What to do with lots of leftover tomatoes and watermelon?

Options
So my office had our annual picnic yesterday, and it was a smashing success. We'd calculated all the food perfectly, except for the watermelon wedges and sliced tomatoes.In the end I took home around 2 lbs. of sliced tomatoes, and probably 3-6 lbs. of watermelon wedges.

So my question is, aside from the obvious munching, any ideas what kind of recipes I could make with this stuff, if any? The tomatoes are sliced, but with skins and seeds still attached would they not be a good fit for a pasta sauce?

Thanks for your help!

Edited to add: It's just my fiance and I living in our apartment, so there's no helpful batch of youngins to eat everything up, either.

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    1 lb of watermelon is only like 135 calories.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Use the tomatos in a tomato salad.. vinagrette dressing , perhaps slice some red onion also.. YUM!! Watermelon.. you can put in in a blender with a ltitle water and make juice... or just cut it up and store it in the fridge. You can eat a ton for few calories.
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    http://bigflavors.blogspot.com/2009/08/mediterranean-watermelon-salad.html

I made my own version of this salad. I am sure I left out the honey, oil and dill and increased the lime juice and mint (which is growing in our yard) Hope you like it.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Salsa.....The watermelon could add some interesting sweetness to it if properly incorporated...
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Purée & freeze the watermelon -- instant sorbet!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Freeze and use as needed.

Use frozen cubes of watermelon to flavor and chill water... or wine.

I've used whole tomatoes with skin and seeds in marinara sauce before.... it's the only way I'd use use them.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Watermelon: Puree and put into popscicle holders and freeze. Very cooling and refreshing.
  • 1dresch
    1dresch Posts: 19
    Options
    Watermelon Salad

Chunks of Watermelon
    Diced Cucumbers
    Thinly Sliced Red Onions
    Feta Cheese crumbles

Mix all together in the portions you like (I don't have the exact amounts with me). I used mostly watermelon. Then dress salad with FF Raspberry Viniagrette. Delicious!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd use the tomato to make a sauce for chili con carne, and I'd make a big batch of chili con carne and freeze it in little containers, so I could defrost a meal whenever I wanted.

I'd just eat the watermelon as it is, or put it in a fruit salad, and eat it throughout the week.
  • C_Lopez
    C_Lopez Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kina7381
    Kina7381 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Caprese sticks with the tomatoes

On toothpicks put pieces of tomato, fresh mozarella cheese and a basil leave. Drizzle with light balsamic vinaigrette
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just saw a recipe for a Margarita with watermelon. I'll see if I can find in on the web...
  • gjsmommy
    gjsmommy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can make salsa with either one.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I would use the tomatoes to make pasta sauce and soup and freeze them. Love tomato based sauces and soups.
  • Amykantha
    Options
    I love a greek style tomato cucumber salad. Add feta cheese, olive oil, vinegar. Kalmata olives if desired.
  • sandyyy712
    Options
    sometimes i put ice and watermelon into a blender and make a kick *kitten* waermelon juice. its SO good :)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Fresh pasta sauce with the tomatoes: Chop them up, saute several cloves (I would do alot) of garlic in a little olive oil, then add the tomatoes, some basil and salt to taste. Don't cook long at all. Add pasta of your choice.

Fresh salsa: Chop up the tomatoes, some onion, peppers (hot or sweet or both), lime juice or vinegar, salt. (Cilantro if you have it)

Not sure for the watermelon - just eat it!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Use them together, there are tons of watermelon and tomato salad recipes out there.
    I recently used this one:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tomato-and-Watermelon-Salad-352389
    Goat cheese, feta, and queso fresco all work pretty well with the fresh flavors. Basil, mint, cilantro, and tarragon all work well, too.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'd cook down the tomatoes to make a sauce (run them through a food mill to get rid of the skin and seeds). If you don't have an immediate use for it, you can freeze it to make any number of wonderful things. I tend to buy a lot of tomatoes from the farmers market for this purpose, and end up using it for pizza sauce, soup, pasta sauce, you name it. It actually tastes so good I sometimes have it by itself.
  • KateDee40
    KateDee40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, olive oil and a little salt...eat with real mozzarela or over baked chicken (if carbs are not an issue over pasta). OR tomatoes, red onion a jalepeno, garlic, season salt, cilantro and olive oil for fresh salsa.

Watermelon...enjoy!