IN NEED OF BUDGET FRIENDLY MEAL IDEAS!!

Options
IN NEED OF IDEAS FOR SOME CHEAP HEALTHY MEALS FOR LUNCHES AND DINNERS, CAN'T KEEP EATING RAMEN AND SPAG. IN A CAN, IT'S SLOWLY KILLING ME :(, BUT ONLY HAVE A BUDGET OF ABOUT $30 A WEEK FOR FOOD FOR 2 PPL.

Replies

• carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, now that's a challenge. Do you live close to a market / grocery store? Either way, I'd pick up vegetables once per week. Cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, spaghetti squash, fresh tomatoes or canned (low sodium). Chicken broth (low sodium). You could steam / microwave up batches of veggies all week long and pack them for lunches. Fruit is sometimes expensive; but sometimes there are specials for buy 1 / get 1 free. You need to expand you horizons and walk thru the produce section ... instead of that processed / cheap foods section. Also, look for bulk frozen unbreaded, boneless, skinless chicken breast. It's easily thawable....and can last a while in your freezer.

Hope I've given you a couple of ideas. Best of luck~ :wink:
  • skinnybefore
    Options
    I can totally relate!

You can do price matching at Wal-Mart on pretty much anything... Save any store flyers that you get in the mail (even Menards!) and compare prices. Also use coupons whenever you can. I spent $60 today and saved about $15 in price matching. It takes time to sit down and plan your meals around the sale flyers, but it's worth the time and effort!

Stay out of the middle aisles of the store, unless you're buying rice, pasta, etc. Pre-packaged meals are very expensive, as I'm sure you are aware!

My family eats a lot of leftovers!
  • devore06
    devore06 Posts: 27
    Options
    thanks for the replies! I havnt been much of a veggie eater, mainly becuz i dont know what to even do with them cooking wise to make them good but maybe i'll have to look up some recipies. I just always fear that they will go bad before i get the chance to eat them and i hate throwing things out. and i love boneless chicken! I use to try the whole couponing thing but working 2 jobs theres not much time to sit down and do it and still get things done around the house, going to try to get a few groceries this weekend..i'll remember to stay out of the middle isles! thanks!
  • barenda_101
    Options
    For $30 a week this is what I'd buy which you can turn into healthy meals:

-oatmeal
    -eggs
    -milk
    -store brand cheese
    -frozen microwavable veggies (seriously just as healthy, don't need to worry about them going bad)
    -whatever meat is on sale (freeze what you won't use the next 2 days)
    -rice
    -chicken bullion
    -onions
    -tomatoes
    -mushrooms
    -whole wheat bread.

With those things you can make really whatever you'd like. Breakfasts of oatmeal with milk are filling, or spend more time and fry up a few eggs or make an omelet with the cheese, onion, and tomato. For lunch, cook the meat and mix it with the frozen veggies and some cooked rice for a really filling and tastey meal. For dinner, sauté the mushrooms and onions, season, mix in broken up wheat bread and some chicken stock from the bullion and hey you've got stuffing to go with your veggies and meat. Or cook the rice in stock instead of water and mix in some sautéed onions and tomatoes for a mouthgasm. The possibilities are endless if you're willing to get creative with a few simple ingredients.
  • gingerCE
    Options
    Wow--$30/week for 2 is really going to be difficult. I have survived on around $30/week on groceries for one and that is tough but doable.

My recommendations: Tofu (firm). If on sale it can be $1 a package but is usually up to 1.50/package. Eat with rice (also very cheap) and dinner for two (one package), even with some seasoning/spices from the pantry, is likely under $2. If you know how to cook tofu, it is delicious, quick and cheap, even raw, but if you don't, you may need help initially.

Also I would get a Rotisserie chicken (I like the ones from Costco but they sell them at any grocery store). Eat some of the chicken for dinner. Save some for chicken sandwiches for lunch. Keep the carcass and meat scraps attached (put in fridge for next day), put in stockpot (take out string)--add lots of water, salt and seasoning--any onions. Boil for 30 min--Add some raw rice (rinsed), and simmer together another 30 minutes-- chicken and rice soup will last two to three meals for two people.

Another thing I would do would buy raw beef ribs (like Kalbi style ribs--can also do L.A. Kalbi style too) and the meat is cheap. Cut the meat off the bone, throw meat and bones in big stock pot, add water, boil for a while, add vegetables (I would add a ton of spinach), salt, garlic powder (if there is no budget for fresh garlic) and pepper. Yummy.

I remember an L.A. Times reporter did an experiment (he was Asian as well) if he and his wife could survive for a month on food stamps for single people (which I think was about $25/week per person) for everything (no eating out unless part of the $25 that week) but he was allowed to eat out if dining at someone's house for free (they hosted a gathering at theirs as well I believe). He shopped Costco and Asian markets, cooked Asian foods and was able to do it. I remember he bought bacon cured but not sliced, so he'd cut it himself to save money etc . . . I kinda tried to do this as well and it is doable if you can and are willing to cook--especially in bulk to last several meals. I remember reading about other people trying to follow this budget and one guy only was only buying white bread and peanut butter. I know for me I ate primarily meat, rice, and vegetables--I rarely bought packaged food but bought bulk from the bins or my meat (beef/chicken drumsticks etc . . .) in bulk at Costco (when I didn't have membership I shopped with friend). I'd make meals to last several days by precooking then just reheating.
  • Kit_Kat1213
    Options
    I have about $60 a week and had come in for the same type of advice. $30? Wow, I don't think I could do that.

Keep the ideas coming... I have at least 8 weeks until that number changes to $80.

Thanks!
    :drinker:
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Costco!

We buy in bulk! Have a look at my diary if you'd like...
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    this is a great article with lots of suggestions. some of it is geared towards a paleo diet, but a lot of it is useful for anyone looking to eat healthy on a budget. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/10/11/how-to-eat-healthy-without-breaking-the-bank/
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'd buy:
    Family pack of chicken breast
    Low carb tortillas (fajita size)
    Eggs
    45 & delightful bread
    Veggies (onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro)

You can make a variety of food with these items. Also stay away from ramen! It has sooo much sodium and more calories than it's worth!
  • gregmiddag
    gregmiddag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Brown rice and black beans with salsa. one of my favorite meals
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    $30 a week for two people? That's a beans and rice budget. Buy bulk to save of course and then veggies to augment. If you have an Aldi that might be a good choice also, but if you stick with the basics, you should be OK. If you have time, back your own bread, make pancakes, etc. Eggs are pretty cheap too and give a good protein bang for the buck.

Also, I find some of the best deals are had at the Asian and Indian food markets if you have them in your area. You can save tons of money this way, especially on vegetables.
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    Check out this site: http://www.ringaroundtherosies.net/2012/02/freezer-cooking.html . She has great ideas for meals that you can buy the ingredients for, prep, and then freeze. Then you don't have to worry about the veggies going bad. Just pop them in a crock pot or I'm sure you could bake them.

Keep an eye out on the local grocery store meat sales; you could sub a lot of the meats in the recipes for whatever is on sale. You can usually get really good deals on meat that's getting close to the sell by date, and if you prep and freeze you won't have to worry about it going bad before you get a chance to use it.
  • roakes10
    roakes10 Posts: 13
    Options
    We spend right around $40.00 - $45.00 a week for my husband and I. It's doable, but definitely takes some planning. I buy rice and oatmeal in bulk, eggs, whatever veggies/fruits are in season (try hitting up your local farmers market - you can usually get great deals!), frozen veggies, beans, no soda/juice just water and/or coffee/tea, and whatever meat is on sale for the week. As far as the meat is concerned, it might help to make a couple trips to the grocery store to see if they have any "managers specials" where they mark it down because it's close to the sell by date. You can usually save a couple bucks this way. Cooking from scratch definitely helps out big time - you get so much more food for the money! Good Luck!! :o)
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Squirrel can be prepared in many ways...
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    really $30 a week for 2 people? I spend $50-80 on myself for a week. Look for deals and coupons. Check out the foods that are on sale.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If you have a Walmart close by definitely price match!
    You don't even have to bring a sales-flyer with you. I look up online the weekly ads of any grocery stores in town, then write my list what I want to get and at which store has it on sale. Today for example I got 3 red bell peppers for 1$ compared to 1.78$ for one pepper, that are big savings.

They price match everything that has a fixed price like 0.99$/lb. or 2 for 1$. They do not "buy one get one free" or "if you buy product X you get product Y for free".

I spend about 30min the night before I go grocery shopping to write my list (I compare about 4 grocery stores) and then plan my meals around what I can get on sale.

I also clip coupons on coupons.com and match those with the ads. This way I can save double on some items :)
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Cabbage and Potato Pie

> boil potatoes (for big baking ones, peel the skin off)
    > boil a shredded head of cabbage, add salt and pepper
    > sautee garlic and onions in a separate pan
    > mash the cooked potatoes with a bit of milk and salt and pepper
    > layer a pie pan with first cabbage, then onion mixture, then seal it in with the potatoes like frosting a cake
    > top with 1/4 to 1/4 cup of cheese, bake in the oven for 20-30 mins until the top is browned somewhat

Makes about six servings, costs under $1.50 for the whole pie. If you had meat you could add that or cook kielbasa/brats/sausage with it. You could also make a three bean salad (chick peas, black beans, red beans, chopped onion and cilantro, lime juice and tomatoes if you had them) to serve with it for protein.

Cheapest meats at walmart are the big packs of breasts at $1.99/lb and leg quarters for .95 a pound (Here, at least) For pure meat value and not having to mess with fat, the breasts are best.

Aldi's and farmers markets are best. Here you could get the chicken, potatoes, cabbage, onions, chickpea/black/red beans all, tomatoes, cilantro, 2lbs of apples, and a 2lb bag of carrots for under $30.
  • MamaWalkingBear
    MamaWalkingBear Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I lived on beans (cooked from dry beans) and rice for over a year and added cooked carrots. I watch the sales for fresh fruit and veggies and always bought sales. Batch cooked when I could. Used the crockpot as much as possible (I work fulltime and was a single mom at the time). There are plenty of recipies online that you can adapt.

When there was a really good sale, I would buy more than we needed in a week. I portioned it out and froze fresh veggies, and meat. Cooked or blanched veggies and froze as I could. I have a large freezer. Dated each package and would rotate and use the oldest first.

Its blackberry season, and we have a ton behind us in the field. Free is a good thing. We had blackberry cobbler for dessert the last two nights.

Good Luck!!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    1 1b hamburger-cook & drained
    2 cans green beans drained
    1 can corn drained
    2 cans cream of celery
    1 bag of tater tots

Layer in 9x13 in order listed and bake @ 375 for 45 min
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I helped a friend plan out a 5 day meal plan for a family of 4 for that much. Watch your sales. This week turkey sand meat is under 2.00 here and we always have a basket of bread marked down. Oatmeal, rice. Greens and carrots, and whatever is most on sale or at aldis. Sometimes it is hard to stretch till the next payday.

I love how chicken is cheaper than ground beef these days though, I like it so much better.