Attn Muscle People, I need help

Options
Ok I'm just starting out and I told myself after I didn't feel like I was going to kill over using the cardio machines at the gym I'd cut back to 30 or 40 mins of cardio and add 30 or 40 mins of weights when I go to the gym (5 days a week) Well surprisingly, 9 days of working out and I feel like I'm at that point :drinker: (yey me) I'm not worried about coming up with a routine, my husband has that covered :wink: We will be at the gym this friday putting it together!

My question is, how do I heal sore muscles faster? On sunday I had my first taste with a tricep workout and I'm still sore on wednesday (today) It's really bad, I almost couldn't lift my water bottle at the gym today! I didn't go crazy on Sunday either, we are talking 10 lbs here! I know things will progress, just like they did when I started cardio.

I'm just wondering how to heal them fast so I can work them again. I currently have icey hot on my arms :happy:

Replies

• itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy...but for me it's more exercise. If I go and work the same muscle group again it works all the stiffness and soreness out and I feel so much better.

Are you making sure your muscles are warm first and then stretching afterward? Stretching is really important.

Good Luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein intake, drink plenty of water, and stretch often. You will still be sore but the recovery should be quicker and after a few weeks the soreness will only be slight and shouldn't last very long. Good luck.
  • tbear358
    tbear358 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Look for a protein shake, workout drink, or supplement in pill form that contains glutamine and creatine. These will help soothe sore muscles faster.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    nope, none of the above. You DON'T heal muscles faster. Muscle soreness is a consequence after a good workout is natural. While yes, protein, water, complex carbs...etc. are all important to help build muscles, soreness is your body saying, I'm not done repairing yet. Give yourself time. Now there's a difference between stiffness and soreness. Being stiff is just a factor of muscles being used that weren't used, muscles being sore actually need to recover. If you start a workout and quickly find out that you can't perform at the same rate you normally can, then you're sore, and you need to give yourself more time. If you're just stiff from the last time and you CAN work at the same level, then proceed.

Oh, wait, I lied, you CAN heal muscles faster, HGH and steroids will do this, other than that, you need to let nature do it's thing.

http://www.criticalbench.com/strength_training_muscle_recovery.htm
  • hagan8123
    Options
    Make sure to have a post workout protein shake and eat a banana, the potassium, for some reason helps with the lactic acid, which helps with the soreness. Don't eat to many of them...they are high in sugar. This will not take it away, but may help. Make sure that you are getting recovery time. Are you doing circuit training. If so, don't lift every day. If you do want to lift everyday, then focus on groups. Ie: Monday is bi's and tri's, Tuesday is chest and back, Wednesday is shoulders and abs, and Thursday is legs...etc. This way you can continue lifting while allowing your muscles enough recovery time.
  • missykaye1975
    Options
    nope, none of the above. You DON'T heal muscles faster. Muscle soreness is a consequence after a good workout is natural. While yes, protein, water, complex carbs...etc. are all important to help build muscles, soreness is your body saying, I'm not done repairing yet. Give yourself time. Now there's a difference between stiffness and soreness. Being stiff is just a factor of muscles being used that weren't used, muscles being sore actually need to recover. If you start a workout and quickly find out that you can't perform at the same rate you normally can, then you're sore, and you need to give yourself more time. If you're just stiff from the last time and you CAN work at the same level, then proceed.

Oh, wait, I lied, you CAN heal muscles faster, HGH and steroids will do this, other than that, you need to let nature do it's thing.

http://www.criticalbench.com/strength_training_muscle_recovery.htm

I agree with this...SHBoss, you and I need to be friends....we always seem to be on the same page. :smile:
    I have been lifting since July 09 and absolutely LOVE it! I was sore when I first started (I couldn't lift my arms to put them on the steering wheel to drive! :laugh: ), and yes, I STILL get sore because I train intensely--but not nearly as sore as I used to when I first began. If I'm not training intensely, then I am completely wasting the precious time that I have at the gym! I have learned to "love the burn" I get the next day because I know I'm working intensely enough if I do. During the actual workout you are creating microscopic little tears in your muscles and breaking them down in preparation to rebuild and become stronger. Your rest--RECOVERY--time is every bit as important as your time spent in the gym. If you work sore muscles, you are un-doing, or slowing down the re-building process of those muscles and not allowing them to grow and strengthen. .....just my 2 cents! Take care! :wink:
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I wasn't really going for something I put into my body to "cure" soreness. But thanks everyone for your input. ShBoss, I think you are right. As long as I CAN do it, I should. My husband says after I rest one muscle group for 1-2 days I should be good to go to push it again.

I'm not going to have a hard time with my legs, they are pretty tough. My arms though.... let me just start laughing now :laugh: I need to look up some sites on stretching my upper body! I do yoga twice a week, which really stretches me out, but I'm looking for deeper ones for my arms to loosen them up.
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's) are essential to expediting muscle recovery. Go to GNC or any other supplement store and ask them to recommend a protein shake with them in it. Alternatively, they sell an amino acid supplement that you can take, but I prefer just having it in my shake. I use GNC AMPlified Wheybolic Extreme 60 and take 1 scoop after working out instead of the recommended 3. Your body can only process 20-30 g of protein at a shot, and each scoop contains 20 g. I do consume at least two, if not three scoops through the duration of the day however. I also take Optimum Nutrition Nitrocore 24 hr protein supplement (also contains BCAA's) before bed. Nighttime, specifically sleep, is a surprisingly anabolic time for your body as it is recovering from the stresses of the day, and protein really helps. I use the 24 hr blend because it contains proteins which release slowly throughout the 24 hrs, meaning I'm getting a dose of protein slowly through the night.

Also, WATER WATER WATER! Muscle soreness means a buildup of lactic acid in the muscles produced by the breakdown of ATP/ADP in the muscle tissue. The water will help to flush this from the muscles and thus, reduce soreness.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Make sure to have a post workout protein shake and eat a banana, the potassium, for some reason helps with the lactic acid, which helps with the soreness. Don't eat to many of them...they are high in sugar. This will not take it away, but may help. Make sure that you are getting recovery time. Are you doing circuit training. If so, don't lift every day. If you do want to lift everyday, then focus on groups. Ie: Monday is bi's and tri's, Tuesday is chest and back, Wednesday is shoulders and abs, and Thursday is legs...etc. This way you can continue lifting while allowing your muscles enough recovery time.

Potassium and sodium are minerals that help with free water in the body, which helps carry the lactic acid away from the muscles and to organs where they are processed and turned back into usable chemicals in the body (and waste). Protein will help the body with the immediate need for extra protein, be careful you though, you don't need very much extra protein (especially if you are taking in 20% or more already, a couple of grams of COMPLETE proteins should be enough) I.E. don't go chowing on almonds, they aren't complete and can't be used by themself to create muscle (they are missing amino acids needed , you need to pair them with other protein sources). Also important is to have carbs right after a workout as without carbs and in the absence of sufficient energy after an anaerobic workout the body will prioritize energy over muscle repair, and as protein is a secondary energy source, will be used for energy instead of muscle repair. The current thinking is that you should intake a 3:1 carbs to protein ratio.

BUT

None of this has anything to do with long term soreness. Not really anyway, while supplying protein immediately after a workout will help a little, it's time and sufficient nutrients over the next 3 to 5 days that will make the difference.
    Remember, short term soreness is the build up of lactic acid in and around the muscle, which dissipates quickly after the workout (within an hour usually). DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is different, and can last up to 5 or 6 days depending on the workout, the level of fitness, and the muscle's physical properties (genetics).
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I wasn't really going for something I put into my body to "cure" soreness. But thanks everyone for your input. ShBoss, I think you are right. As long as I CAN do it, I should. My husband says after I rest one muscle group for 1-2 days I should be good to go to push it again.

I'm not going to have a hard time with my legs, they are pretty tough. My arms though.... let me just start laughing now :laugh: I need to look up some sites on stretching my upper body! I do yoga twice a week, which really stretches me out, but I'm looking for deeper ones for my arms to loosen them up.

While 1 to 2 days may be ok for an experiences weight trainer, I doubt that's enough time for you. When every you hit the anaerobic threshold, your body starts adaptation, in the beginning of a new program, it takes longer to adapt. I would give it 3 days minimum, myself. Also, if you note that you are able to do the same anaerobic workout after 1 day of rest, most likely you either a) aren't using enough weight or b) need to change your routine because your muscle memory is too high. thats just MHO though.
  • nolan_84
    Options
    It could be that you are using a little too much weight to start out with. The first couple workouts with weight, especially if you haven't lifted much, it's a good idea to start out a little light & toy with the weight to figure out what feels right. 3 or 4 days of severe soreness seems like a bit much. Having soreness is normal, but if it's really to the point where you can't lift a bottle 20oz bottle of water, that's not good. It should only take your muscles 48 hours to repair themselves, so if you are still very sore, a light weight, high rep (15) routine should help them out. On the second day of severe soreness is a good day to do this kind of routine. This kind of thing will help the blood flow to the muscle and bring in more nutrients that will aid in healing the muscle faster.

Severe soreness, despite what some people think, is not a good thing. It could mean that you actually did more damage than good to the muscle. You want a slight soreness lasting about a day or two. Anymore than that and you are probably over doing it. So like I said, I'd drop a little bit of weight from what you are lifting and work your way back up to it when you feel strong enough to tackle the challenge w/o getting severe soreness. You do need to push it, but also keep a good pace so that you don't burn out too soon. Hope this helps...
  • Ang8178
    Options
    So I'm not a complicated person :laugh: I don't like putting pills of any form into my body, except my multi vitamin and sometimes I'll take a headache pill, but it has to be bad! I'm not the person who is going to go to the local GNC and buy protien anything! I currently am over on protein everyday any way. Right after a work out at the moment, I drink tons of water:drinker: and I eat a fiber granola bar right after (fiber one or fiber plus) then I head straight home to eat lunch. All my eatting including lunch happens with in 45 mins to an hour after a workout.

I know I sound maybe a little dumb, but I don't get all the %'s and ratios. I enjoy my granola bar and water after a work out :heart: Will this work for me after weights are added? Keep in mind I do eat lunch right when I get to the house also.
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Recover more, have protein within an hour of your workout, and try 20 minutes of light cardio (anything) just to get your body moving. Even walking. This will help ease the lactic acid build-up which makes you sore.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    So I'm not a complicated person :laugh: I don't like putting pills of any form into my body, except my multi vitamin and sometimes I'll take a headache pill, but it has to be bad! I'm not the person who is going to go to the local GNC and buy protien anything! I currently am over on protein everyday any way. Right after a work out at the moment, I drink tons of water:drinker: and I eat a fiber granola bar right after (fiber one or fiber plus) then I head straight home to eat lunch. All my eatting including lunch happens with in 45 mins to an hour after a workout.

I know I sound maybe a little dumb, but I don't get all the %'s and ratios. I enjoy my granola bar and water after a work out :heart: Will this work for me after weights are added? Keep in mind I do eat lunch right when I get to the house also.

Probably. You aren't looking to gain lots of muscle mass right? At the beginning most of your gains will be in nervous response and muscle fiber recruitment anyway, before we see much in the way of gains in mass the muscle needs to be working at it's maximum, and if you haven't worked a muscle before, it probably is only using 60% to 70% of maximum anyway, until you get that up into the 90's you won't see much muscle mass gains anyway, weight increases are usually from glycogen storage at the beginning.
  • Ang8178
    Options
    Not looking to gain mass at all! I just want to be toned and I know working muscles will help me in the long run with weight management. Last year when I was in shape I did talk to a personal trainer for a while and he said maybe 30 mins of cardio at a gym would be good for me, but I should build my muscles also. I'm taking that advice (a little late :laugh:)

I don't want to be a body builder or anything. Just want to tone up and have a slight deffinition of muscle. I'm starting out with light weights, 10 lbs or so, 15 reps, and 3 sets for each muscle group I work. With the exception of my legs, deff more than 10 lbs, but you get the idea.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Not looking to gain mass at all! I just want to be toned and I know working muscles will help me in the long run with weight management. Last year when I was in shape I did talk to a personal trainer for a while and he said maybe 30 mins of cardio at a gym would be good for me, but I should build my muscles also. I'm taking that advice (a little late :laugh:)

I don't want to be a body builder or anything. Just want to tone up and have a slight deffinition of muscle. I'm starting out with light weights, 10 lbs or so, 15 reps, and 3 sets for each muscle group I work. With the exception of my legs, deff more than 10 lbs, but you get the idea.

I'm not really a huge fan of light weights, to me if you can't cross the anaerobic threshold, the weight training isn't doing it's job. That said, there are many different ways to cross that barrier, that will elicit different types of results, but still all of them require using at least a 60% of maximum weight. anything less and you probably will never do much strengthening of the muscle, maybe a bit at the beginning, but after that it's just like doing cardio IMHO.
  • Ang8178
    Options
    I know eventually I'll be able to lift more weight, but for now it was all I could do to just lift the 10 lbs on sunday. I did do 30 on one tricep pully thing. Yes, sunday was tricep day. :laugh: I look forward to seeing how long it will take me to adapt to lift more than 10 lbs.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that you're not supposed to train one specific muscle group more than twice a week. I usually try to set that as a guideline for myself, and expect soreness. To be honest, I LOVE the soreness. If I don't feel sore, I know I'm getting too used to my workout and need to push myself a bit more.
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    I know this is gonna sound stupid, but would any of those cremes work that are
    suppose to help relieve pain/soreness?

Don't forget your protein....OOPS :)

Doug
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I've read somewhere that you're not supposed to train one specific muscle group more than twice a week. I usually try to set that as a guideline for myself, and expect soreness. To be honest, I LOVE the soreness. If I don't feel sore, I know I'm getting too used to my workout and need to push myself a bit more.

same here with the feeling of soreness. Although twice a week is just an average, depends on the person. When that soreness becomes a mild stiffness, it's probably ok to go again, for some muscle groups it's shorter time than others. For instance, my quads need only 2 days to recover, where as my shoulders and chest need 3 minimum.