OMG this better be fluid

So I workout 90min per day every day this week. Absolutely killed it at the gym. left completely soaked kept to my calories and what do I get for weigh in day?? a big fat gain that's what I get. I was so disgusted. I mean really?? I'm hoping it's fluid. I really am although tonight my daughter got me a tuna sub from subway to the tune of 940 calories! so I ate it. so Up 1 1/2 lbs from last week. Well nothing I can do about it now. Can only trudge forward and hope for something good next week

Replies

• Last week I was up 1.5lbs and this week I was down 3! So yeah it could quite possibly be fluid. You just have to shake this off and don't give up.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    You have been working hard. Just keep it up and the scale wont have a choice but to go down.
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Sometimes I find it can take up to a week before the scales register a good week of eating and exercisingfor me so hang in there. I know it disheartening when you have put in the hard work and do not see the immediate results but keep going. Keep the faith!!!:smile:
  • Thanks for the support from everyone. Hopefully next week will be better
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    You've been killing at the gym? It's probably muscle weight! That's a good thing - that will help you lose fat! Gratz! Don't judge your success on the scale alone. Sure it's a great tool and being lighter is desirable, but fluctuation is a normaly part of becoming healthier. You will gain and lose and gain and lose throughout your journey. Weightloss is a side effect of getting healthy, but getting healthy is the leading role.
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Muscles retain lots of water when they are in repair. Just drink lots of water, you will see the number drop in no time. Keep it up!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    We use the scale because it is most convenient. Not because it is the most accurate.

Its just fluid :)
  • tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    The same thing happens to me whenever I work out harder or more often than usual. Your muscles tear, so they retain water to repair themselves. The water weight will come back off, just be patient. Stick with it, ignore the scale for a few days, check your measurements - you'll see the results.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    You've been killing at the gym? It's probably muscle weight! That's a good thing - that will help you lose fat! Gratz! Don't judge your success on the scale alone. Sure it's a great tool and being lighter is desirable, but fluctuation is a normaly part of becoming healthier. You will gain and lose and gain and lose throughout your journey. Weightloss is a side effect of getting healthy, but getting healthy is the leading role.

wrong. She did not gain muscle at the gym in that short amount of time. could be water weight as muscles retain a bunch of water but she definitely did not gain muscle weight that quickly.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    If I kill my workouts, supplement with creatine, and have a few big carb and sodium days, I can gain 10 lbs. in a week. It's water retention.

If I want to get rid of it, I'll eat <100 grams of carbs a day, keep my sodium below 1,500, and lessen my creatine supplementation. It'll be gone in about 4 days.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    I weigh at the same time first thing in the morning because the water weight is not likely to be a factor. I definitely retain more fluid during and after working out.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    I'm up 3 lbs in the last five days. Frustrating but I KNOW I did not eat an extra 10,500 calories that would have made me gain 3 lbs of fat! Surely it's just some water retention. I've been working out pretty hard but I'm not sure I've been keeping hydrated enough. Hopefully I see the number drop again in the next few days. Just try not to get too focused on the number and let it define your mood/behavior in any way :)
  • dlbaca1
    dlbaca1 Posts: 6
    Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose.
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    It is not all about the scale. You are working out and making yourself a healthier you. When my clients don't see changes on the scales for a couple of weeks despite their hard work and proper eating, I take measurements. When they see that they have lost inches, it keeps them motivated. Also, the other day, my client gained 1 pound. during the workout, we did stairs. The last time she did them, she had to walk them and was having a hard time. Yesterday, she jogged them not once, but twice. Take a journey down memory lane and look at where you were and what you have accpomplished. So keep up the good work.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    if you *killed it* in the gym for 7 days straight, then got on the scale on the 8th day, I am guessing it is fluid.

I weighed in Monday morning, then worked out Monday, Tuesday...weighed in on Wednesday morning and I was 1lb heavier than Monday...worked out Wednesday. Took Thursday off, weighed in friday morning and I had lost 0.2lbs off Monday's weight.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    I side with the "it's fluid" folks. The only thing I might add is that if you are not keeping tabs on your sodium you could be carrying even more fluid than you think. People forget to watch those levels. I have to because of high blood pressure. When my son came home to visit we ate out several times. I kept my calories in check by my sodium went higher than I like to keep it. I gained almost 6 lbs of water weight that week. 5 days later it was gone. So yes, even us guys can have our own version of TOM I guess, just without all the *****yness. :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Instructor03, this is so true! I was a little disappointed this morning when I saw that I had only lost .5 lb, but my measurements were much lower. And, I got a fitbit a week ago and have been doing a lot of squatting, lunging, going up and down stairs. I'm being competitive with myself and resetting my goals for steps, floors, mileage every few days. Plus, I took my bp and pulse when I was walking around Publix waiting for my husband's prescription to be filled. Bp was 117/74 which is good. But what was amazing to me was that my pulse was 59! For years I would take my pulse at one of those machines while shopping and it would always be in the 90's or 100's! Better health and feeling good is awesome, so I will take that .5 lb weight loss with pride :bigsmile:
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    wrong. She did not gain muscle at the gym in that short amount of time. could be water weight as muscles retain a bunch of water but she definitely did not gain muscle weight that quickly.

^^ agree.

Drink lots of water and don't weigh for a few days. You'll be fine. Just went through this when I started Ripped in 30.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    It will just b water retention from working out.... Tho next time just eat half the sandwich, 900 old cals is ridiculous for a sandwich!
  • JWB42
    JWB42 Posts: 112
    You're gaining MUSCLE, it weighs more than fat and the more muscle you have...the more fat you burn. Keep up the good work and I totally wish I could work out for 90 minutes at a time! I'm doing 30 minutes and that's all I can handle. You'll be fine! I promise!