MyFitnessPal + FitBit + Endomondo = Me :)

Options
I was using MyFitnessPal for a while there to manually enter in my food and exercises but then I got a FitBit and switched to using their site to do everything. Well, their food database sucks and their site (and their mobile app) are lacking. The other night I went to enter my food and the database lookup was down and I got sick of it. So, here I am.

Now I use my FitBit to track my daily overall activities and have my MyFitnessPal account linked up so now I enter all my food using either the website, Android app on my tablet at home, or the Blackberry app on my phone (I know… “who still owns a blackberry?!?!” but it’s my work phone and it’s so refreshing when something I want to use actually has an app for this sinking ship that is Research In Motion). Sometimes I’ll also use Endomondo to track some of my outdoor exercises that FitBit can’t do (namely bike riding). All told I think the combination I have now is working out quite well. Both Endomondo and MyFitnessPal are linked into my FitBit account. Sure beats paying the $50/year that FitBit wants for their “Premium” features.

I’ve been actively tracking things like caloric intake and activity for a few weeks now but the one thing I haven’t done is make it all social. Does it really make a difference when you compare yourself to others? It’s not a contest… right? I work in an office doing IT crap so I don’t think it would be a fair measure to add someone like a professional roofer to my friends list.

Either way, here I am. If you have any questions about the FitBit or Endomondo or whatever else just let me know. Live well.

Replies

• wcjcjplourde
    wcjcjplourde Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm replying just to bookmar this. I had a question regarding calorie counters, which nobody responded to. But, I will get back to you on this.
  • CortneyDub
    CortneyDub Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just started getting into the social part of it as well (just made my 1st post today looking to add more people). I had only a few of my real-life friends on here then noticed when they stopped logging that ii started feeling less accountable. I wish I had more internal motivation to stay consistent, and I'm working on that, but I think that this sort of thing can help if you're looking for motivation to stay active or on track with a meal plan. Or at least that's why I wanted to add more people. The comparison part isn't as big a part of it in terms of a contest, but I will say that if I see that someone I know who has a busy schedule made time to work out then it's motivation for me to put my excuses aside and do something. Just my opinion and experience using this :)
  • taranonymous
    Options
    Cool. I just got my FitBit in the mail. I bought it because I want to track "incidental exercise" like stairs and running for the bus (I seem to do that a lot!), and I also want to challenge myself to work more of it into my day (e.g. getting off the bus two stops early to walk). I don't even want to try using the FitBit nutrition tracker, since I'm so used to the MFP one, I have friends on here, and the database is incredible. I just linked my accounts and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

If I run into any issues, I'll be sure to drop in and ask!

Tara
  • wcjcjplourde
    wcjcjplourde Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OK. My question is about calorie counters. I track my cardio through Endomondo, and transfer the time and pace to MFP, which lowers my burned calories by about 40%. For instance, endo tracked one of my walks at 979 calories burned. However, MFP listed it as 488. So, which one should I trust? I tend to just go by MFP because it allows me less of the extra calories to eat. Better safe than sorry. But, for personal referrence, I would LOVE to know how much I'm actually burning.
    I'm wondering if linking in with FitBit might give me a little more accuracy in my caloric input/output. Since you use all 3, maybe you could give me some insight.
    As for the social part of MFP, I don't feel it as being a comparison/contest at all. It's more of an accountability tool (so long as you're honest about it). Also, I get encouragement from my cousin, which is very helpful!
    You're welcome to add me, if you like.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo all the time. I use it with a Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor. Its much more accurate then a fitbit.
  • williameduncan
    williameduncan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use MFP and Endomondo; What is FitBit?
  • juliesjuke
    juliesjuke Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What is endomondo?:wink:
  • williameduncan
    Options
    endomondo is a website/mobile app that allows you to track workouts (mainly outdoor cardio) in real time.

http://www.endomondo.com/home
  • williameduncan
    Options
    It turns out that I have FitBit on my phone...now, how do I use it?
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    FitBit is more of an electronic pedometer. It attaches to you for measuring steps, distance, time, stair flights, calories burned, sleep patterns.

It links to both FitBit.com and MFP, adding exercise calories to your food plan. It is available by app or web. Like any IT product, it has it's limitations and gliches.

That being said, wouldn't be caught without it!
  • jdmagoo
    Options
    If you use MFP, Endomondo and fitbit then doest the calorie count get distorted in MFP. Because its using the calories burnt from fitbit as an exercise therefore allowing you to consume more calories, which is inaccurate and doubling your calorie count. I guess if you use the Fitbit app only to monitor how many calories you can consume then this may work?
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo all the time. I had a Fitbit and stopped using it a while back for a Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor that sync's up to my Endomondo Android up. Its way more accurate tbh.
  • Swizzle1986
    Options
    I only use my ipod which has some fitness app on it to track exercise.
    I have no interest in lugging my phone around to track my jogging lol. But i have been on myfitnesspal for a few months, and have slowly gotten more and more into the logging and am getting far more accurate.