My strength training cals are not recording???

Options
nixism
nixism Posts: 258 Member
Hey everyone, how do I get my strength training cals to record?? I've input my exercises, reps, sets, weight etc - but no cals are recording as earned?? Any ideas...

Replies

• laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think its because mfp doesn't count it as calories earned
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If you want to count it as cardio you need to enter it in the cardio field (as strength training, or as circuit training).
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you want to count it as cardio you need to enter it in the cardio field (as strength training, or as circuit training).

Awesome! I was wondering that myself. Thank you!
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thank you - now I understand. Cheers :)
  • newtrx
    newtrx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Along these same lines, do you think using a heart rate monitor is a fair way to calculate calories while doing strength training?
  • eduardoschoen
    Options
    Along these same lines, do you think using a heart rate monitor is a fair way to calculate calories while doing strength training?

Totally agree with this. I used mine for the first time with my personal trainer last Friday and was glad to see how much I burned. Was actually a great motivation throughout the workout.

Good luck meeting your goals! :)
  • huxley443
    huxley443 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think its because mfp doesn't count it as calories earned

Anyone know why this is? I find it counter-intuitive, but I guess I'm missing something science-y.
  • newtrx
    newtrx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My guess would be because it is not a continuous burn-like regular cardio is. There is down time in between reps. But I would think if you used a calorie monitor you should be able to count them. Anyone else? However....my weight loss has been negligible this month-time to break out the tape measure and look for improvement that way!
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The bulk of calories burned from strength training happen after you leave the gym. Something like 80% of the total calorie expenditure from strength training occurs in the "afterburn" phase during the next 24-72 hours (depending on the muscle) when your body is recuperating from your workout.