Does diet soda raise your blood sugar?

Options
Does diet soda (Coke Zero, Diet Pepsi, etc.) raise your blood sugar?
I am trying to keep my blood sugar spikes low and infrequent and not sure if diet sodas are a safe option.
I also drink lots of water, plain iced and green tea, etc.
Sources to answers appreciated :)

Thanks!

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    it doesnt bother me but thats me aspertame can cause you to be hungry tho
  • IceDragon72
    Options
    Thanks for the info :)

Anyone else have thoughts?
  • skyan
    skyan Posts: 12
    Options
    Diet sodas are alright, but don't over-do it. Diet Coke still uses diet sugar I think.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    No they do not.

They contain no sugar, and aspartame does not raise your blood sugar. Nor does it cause you to feel hunger. It just tastes sweet.

Enjoy as you wish!

(there's no such thing as "diet sugar")
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke still uses diet sugar I think.

huh?
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My grandma was diabetic and her doctor told her that she could drink diet sodas as long as they too were in moderation. She had a lot of other health issues too so she had to watch the amount of fluid she drank in a day. But she found after drinking a diet soda she would sometimes be just as thirsty if not more thirsty than before. This would mean she would either get another diet soda and go over fluid limits or would drink water when we were watching. (She wasn't very compliant with anything)

So I would say yes you are fine with diet sodas as long as they too are in moderation.
  • barenda_101
    Options
    No. The reason they are diet is because your body can't metabolize them. This means that there is no way for your body to convert these artificial sugars into sugars that your body can use (i.e. glucose) and subsequently, you will not have a rise in your blood sugar.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A product containing no sugar or carbs to convert can't raise your blood sugar. It has been hypothesized that diet soda and other artificailly sweetened foods "fool" you pancreas into thinkiing you did ingest sugar and cause an increase in insulin. The hypothesis is this causes overeating as the insulin subsides and thus causes just as much of a correlation for diet soda to obesity as regular soda. I recall seeing the hypothesis but not any peer reviewed studies that covered it. There could be some out there though.
  • Genericwit
    Genericwit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am trying to keep my blood sugar spikes low and infrequent and not sure if diet sodas are a safe option.

Thanks!

Are you diabetic? If so, I think it's time for a chat with your physician or a friendly neighborhood nurse. These types of questions aren't ones to ask on forums, even if you get the correct answer to THIS question. Because you might still have misconceptions you don't even realize you have.

If you're not, don't worry about it too much. After eating, everyone's glucose levels go up, because of the way your body breaks down food. If you're not diabetic, your body metabolizes the glucose without much cause for concern, because your pancreas produces enough insulin to maintain homeostasis. There's no way to prevent your glucose levels from fluctuating, even with the strictest of diets, because just about everything contains a little bit of sugar. Diet sodas might not raise your glucose the way regular ones do, but they come with their own host of concerns.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am a Type 2 Diabetic and drink 2-3 24 oz. Diet Pepsi's every single day (I might add I drink 125+ oz. of water a day as well) and it has absolutely no effect on my blood sugars what so ever..... Best of Luck
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    No it does not. If it did then my daughter who has Type-1 Diabetes would have to take insulin for it.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    No. The reason they are diet is because your body can't metabolize them. This means that there is no way for your body to convert these artificial sugars into sugars that your body can use (i.e. glucose) and subsequently, you will not have a rise in your blood sugar.

Well, actually, the body can (and does) metabolize them.

It has to or we'd be peeing it out in the same form as it went in.

Not a savoury thought and potentially very messy.

I'm thinking a lot of froth.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Could you imagine the feeling of peeing out carbonation bubbles!?!? Idk if it would tickle and make you laugh or what....

Interesting to think about!!!
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Thanks!

dunno about diet coke, cuz i dont drink that but i drink diet dr. pepper and it has no sugar
  • McGrew822
    Options
    It does not.

Diabetic brah checking in, I'd know. :)
  • McGrew822
    Options
    Diet sodas are alright, but don't over-do it. Diet Coke still uses diet sugar I think.

This is either an excellent trolling attempt, or the dumbest thing I've ever read. Ever.
  • puffidredz
    Options

Could you imagine the feeling of peeing out carbonation bubbles!?!? Idk if it would tickle and make you laugh or what....

Interesting to think about!!!

id be more worried about the color :embarassed:
  • puffidredz
    Options

This is either an excellent trolling attempt, or the dumbest thing I've ever read. Ever.

broscience

batman-broscience.jpg?e83a2c
  • McGrew822
    Options

broscience

batman-broscience.jpg?e83a2c

Actually, no, that is an empirical fact. I've been researching nutrition for a year and tend to know what I'm talking about. Throw in being type 1 diabetic (the one that's not from being a fat slob) and I know a little bit about blood sugar.
  • CateB1959
    Options
    There are no sugars or carbohydrates in diet soda so your blood sugar is not effected. Cate (Type II diabetes since 2006)