couch to 5k questions

Options
OK so because it is so easy for me to make excuses not to get to the gym or run by my parents house to use their equipment in their garage I am thinking of doing the couch to 5k. I have no space in my house to use dvd's...literally I can't even do yoga in my house!!! But there is no reason I can't get out and run or ride my bike.

I just googled couch to 5k and clicked the first link. But here is my question...do I really need to purchase the online plan for $20 or should I just look at the schedule provided? Or for that matter does anyone have any other suggestions on a running program!?!? I am not at all a runner so I need something I can take slow and at my own pace.

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    i got a simple app on my phone that i paired with a pedometer for distance
  • Starionn
    Options
    Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.active.aps.c25k&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwMiwiY29tLmFjdGl2ZS5hcHMuYzI1ayJd

iOS app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/couch-to-5k/id448474423?mt=8

$1.99, and at least on my android phone (I would assume iphone as well) it uses the GPS to track my distance.

Good luck! :D
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have sports tracker live on my phone that was free I believe. I use it for my bike rides because it will track my distance, speed, inclines, etc. and I know it can be used for walking and running also. I've got a pedometer too.

I just don't know if I really need to spend the $20 on the c25k program or what....but I will check out these apps too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope - you don't need to spend the $20.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    No you don't need to spend the $20. There are free apps you can get...
  • ncthomas09
    Options
    I am running though the google play app store for my android...of course I've got some 10+ pages to go through because games and junk like that are mixed in and I'm not sure how to filter them out. But I am making myself a list of them with their options so I can pick one. I'm not opposed to purchasing an app but it has to be cheap!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I downloaded NHS Couch to 5k podcasts from iTunes (I believe they are on the web for download)...They were free...
    If you have an mp3 player you are set...The girl MC calls the run walk points and provides useful tips...
    Highly recommend this...I just finished my week 9 day 3 run... Very happy with the program! :happy:
  • ncthomas09
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I have an mp3 player and my phone has some music on it. I wish there was an app that came with music rather than using your own playlist. I listen to country 98% of the time and it is NOT good for work out music. I don't know enough other music to know what to download but I did just see another message board with music suggestions.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The NHS podcasts are mp3s and come with their own music...There are other c25k podcasts with other music that you can download for free. There is a MFP c25k group that discusses these podcasts. I like the NHS music. Its up beat and only 30 min.

The phone apps allow you to use your own music and overlay the walk and run points on top of your music. I dont have one but this is what I gather from the MFP forums....

edited (added):

c25k podcast and app reviews:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387466-podcast-and-app-reviews
  • ncthomas09
    Options
    that's a big help even! There are so many apps to pick from it's getting just as overwhelming as trying to decide how to start running! LOL Who knew fitness to a beginner could be so overwhelming!!! I've got the diet part down now to get the exercise part down!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I didn't even print the plan off.. I just wrote it down, and followed it. No smartphone, no printout, definitely nothing purchased. I just got out there and pounded out the minutes with a stopwatch. I didn't even have running clothes, just old sweats. Now I've ran (and placed) in 5k's, a half marathon and 2 Warrior Dashes. It changed my life, and cost next to nothing. But definitely get good shoes. That's non-negotiable.
  • ncthomas09
    Options
    In reading a lot of the forums I have definitely discovered there is a need for good shoes!!! I will have to get by with what I have for now because of a bunch of medical expenses I am gathering up (which means I may not get to start running right away) but new shoes are definitely on my list!!

I have about decided I am going to find one of the apps through google play and download some new music. I'm not good at the stop watch thing so I think an app voicing to me to change could be a big help! And I'm less likely to trip over my own two feet!! LOL

I am so excited to get this started soon!!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    also keep in mind the weather in your area its starting to get cool now in my area which is actually odd so im digging out the long sleeves so i can find them when it gets cold already wear tights under my shorts tho ive got a funny leg size and the knee brace i like for running doesnt fit right with out em
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Mine was called Ease into 5K. Maybe that will help you find the app on your phone. Good luck!
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Nope - you don't need to spend the $20.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

^^^This!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have an Android phone and I use SimpleC25K. It's free and lets you use your own music.

You can also download Pandora or I heart radio and use those for music.
  • sd75
    sd75 Posts: 49
    Options
    Don't waste your money - i downloaded the 5K101 (look it up on google) and its a couch to 5K programme that u can download to your phone for free. I'm up to week three now - having started from really not being a runner at all, i'm now finding i'm looking forward to the challenge each week brings adn am enjoying running too. I think its a great program for complete beginners and has a facebook page as well so u can link to friends etc as well if you want to .... Good Luck :happy:
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You don't have to pay for it...google it

OR if you are on FB go to:

https://www.facebook.com/C25Kplan

You can pick up a copy of it anywhere on the internet...there is no big secret to it.

Just run in increments (as suggested) and eventually, you will be able to run longer and longer.

I started it in March and am running my 1st 5K event this Saturday.

When I started the program, I couldn't even run the 90 secs it starts with!

If I can do it, anyone can!

Happy running!
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    just like everyone else said, you don't need to pay for a c25k program. If you have a smartphone you can find free program apps. The one I'm using is called "Simple C25K". I also use a HRM & my fitbit. I will be starting week 2 Day 1 tomorrow. Good luck :)
  • pellini76
    pellini76 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the NHS choices one through iTunes and am starting this tomorrow.