Sleep and weight loss

Options
Lot's of new research suggesting that if you sleep 7-8 hours a night, you will lose more weight. Why? More sleep influences your hormones ghrelin and leptin. Google it! Prevention magazine has a great article on it and Dr. Oz had a sleep expert on today who explained why that is. Anyhow, how many hours do you average a night? I get 7-8 most nights. On the days I don't sleep that much I usually haven't exercised very much. Do you see a relationship between being active and sleeping better?

Replies

• somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do! I started working night shift about 2 years ago and I have to be honest, i have put on about 10 lbs or so since. My eating habits had not really changed (they have now, finally!) nor did my exercise level. I sleep 3-4 hours when I come home from work, then another 2-3 before I go into work and I definitely notice a difference. I think stress also contributes too it. When I am tired (which is pretty much all day every day) I get stressed out which I'm sure doesn't help wtih weight loss either. I had actually been kinda wondering if there are other night shifters out there who don't sleep a full 8 hours and have put on weight or if it's just me.
  • demetrik
    Options
    You are both right. I have noticed the same thing myself. Lack of sleep makes it very hard to lose weight.