Hi, im back, more on race/ethnicity =)

Options
virichi08
virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
I really liked all the POSITIVE feed back i got from my post earlier, and now im curious as to what everyone's background is. Im not asking for a 3 page essay on who ur great great great great (x6) grandparents were. Just as far back as ur mom and dad. lol As for me i am Haitian-American. I state it that way because i was born Haiti and been in the states for 18/19 years. I do speak my native tongue pretty fluently. I like to say i speak 90% Engish and 90% Kreyol because there are some words i dnt know in both lanuages (that even sounds strange to me but its tru) Sometimes ill pick up a peice of vegetable at the market and ask my friends "how do u say this i english?" lol =)

Replies

• tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am American. Why doesn't anyone ever say that?
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I Am a Mexican American!
  • virichi08
    Options
    I dunno. Sometimes when i tell ppl i'm haitian hey get all hostile and TELL ME im American and then ask me where i'm from. After i tell them their like, "oh, nevermind then." lol kinda funny to me.
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    LOL cause if I said I was American I would be lying LOL

I am a kiwi from New Zealand with Maori, Yugoslavian and Russian background. Parents both from NZ though.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm Dutch english. My dads mom was also 1/4 American Indian. My dads father is an orphan, but both my grandparents have English surnames. My mom's family is dutch on her father's side and English on her mother's.

My family has a bible (dutch side) that is about 1/2 Dutch and 1/2 English that dates back to 1600ish and documents our emmigration to the southern US (south Carolina) and then our distribution through the deep south.
  • virichi08
    Options
    LOL cause if I said I was American I would be lying LOL

I am a kiwi from New Zealand with Maori, Yugoslavian and Russian background. Parents both from NZ though.

cool! =)
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    What I meant was... people like me, at least 5 generation American, will still say they are Irish, or French, or Polish... yet they have to go back generations to find anyone not born here. By ethnicity I am French Canadian, German, and Native American. I am American tho.
  • virichi08
    Options
    I'm Dutch english. My dads mom was also 1/4 American Indian. My dads father is an orphan, but both my grandparents have English surnames. My mom's family is dutch on her father's side and English on her mother's.

My family has a bible (dutch side) that is about 1/2 Dutch and 1/2 English that dates back to 1600ish and documents our emmigration to the southern US (south Carolina) and then our distribution through the deep south.

WOW.... neat stuff....
  • virichi08
    Options
    What I meant was... people like me, at least 5 generation American, will still say they are Irish, or French, or Polish... yet they have to go back generations to find anyone not born here. By ethnicity I am French Canadian, German, and Native American. I am American tho.

I understand what u mean. lol sometimes ppl give me a loong list and somewhere in that i get lost.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Let see. I'm Bermudian. My parents were Canadian and Bermudian. Mom's side of the family is straight forward. English/Maltese. My father's side, both Bermudian, one black one white. Beyond that I have no clue whatsoever.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents are Albanian but were born in the former Yugoslavia. I am 1st Generation American. :-D
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Just garden-variety American here, but family tree reaches back to England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, and The Netherlands. Why yes! I do sunburn easily! How did you know? :-P
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what I am. A white mutt I guess.
    My family on my mothers side seems to have been here for generations and generations so I guess I will go with American.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm an American of Italian (50%), Irish (25%) and Cherokee (25%) decent. My mom is Italian, my dad is the mutt. :smile:
  • kyomoon
    kyomoon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How's this for straight forward and to the point... I'm Canadian mongrel! And proud of it!! :laugh:
  • Oh BOY! This is gonna be long...

Cherokee/Choctaw/Irish >Native American
    English/Welsh/Scott-Irish/ >Celtic
    CajunFrench/German/ >Germanic ???
    Spain???>Gauls/Celtic/Arabic
    ???>Baltic
    Melted together to form me! An American!

Dad's has the Welsh/Scott-Irish/ 1/8 or 1/16 Choctaw/French/German/Spanish
    Mom's ???(Dad was adopted we think though he's Baltic) / English/Irish/Cherokee
  • I just killed this thread...
  • virichi08
    Options
    I just killed this thread...

MURDERER! hehehee
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    cherokee
    chocktaw
    canadian french
    german
    english
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Native American and Irish on my moms side and English and Spanish on my fathers side! Yes I'm dark haired and tan very easily!!