The doctor made me cry...

Options
I went to see a new doctor today and she recommended that I have the weight loss surgery since I have a metabolic disorder (PCOS) and diabetes. She said that the likelihood of me losing enough weight on my own is slim because "that biologically how my body is." I'm so upset. I've been teary all day. Does anyone know anything about this?

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Find a new Doctor and tell that one shove it. I have Insulin Resistance and have lost over 110 lbs in about 9 months. My primary is absolute shocked that I have done it. Anyone can.

I assume you are at least on Metformin for diabetes? That should help the blood sugar. Now for the hard part. Go Primal. No joking and no cheating. You have to go low carb or you just won't lose with PCOS. Because you have diabetes you will want to check with a non-idiot Doctor if adequate protein is okay for your kidneys. Unless you currently have kidney issues, it should be fine but it is something that diabetics have to watch.

Go here -- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
    And here -- http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/

And don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Do what I did and show them you can.
  • grippycat1
    Options
    Doctors can be *kitten* sometimes (q: what do you call the student who graduated dead last in med school? a: "doctor") - if you want support to do the diet and exercise slog, there are a lot of really kind people here who'd love to give you support :)
  • amrita0286
    Options
    That's kind of uncalled for... Not all doctors are rude. As a medical student myself, I can certainly say that doctor was rude to you but not all would be that mean.
    You can definately do it! Don't be upset and stay strong :)
  • noahsmommie
    noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Find a new Doctor and tell that one shove it. I have Insulin Resistance and have lost over 110 lbs in about 9 months. My primary is absolute shocked that I have done it. Anyone can.

I assume you are at least on Metformin for diabetes? That should help the blood sugar. Now for the hard part. Go Primal. No joking and no cheating. You have to go low carb or you just won't lose with PCOS. Because you have diabetes you will want to check with a non-idiot Doctor if adequate protein is okay for your kidneys. Unless you currently have kidney issues, it should be fine but it is something that diabetics have to watch.

And don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Do what I did and show them you can.

You freaking rock! Thanks. :)
  • noahsmommie
    Options
    That's kind of uncalled for... Not all doctors are rude. As a medical student myself, I can certainly say that doctor was rude to you but not all would be that mean.

The weird thing is that she was very sweet(?). I think that she genuinely felt that she was coming from a place of helping. But she pretty much just scared the crap out of me.
  • noahsmommie
    Options
    Doctors can be *kitten* sometimes (q: what do you call the student who graduated dead last in med school? a: "doctor") - if you want support to do the diet and exercise slog, there are a lot of really kind people here who'd love to give you support :)

Love this. lol Thanks for the support.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Here's another example of a doctor "telling" someone something... in this case, that he'd never walk unassisted again. I never get tired of seeing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    omg don't let your doctors rude words determine your goals for you. I say get another doctor and WORK YOUR *kitten* OFF to prove that one wrong. Then go back into her office when you've lost your weight and say TOLD YA SO!

It will be hard but you can do whatever you put your mind too. The only obsticle in front of you is your mind...move your feet and your body will follow suit
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Find a new doctor! I have PCOS too. It sucks! It makes things harder, but not imposable. You can do it.
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think your doc is full of ****, ....you can lose weight , it might be slow but you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • xBrittanyK
    Options
    Definitely find a new doctor! I have PCOS and have lost 84lbs, 65 of which have been since January 15th of this year! It is definitely doable once you start eating right, find the right combinations of medications (maybe metformin?) and vitamins (have your vit D checked!) and include some exercise. Don't let anyone push you into surgery and don't rush into that thinking it's your only option. It's not!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Get over that doctor's ****ty opinion. You want to lose weight? Do it. Find a new doctor and/or a nutritionist. You have to be on board though.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

You freaking rock! Thanks. :)
    this!^^^
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

The weird thing is that she was very sweet(?). I think that she genuinely felt that she was coming from a place of helping. But she pretty much just scared the crap out of me.

She probably does think she knows best. Most doctors do. And, the truth is, losing weight takes dedication, and takes a lot longer if you do it the old fashioned way - diet and exercise - rather than surgery. But, the surgery isn't always the best answer, regardless. I know a lot of folks who have had it but gained all of the weight back over time. The bottom line is, unless you change your eating habits, weight loss isn't sustainable over time. I think you're looking to do this the right way. It may take you longer, but you'll be healthier for not having surgery. This is a perfect example of where a second opinion is in order.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Although many think they do, doctors do not know everything. I've had doctors tell me I wouldn't be able to work again (I'm working now), would never father children (I spent years paying child support for three of them), and many other things that proved to be flat wrong.

Hang in there and consult with a different doctor.
  • goodmans90
    goodmans90 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that has happened to you. About the same thing happened to me, except I don't have the problems that you do. I had to go see a cardiologist, and he was the one that is so instrumental in my weight loss. He preceded to tell me over and over again throughout my appointment, that I needed gastric bypass, there was no way that I could lose enough weight that would matter. I was seeing red before that appt. was over. That very day I left there with one thing in my mind, I was going to show him! I started that day, and haven't looked back since. I had to return to him 6 months after that, I had lost 70 pounds, the nurses told me they were going to rub it into his face everyday! The worst was he didn't even really say much to me about it, he was like thats good, we will see if you can keep it off. Well, now it is 6 months later, actually it will be one year to the day I have to go back, I am hoping that by then I will have reached my 100lb mark. The point of this rather long story is, don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something, you can do it. Show them how you can, rub it in there faces. I wish you Good Luck
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last year in Nov i had a new doctor and she was so rude and just didnt seem to care about my feelings, i had told her i had already lost 78 pounds and that i didnt need surgery she made me cry right in front of my husband. And after i left her office i was so mad at myself for letting her get to me like that, so i called my insurance and told them how she acted and ask them to find me a new doctor which they did. You dont need that kind of negative attitude around you when you are trying to better yourself.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Get a second opinion and that will solve the problem. My daughter has pcos and is having a hard time too. I think it's common.

Yes, see a different doctor. I would have cried to so don't feel bad.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options

This.

You don't need their pills or surgery.

Doctors and the pharmaceutical industry lost a lot of credibility with me after that whole Swine Flu scam, what a joke that was.

Take anything they say with a grain of salt.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I manged my PCOS first by going vegetarian and then by going vegan. It definitely helps a lot.