College Lunch/Dinner ideas

Options
My school starts in a little over a week and I wanted to do some shopping soon to make lunch/dinner for myself while at school to continue with my weight loss.

Things to keep in mind:
1) I'm not really a picky eater
2) fast food/restaurants for dinner isn't necessarily out of the question (there are lots of restaurants close by and I have almost a 2 hr break for dinner)
3) lunch probably shouldn't need to be heated since my schedule is packed from 930-345 with only 15 min breaks between each class
4) I only go to school Tues & Thursday

Please help!

Replies

• ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Devonwood
    Devonwood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily a food tip, but if you have the time and resources to cook in bulk, I would definitely recommend it. On days when I don't have class, I cook a lot of food, and then just reheat it through the week when I'm pressed for time. I'll make two pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts at once, and then use them for various things throughout the week. Chicken sandwiches, chicken salads, etc. Same with vegetables and grains like rice and pasta.

It's saved me so many times when I'm too tired to cook on the other days and think about going out to somewhere unhealthy, but then I remember I have a meal in my apartment that can be made in under a minute!
  • spodob
    spodob Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    do you go to a school with a dining hall? they always have a huge selection of healthy options
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I think this sandwich is delicious, satisfying and only has 185 calories!

2 slices pepperidge farm light wheat bread (35 calories each slice)
    3 slices Land o' frost sliced lean turkey
    1 tablespoon hummus
    Broccoli slaw

With only 185 calories I have this as lunch with grapes or an apple or as a snack.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    1) Boca burgers with whole grain buns - these are good cold too and you can add low-cal cheese

2) Raw brocoli with hummus

3) Chinese food, made with no oil, skip the rice. I like chicken and bean sprouts cooked in broth

4) Soup - Gazpacho is nice in the summer and can be taken in a Thermos. Eat with a few Kavli crackers

Those are just a few suggestions and much better than the Ramen noodles I lived on during my college years, lol.
  • cboss101114
    Options
    I'm at a community college, so nothing insanely healthy but they do have fruit and salads, but most of it is deep fried or cooked on the griddle with about as much care as a waffle house meal...
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, or maybe you are getting supplies form family and friends get a crockpot and a george foreman grill, also a rice cooker.
    If its too expensive, you can go a thrift shop, I always see these kinds of electronic, just make sure they work. I just got a huge Hamilton grill, same thing as a George Forman, for $4. And it works great, just had to clean it good.
    Also a great place to check is craigslist, just meet people in public.

Go online and search one pot meals. Stock up on frozen veggies weekly and just pop them in the microwave with a meal and season, if you cant buy veggies all them time.
    Good luck in school. If this is your first year you will have a blast and learn so much. I don't remember thinking of meals that I could cook when I went to school. I did not cook much that I can remember. Very smart of you.
  • cboss101114
    Options
    Not necessarily a food tip, but if you have the time and resources to cook in bulk, I would definitely recommend it. On days when I don't have class, I cook a lot of food, and then just reheat it through the week when I'm pressed for time. I'll make two pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts at once, and then use them for various things throughout the week. Chicken sandwiches, chicken salads, etc. Same with vegetables and grains like rice and pasta.

It's saved me so many times when I'm too tired to cook on the other days and think about going out to somewhere unhealthy, but then I remember I have a meal in my apartment that can be made in under a minute!

My stomach is sensitive at times and re-heated food doesn't always sit well with me and usually goes to waste. Wish it wasn't that way but can't help it :(
  • ckay220
    Options
    I feel you, my school only have a dining hall & the pub (only serves chicken boxes and pizza)...any everyone talks asbout how they have a kitchen, stove, etc..I have a refridgerator and a floor microwave. So I can't cook anything really...which makes it hard.

Oh, and we can't have grills, hot plates, etc either..=\.
  • cboss101114
    Options
    If you can afford it, or maybe you are getting supplies form family and friends get a crockpot and a george foreman grill, also a rice cooker.
    If its too expensive, you can go a thrift shop, I always see these kinds of electronic, just make sure they work. I just got a huge Hamilton grill, same thing as a George Forman, for $4. And it works great, just had to clean it good.
    Also a great place to check is craigslist, just meet people in public.

Go online and search one pot meals. Stock up on frozen veggies weekly and just pop them in the microwave with a meal and season, if you cant buy veggies all them time.
    Good luck in school. If this is your first year you will have a blast and learn so much. I don't remember thinking of meals that I could cook when I went to school. I did not cook much that I can remember. Very smart of you.

Thanks for the advice, we do have a george foreman as well as a hand-me-down crockpot from his mother. I do have some crock-pot meals that I want to try, but taking those to school isn't really an option and I don't live close enough to the campus to head home for dinner... but thanks though :)
  • cboss101114
    Options
    I feel you, my school only have a dining hall & the pub (only serves chicken boxes and pizza)...any everyone talks asbout how they have a kitchen, stove, etc..I have a refridgerator and a floor microwave. So I can't cook anything really...which makes it hard.

maybe one of your friends can lend you their kitchen to make meals and use your microwave to re-heat them? while i'm not a huge advocate of boxed meals due to their crazy high sodium content, if you counter it with enough water it's an option for you. :)
  • ckay220
    Options

maybe one of your friends can lend you their kitchen to make meals and use your microwave to re-heat them? while i'm not a huge advocate of boxed meals due to their crazy high sodium content, if you counter it with enough water it's an option for you. :)
    Yeah, I'll probably bring a few meals from home...I live about an hour and a half away...I've managed to eat frozen dinners and still be okay with my sodium...it's an easy grab for lunch in the am...but I shall see! Thanks!
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I have dealt with not having the means to cook things. I use tupperware a lot and don't do the frozen meals but I will get frozen veggies, frozen rice and already cooked frozen chicken breasts or turkey burgers and heat them in the microwave and eat them. It's a nice healthy dinner to have as an option.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    That's super creepy, your scedule looks exactly like mine LOL! I'm planning on making lot of sandwiches and salads for lunch, stuff that I can easily keep cold. Oatmeal maybe? Sorry, I'm in need of ideas too!! :/
  • kdelong2
    Options
    I got my lunch idea from Starbuck's Bistro Box http://www.starbucks.com/menu/catalog/product?food=bistro-boxes#view_control=product I make my own version of the protein bistro box, but I have access to a kitchen during the day so I can keep it cold while i'm at work.

I also make a quick salad. I get the leafy lettuce, 1/3 cup of corn, 1/3 cup of black beans, 1/3 cup of John Soule's Chicken Fajita from Walmart (found on the wall, not with the chicken). It's the only refrigerated chicken that doesn't taste watery and fatty. Then I also get the Marketside Chipotle Ranch in the refrigerated produce section. It's obviously high in fat so I will have to make a better choice on my next dressing selection.

I alternate weeks, but I do make the entire week at one time, because I'm always running late and it's easy to grab and go.

I also make egg sandwiches in the AM. I put 6 eggs in a jumbo muffin pan (1 egg per slot) I've heard the muffin TOP pans can be used too. http://www.ehow.com/how_5623008_cook-eggs-muffin-pan.html I've added bell pepper, jalapenos, etc and store the eggs in the fridge for the week and then just heat up 1 egg per day.

If anyone has any quick ideas like the above, I would really appreciate it. Thanks! This post was going to be short.

Kim
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. As a returning student with an hour between work and class and little time I found the following meals easy and portable.
    1. Freeze a yoghourt, bring 1/4C granola and 1/2C fruit of your choice and by the time your dinner break arrives yoghurt will be unfrozen but still cold. Parfait perfection. Add a raw spinach, cucumber and celery salad ... yummy and filling.
    2. take 1C of left over pasta, add a bit of olive oil and some raw veggies (shredded carrots, shredded cabbage) and eat cold. works best with penne or rigatoni. Add cold chicken breast or fish for protein. Eat cold
    3. green giant and other veggie companies have frozen veggie sides (like sprouts, sugar snap peas or medleys) that you can microwave at school. If you have a car you have a freezer (during winter months...at least we do here in Wisconsin) goes great with stacys pita chips and hummus.
    4. whole wheat pita bread with pbj is pretty sweat too. for a bit of crunch bring an apple, celery or Jicama and eat with peanut butter, almond butter or even cashew butter.
    5. try a salad with garbanzo beans and a bit of Parmesan cheese.
    6. try a healthy pizza, pita bread, hummus spread and veggies on top. don't heat just eat.
  • ep3926
    ep3926 Posts: 8
    Options
    This one is tough. My snack is protein shake. I have a shaker, but I pre-blend it in the mixer at home so it mixes better and tastes better. You can also take protein bars. Pack 3 or 4 water bottles to carry you through the day. Lunch - of course, chicken breasts pre-baked a thousand different ways, turkey salad instead of chicken salad. A separate container for salads and a separate little container for your dressing. Yogurt and fruit for afternoon snack on days you are staying at school to study or meet groups. You might try a small cooler that you keep in your car and fill with ice each day. Other thoughts - if the school cafeteria has a microwave, you can cook broccoli in plastic container, or a baked potato, or a sweet potato. Hope this helps.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    FRUIT

I have classes M-F so I take a lunchbox(it's fashionable looks like a purse but it's completely insulated, got it at sams club) with fruit, celery stix and snack size peanut butter, protein bars/shakes and bottle of water. We have a caf which is all you can eat so I try to stay out of it!
  • omanitshann
    Options
    casadillas, tuna, egg salad, scrambled eggs, etc., sweet potatoes, peanut butter jelly and banana, spaghetti
  • veronicaS376
    veronicaS376 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    **penne pasta with healthy tomato sauce.
    **brown rice with chicken breast and salad on the side
    ** tuna or chicken salad or egg salad sandwich
    **hot dog. i know it is bad for weight loss but ONE is fine.