Will this work?

Options
Hello again:smile:

A friend of mine gave me his advice on weightloss....2 protein shakes 1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch and then a light dinner... OR plain oatmeal (no sugar/salt) for breakfast... fruit for lunch and a protein shake for dinner...he lost alot of weight so im tempted....GOOD idea or BAD??:huh:

Replies

• ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My vote is for bad idea. Especially if you do the oatmeal, then fruit for lunch deal. You'll be starving by the time dinner comes around and your daily calorie intake will be so low that you'll do the whole screw up your metabolism thing. It sounds like a starvation variation of slim fast to me.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Hello again:smile:

A friend of mine gave me his advice on weightloss....2 protein shakes 1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch and then a light dinner... OR plain oatmeal (no sugar/salt) for breakfast... fruit for lunch and a protein shake for dinner...he lost alot of weight so im tempted....GOOD idea or BAD??:huh:

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, for endless reasons. The least of which is you're not going to sustain that diet for very long before you give it up out of shere boredom.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    my opinion is bad idea ..... you need 3 healthy meals and snacks everyday .... you would be starving yourself if you did the fruit and protein shakes .. good luck to you with whatever you decide ....
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    agreed. While this might work, severely restrictive diets are a recipe for relapse. Learn how to eat healthy and you never have to worry again about going on and coming off a diet again. Every time you yoyo, it puts a lot of stress on your organs and your metabolism, which makes it harder the next time you want to lose weight. Better to learn how to eat healthy and exercise so that you can continue forever.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    He may lose weight, but will he keep it off the rest of his life. It is just a quick fix. There must be a lifestyle change when it comes to food. I have learned to eat in moderation as well as eat healthier. It has taken me nearly a year to lose the weight, but it came when I finally dealt with my issues with food. People can drink the shakes and eat their salads, but it gets old quick because they can't handle not eating what they loved. I haven't given up eating some unhealthy foods or alcohol. I do it in moderation and only once in a while.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    My vote is for bad idea. Especially if you do the oatmeal, then fruit for lunch deal. You'll be starving by the time dinner comes around and your daily calorie intake will be so low that you'll do the whole screw up your metabolism thing. It sounds like a starvation variation of slim fast to me.

I agree, that will cause some very quick nice results, but will be impossible to maintain and once you start eating normally your metabolism will be so low from the lack of calories that you'll gain it all right back, plus thats not a balanced diet, so you wont be getting the nutrition you need.

Try for:
    300-350 calorie breakfast (I love oatmeal made with 1/4 cup milk 1/4 cup eggwhites & 1/2 cup water plus cinamon & stevia, VERY filling and tasty)
    100-200 calorie snack: fruit or veggies or a snack pack
    300-350 calorie lunch: soup & crackers is a favorite or a kashi frozen meal
    100-200 calorie snack: yogurt or laughing cow cheese with crackers & turkey peperoni is one of my faves
    350-400 calorie dinner: meat & veggies with couscous or rice or a sweet potato

1,150-1,500 calories per day which for most of us is a pretty healthy range!
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    Bad idea in my opinion ~ plus it can't just be a diet, it has to be a life change, or it will all come back ~ trust me, been there, done that :)

welcome!
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Bad idea.
    You may lose but it will come back when you start to eat again. If you want to have 2 shakes and a light dinner every day for the rest of your life - go for it.

Better idea. think whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables, lean protein and exercise. You will lose weight, you will be healthy and you can still enjoy food.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    my opinion, bad idea... if it isnt something you can do for the rest of your life then why do it? otherwise, as soon as you go back to regular food you will pack it all right back on. Make changes in things you can do for life, eat healthy foods, stuff with lots of color, (i.e. veggies!) lean meats/fish, fruits, whole grains/fiber in reasonable portions and get lots of exercise... that truly does work best, and for the long haul..

good luck to you
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. Use the tools on this site to determine what your daily caloric intake should be and make sure you follow it. Good luck.
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    [
    Try for:
    300-350 calorie breakfast (I love oatmeal made with 1/4 cup milk 1/4 cup eggwhites & 1/2 cup water plus cinamon & stevia, VERY filling and tasty)

do you microwave the egg whites in the oatmeal, or have them separately? and is that two egg whites?
  • IdalieBeyer
    IdalieBeyer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, it is a bad idea. My main reason is that your metabolism will slow down to make up for the lack of calories. People mistake calories like it's just for weight gain or loss. A calorie is the unit of energy that it takes for your body to heat up water. Think of how you are depriving your body of its natural functions if you go on such a calorie restricting diet. Instead use the tool tab on this site and find out how many calories you burn by doing nothing and find out what your desirable weight should be and aim for that.