Seeing myself as other do

Options
This has been a thought running through my head for a while now. I don't really see myself as thin even though everyone else tells me so. I look in the mirror and still see the fat person. I have been working hard to change how I view myself, but for some reason, I just can't shake it. I still feel that people look at me and see the fat person not the person at a healthy weight.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    what really helped me was having pictures taken from the neck down, then waiting a few days before looking at them. It really opens your eyes, especially if you put them against older pics. I'ts amazing!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, SHBoss is right, seeing myself in pictures now really opens my eyes...mostly pictures where I'm not posed or looking at the camera, the ''real life moments''
  • diverliz
    Options
    I am going through the same thing right now. I've lost 36 lbs before starting MFP and everyone tells me I look thinner. I am having a hard time seeing it. I have taken pictures, and I do see a small difference, but when I look in the mirror...its just not there. My clothes do tell the story though. I think it will come with time. I am putting the old clothes on and saying "oh, way too big" and that is helping....
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem too. With all the weight I have lost you would think that I would really notice it but I need to ask my husband sometimes if there is a difference. I agree that pictures are the way to go. When I look at old pictures of me I am amazed at how big I was. Although I don't feel different, in comparing pictures, I sure look it
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am having trouble dealing with this as well. I've never felt good about myself and have always been overweight since I was 7 so I've never seen myself looking "good". Even in pictures right now I think 'oh, that's just a good angle' but I do agree in the "real life moments" in pictures or looking back at my old pictures I am definitely starting to see the difference.

I think it takes a long time for the brain to catch up with everything else that we're not that overweight person anymore!
  • will4change
    Options
    Hope to get to that point some day!!! My biggest eye opener was my pictures too, for quite some I was almost in disbelief that the clothes are getting tight and nothing fitts anymore, deep inside me I thought that it could not be that much, till I seen someof our lates picture. I had to LOOK and SEE me for few moments!!! Taht when I decided to something needs to be done. So definately for make feel good or bad one should have the real life pictures taken>>>>>>>
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    This has been a thought running through my head for a while now. I don't really see myself as thin even though everyone else tells me so. I look in the mirror and still see the fat person. I have been working hard to change how I view myself, but for some reason, I just can't shake it. I still feel that people look at me and see the fat person not the person at a healthy weight.

that is i. 100%:wink::wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
    and i tried the picture thing. it works oppisite 4 me. that is, i look great if i pose, etc.... but caught off gaurd and natural, i look old, fat and saggy.:cry::cry: :cry: :cry:
    and are'nt the "natural" pics what i truely look like?:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I think alot of people go through this. It has been one of the hardest things for me. I guess I just got used to being so big and now its all different. I still get nervous if I have to go between say a pole and a car because I afraid I won't fit. I also swing out pretty far when walking around someone. Its all mental plus we are more judgemental of our own bodies and tend to focus on the imperfections more. My aunt and uncle saw me over the holidays and were going on and on about how much different I looked but I still myself as 285 pounds. Maybe we can all look at ourselves and see what everyone else sees someday.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options

that is i. 100%:wink::wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
    and i tried the picture thing. it works oppisite 4 me. that is, i look great if i pose, etc.... but caught off gaurd and natural, i look old, fat and saggy.:cry::cry: :cry: :cry:
    and are'nt the "natural" pics what i truely look like?:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Still yet, compare your "real life moments" pictures of older "real life moments"... isn't there a DEFINITE difference? :):flowerforyou:
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I can't believe how much I have gained and don't realize how big I actually am. I see myself as big but I don't think I see myself as big as I actually am. When I see pictures or videos of myself I cringe. I just developed some pictures from a month ago and one of the aides from one of my classes I teach took a picture of my behind when I was helping out a child....OUCH!!!! What an eye opener!
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hope to get to that point some day!!! My biggest eye opener was my pictures too, for quite some I was almost in disbelief that the clothes are getting tight and nothing fitts anymore, deep inside me I thought that it could not be that much, till I seen someof our lates picture. I had to LOOK and SEE me for few moments!!! Taht when I decided to something needs to be done. So definately for make feel good or bad one should have the real life pictures taken>>>>>>>

This quote above was what I was referring to. I am by no means skinny yet so it's actually opposite for me!
  • malibootie
    malibootie Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have days where I look in the mirror and I can see a difference for the better, then I have 'fat days'. I like the idea of taking a picture from the neck down now and being able to look at it later. Creating my own before and during pictures. Thankfully, I have friends who I am doing MFP with who I feel comfortable seeing me in just my "skivvies" :laugh: That word just makes me laugh!