exercise part, is this accurate?

Do any of you work in retail and have lost weight etc? I've got my calories down to around 1400 a day right now.

Thank you!

Replies

• heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I work in food service, at a sandwich shop, same thing. 9 hour shifts, probably not as much walking about. I don't track my shifts as exercise.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    yeah i wouldn't track your shifts as exercise... you just set your activity level higher than sedentary which is what you would selec if you had an office job.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt count that really as exercise since that is part of your everyday life. That is where your settings come in - from sedentary to active. There is one where you are on your feet like a mail carrier etc.

But that is just me. See most of my day is sitting (sedentary) so that is how my settings are set.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    That would go under your activity level, not exercise. I don't count anything as exercise unless it truly was.
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    Ohhh I used to work in retail and I used to be sooo skinny... Then couple years later of an office job I have gained over 50+ pounds..

I am not sure what you would classify it under.. Maybe get a pedometer, and that will track your calories and how many miles/steps you have taken. I used to do that, and man I couldn't believe how much I walked...

Hope that helps!!!
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You should have your settings set to Lightly Active or Active. That should compensate for the time you are standing at work. I wouldn't track it as activity, especially if it's something you've done in the past.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'd just set your activity level as 'lightly active' and only track any extra exercise you do.

Good luck!
  • MerBear1FL
    Options
    I would change update your "Diet Profile" listed under "Settings" then "Update diet/fitness profile" to "Light Active" or "Active" based upon your job.
  • 4manda76
    4manda76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I work in a supermarket and like you are on my feet all day pulling pallets and various other things, but never logged it as exercise I was on 1500 cals last week and lost 2lbs but this week lowered it to 1200 :) so far I've lost 23lbs in total.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't track it. At my day job I do 8hrs of standing.. and my evening job, I'm sweating my *kitten* off at UPS, lifting boxes for 5 hours a night. I don't track either. I put my daily activity as "active". I don't want to cut out too many cals or I won't have the energy to do my jobs! I only track the actual "exercise" I do, such as going for a run, or when I lift weights :)

"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!" =D
    www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
  • Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I worked in retail for almost 2 years. And when I first started MFP I set my activity level as I think lightly active. On days I would pull a double, or some days a 15 hour shift, I'd wear a HRM on any days I was working out of my "normal" shift. I also had a big problem with snackif at work. There was candy everywhere! I wasn't really serious about my diet or exercise at the time, so I didn't lose any drastic amount of weight.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You should have your settings set to Lightly Active or Active. That should compensate for the time you are standing at work. I wouldn't track it as activity, especially if it's something you've done in the past.
  • 911Megz
    911Megz Posts: 42
    Options
    I wouldn't track it. At my day job I do 8hrs of standing.. and my evening job, I'm sweating my *kitten* off at UPS, lifting boxes for 5 hours a night. I don't track either. I put my daily activity as "active". I don't want to cut out too many cals or I won't have the energy to do my jobs! I only track the actual "exercise" I do, such as going for a run, or when I lift weights :)

"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!" =D
    www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness

I agree 100% with this! You shouldn't track something you do EVERY day. Your body is already used to that. Only track your additional workouts.