Serious extensions or weave . . . exercise frustration

Options
Anyone with serious extensions (heavy, awkward and/or grown out) or a weave have trouble with their hair related to their work out?

I love "my" hair -- but in the few weeks before my touchup appt it's just awkward.
It gets itchy when I sweat, I feel like I'm ruining it when I have to wash it after every work out or run, It gets impossibly tangly.
Last time I went in, my hairdresser said, "What have you done?!"

Other hair modifiers -- how do you deal?
Those with past experience -- Is it time to give up? I've got some hair of my own . . .I can flat iron and use clip-ins . . . .but jeez, I've already sunk so much money into my hair -- how did YOU give it up? Any advice reformed-fakers can give me?

Thanks.

Replies

• fitsaxon
    fitsaxon Posts: 57
    Options
    To remove, or not to remove?
    I've got till friday.
  • Princessmoe333
    Princessmoe333 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Remove. Just be you. Once you learn how to love that, then the sky is the limit.
  • erispie
    erispie Posts: 2
    Options
    If they're really bugging you, I'd take 'em out before your appt, and just get it redone. If you're doing damage to them with excessive washing, I'd imagine it'd be harder to touchup, than redo, what with all the little dreddies at the roots.

When I still had braided extensions a lot I just ended up only doing braids during the winter when I wouldn't sweat so much.

After it's redone, just try to really keep it back, and not scrub so much when washing. Maybe just like a vinegar rinse to get the oil/sweat off scalp, is all.
  • dfsnell
    dfsnell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to wear weave...look at profile pic. I was always natural under the weave. I now wear my hair very short and natural. Let the weave go, and take care of whats really important...YOU!!!! Best of luck!
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't have weave or extensions...but I'll comment. :wink:
    I have long kinda curly hair and it's very dry so I try not to wash it too much. SO, when I sweat a lot at the gym I use dry shampoo to freshen it up (NOT WHILE IT'S SWEATY though).
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not white or from the midwest. lol.
    But I don't wear weaves and I'm not natural.

Maybe try cowashing?
    If it's itchy after every work out, get rid of it and just rock your own hair.

I need a blow out right about now, but nothing a brush and castor oil can't fix.
  • fitsaxon
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    To those who said "back/up" -- yes, have been doing that alot lately to avoid washing, its just so lame to have paid for such great hair and then have to keep it up so much.

I may check out the dry shampoo -- that's an option i had not considered.

Whew, and "let it go" is still tough -- but it's good to hear it from people who have done it successfully!
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I recently took out my tracks and put in twists because I was also tired of the maintenance. I was getting my hair flat ironed every two weeks, but it just became to difficult to keep it looking good in between appointments. However, what did work for me, was wrapping my hair really tight when I worked out. Not removing the scarf until my hair was almost/completely dry. Then a trick I learned was to blowdry (really good) it and re-wrap it before I went to sleep. I used my blowdryer with the comb attached. This kept my hair from looking stringy the next day and also kept it tangle free. This worked for me for quite some time; however, I just gave birth in January and my hair is still shedding big time. So all the washing, straightening, and general maintenance just kept breaking my hair. Which is another reason I decided to give my hair a break and do twists for the rest of the year, and let my hair take a break. If you do decide to keep the weave, maybe go full head? Then at least you can use the tricks I mentioned above to keep it looking decent between appointments.

I will say that going into twists and/or braids for 6 months has been a huge relief knowing I don't have to worry about my hair when working out or styling it on a daily basis. I've since been working out like a beast now that I have the freedom to do so. Whatever you decide, good luck.
  • fitsaxon
    Options
    Thanks perfect10!
    My hair def needs a break -- but will try your tips in the meantime.

I'm just afraid, you know, that I won't feel beautiful without it. :(