New Treadmill

Options
Well I am getting a new treadmill tonight and I was wondering if anyone has any good workouts that they follow I don't just want to walk or run for 30-60 minutes each night I want a little bit of a challenge.

I have an elliptical at home as well but I never really use it because I found it a little dull, so I am hoping I will enjoy my treadmill more or with having the two I can switch it up each night. (or maybe the hubby will join in )

Any who just thought I would ask.

Have a great Day

Replies

• safiresp04
    Options
    Try running/jogging intervals - 1 minute walk, 1 minute run. Also, walk at a good clip at an incline and you'll get a good workout - much better than walking level.

When you walk at an incline, it should be like climbing a hill; you want to kind of lean your body into it. I see lots of people walking too fast at too high of an incline & they have to hold onto the rails to stay on & keep up their speed. This keeps their body perpendicular to the treadmill and completely defeats the purpose of walking at an incline. When you're walking at an incline, you're lifting more of your body weight for each step you take (think stair-climber) and so it works your muscles better.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Most treadmills have Pre-set Workout Programs. Before you buy just check out the programs.

I have had a treadmill for almost a year and like your ellipitical, I MUST admit it gets a bit boring, I am ashamed to say I let it sit idle for almost 6 months. Last month when I joined MFP I have been actively getting on most mornings, if I get bored I will just work out in the evenings with a workout program on Comcast Exercise TV!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I like to walk 1/10 of a mile, and then run 1/10 of a mile. You can also listen to music and change the pace up at the end of each song; run during the chorus; etc to keep things interesting (if you listen to music while you workout.) The timed intervals are also good. Just play mind games and say you'll run for so long or walk for so long. I used to HATE being on the treadmill until I started doing these things and listening to my ipod. Now it seems like an hour passes my quicker on my treadmill than with any of my other workouts!
  • SexyMrsCarty
    SexyMrsCarty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all the tips I will make sure to try them all I am so happy I just got home with it and it's all set up now but it's too late to use it for me I have to get to bed now to get up for work tomorrow but as soon as I get home I will be right on the treadmill as soon as I can.

Can't wait
    Thank you all
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and there are all kinds of things you can do. I have had to cut (way) back on it the last couple of months because of an injury, and I miss it a lot.

At first, I was just doing a walk/run routine because I couldn't do a sustained run. I probably started with 2 min walk, 1 min run. Once I got up to 4 min run, 1 min walk then I started doing more structured workouts to keep track of progress. Once I got up to 25 total running minutes, I started increasing the run intervals. One day I decided to just go for it and increased the running from 8 min to 15, then walked for 3 or 4 min and found I could do another 15. That was the breakthrough.

While I was doing this I was also doing longer incline walking workouts just to burn calories. I decided that, instead of watching TV on the couch, I would watch it walking on the treadmill. I figured if I did it long enough, even at a slow speed, it be an extra 300-500 Calories. Of course, I couldn't keep it that slow, and ended up taking the elevation way up so that I was burning almost as many calories in a hour as running. Wasn't exactly relaxed, but it was effective.

As I worked up to "normal" running durations, I settled into 3 types of workouts: Long, slow distance, keeping intensity relatively low but pushing the minutes, medium runs either at a continuous "tempo" speed or using a random hill profile at a somewhat slower and more varied speed; and shorter, high-intensity interval runs of various combinations or simulated races. The pattern was 1 LSD, 2 Tempos, 1 Interval per week. In addition I have a stairclimber and I use a cross trainer at the park district when I do weights.