Naan breads

Options
Hi,

Does anyone know of a good / low calaorie alternative to naan bread or rice? Having curry tonight :bigsmile:

Thanks

Replies

• meghnaatluri
    meghnaatluri Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try brown rice--same calories but more fiber and Instead of a naan,you could eat phulkas---which are basically thinner bread made out of whole wheat and cooked on heat,no oil, no butter.Each phulka is 75 cals.
  • meghnaatluri
    meghnaatluri Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Or you could substitute the phulkas with corn tortillas...
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like steamed cauliflower broken into small bits.
    Good substitute for rice
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Bit late now, but chapattis are easy to make and do the same kind of thing.
    I use plain flour, water and squish it into dough. Make a ping pong ball sized piece, roll it really flat then dry fry in an ordinary frying pan.
    :wink: As I said, easy, (It would have to be for me to do it!)
  • BSummers321
    BSummers321 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Chapatis! So easy to make or you can buy them ready made from supermarkets. Good recipe here: http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10101 (you don't need ghee, oil or butter to make them, just need flour and water and dry cook them on a pan!), they're great and you can always make a large batch of them and freeze them.

A lot of supermarkets have Asian food sections and you'll find big bags of atta/chapati flour, elephant atta is a good brand or you could just use wholewheat flour if you're only making them once.

Naans have so many calories I never eat them, rather eat a piece of cake for those calories :laugh: I eat Indian food all the time usually with brown rice or chapati/rotis.
  • vkahlenberg
    vkahlenberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chapati is good. Another alternative which is good and readily available here (even at Walmart) is Joseph's pita bread. The oat bran and stone ground wheat pita are only 60 calories each and are a good size. I use them for middle-eastern food, Mediterranean/Greek food, Indian dishes, as well as cutting them in half to make sandwiches. I love 'em.