How much protein do you aim for? Experiences??

Hi everyone,
I recently decided o try a high protein diet so I stocked up on some Vega Sport Protein Powder and also have Vegan rice protein powder. I'm vegan so to get a ton of protein I either hae to have these shakes or eat ALOT of tofu lol. I'm 5' 6" 125 pounds and try to get 122 grams protein a day now. I want to lose fat and gain muscle. What are your experiences with a high protein diet, what are your height, weight stats now and when you began and how much protein/ calorie do you try to get everyday?

Replies

• lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    11 hours and no replies? lol
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    if I were you (and I am not) I would try adding more natural fats to your diet. it goes against the popular, modern idea of low fat = diet but it worked pretty good before the invention of electricity. of course then people don't have to farm for food or run from bears now, either, but our bodies are designed about the same and healthy fats are necessary for all sorts of things, repairing the body, carrying nutrients, helping digestion, etc.
  • lovetobethin86
    oh i eat tons of natual fats, im vegan :) lol i love me some good avocado and nuts:)
  • lovetobethin86
    ooooo and coconut oil...and dark chocolate yumyum
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    try greek yogurt!! have you had it? def an aquired taste.. but man so good for you and tons of protein vs reg yogurt! you could add it to your protein shakes/?? be careful though I hear eating too much protein can tear up your stomach (Like diareah to be detailed) just googe side effects maybe... dont wanna over due a good thing! ps: u look great now! :wink:
  • lovetobethin86
    thank u hun, im vegan though, dont eat animal products:)
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    good luck! im sure you have a good reason for doing vegan, but i prefer all natural. :) nothing wrong with either.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    For relatively lean people, 1gram of protein per lb of body weight is fine.
  • I'm a vegetarian and try to aim for high protein as well. I'm 5'6, used to be 122 at my lowest November 2011 and now I'm back at 130.5 which sucks but I'm human, it happens. Working on undoing the damage though. So I guess we have similar stats. I used to just focus on calories but now am looking at macronutrients as well. Today I had 120 grams of protein and yesterday I had 122 to give you an idea. I usually don't eat that much protein, but I'm trying to keep it the way it has been the past few days :) And I'm also trying to lose fat and gain muscle.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    I don't have a goal, I just make sure to get some protein with every meal.
  • lovetobethin86
    For relatively lean people, 1gram of protein per lb of body weight is fine.

oh good, i didn't want to overdo it:) Why is MFP so low with its protein unless you change it yourself?!
  • lovetobethin86
    I'm a vegetarian and try to aim for high protein as well. I'm 5'6, used to be 122 at my lowest November 2011 and now I'm back at 130.5 which sucks but I'm human, it happens. Working on undoing the damage though. So I guess we have similar stats. I used to just focus on calories but now am looking at macronutrients as well. Today I had 120 grams of protein and yesterday I had 122 to give you an idea. I usually don't eat that much protein, but I'm trying to keep it the way it has been the past few days :) And I'm also trying to lose fat and gain muscle.

I am the same, I dont JUST focus on calories now either, maros are important, and I want to see if my body responds differently if I have higher protein then just being within calorie limits....plus I go wayyyy over sometimes lol What calories are you set to since were similar stats? Mine are at 1400 calories now but fattofitradio has told me otherwise lol o I just icked a number in between and ended up with 1400 cals so I'm not starving!
  • Chick peas are high in protein. I try to keep my protein above 100g since I'm a pescatarian and garbanzos help me a great deal. You can use them in so many recipes as well. I use them for my quinoa and chick pea veggie burger, garlic hummus, in an Italian pasta salad, or a zucchini+couscous+carrot salad. Give it a go. :)
  • lovetobethin86
    i LOVE chickpeas:) those are yummy ideas:) thanks! what is a pescetarian?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I eat a high protein diet and have had great results, but I eat a lot of animals. Not much help here. I'm 5'4, 120 lbs and eat around 120+ grams a day, easily.
  • i LOVE chickpeas:) those are yummy ideas:) thanks! what is a pescetarian?

I eat fish. I became vegetarian when I was 12 and then vegan at 16. When I hit college I became veggie again, and two years ago I began eating fish (only when I'm certain that the fish is local).

Glad that I helped! And yes, chick peas are sooo good!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I eat a high protein diet and have had great results, but I eat a lot of animals. Not much help here.

Same. I've also eaten a high protein diet since I started. Currently I aim for 150g on weight training days, 130g remaining days. It obviously hasn't hindered my weight loss, and the bonus is that I have a good body comp - as in, I haven't depleted my body of muscle despite eating at a deficit for 14 months.