I'm new and overwhelmed!

Options
I just started (again -- tried a few months back with no commitment) and am overwhelmed by the amount of weight I need to lose!! I just got diagnosed this week with pre-diabetes and high cholesteral!! UGH!! I was always so happy that even though I was overweight, I was "healthy" by numbers! The mac and cheese has caught up with me though, so here I am! I have a wicked great sense of humor and would love to be friends with others who do, too! I'm 47 year old happily married mother of an 8 year old boy. I'm also a teacher and go back to work on Monday -- another ugh!!! (I love summer tooooo much!!) I'm happy to give support and encouragement as well as receive it!

Replies

• elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I am in my late twenties and I don't seem to have the challenges you face but I can offer encouragement! Also, I am hilarious as hell. I promise.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Hi! I started on this journey almost 2 weeks ago and I was so overwhelmed at the prospect of losing 100 pounds. (4 down!) I have decided instead to take it day by day, victory by victory, and if there are a few bumps along the way, I'm not going to let it derail me. I have decided to do it this time. I've made some new friends on here and they are helping SOO much! Add me and I will do this with you too!

Vanessa
  • dreja82
    dreja82 Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm going for a little over 100 to lose and started about 3 weeks ago. It is a little scary sometimes thinking about that big number. I've lost 6lbs so far and know we can all do this! Add me and we can do it together :)
  • pattie317
    pattie317 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Add me if you would like....I am also a teacher.. This site has been very encouraging.
  • emailjayne
    emailjayne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Hilarious as hell sounds right up my alley! :laugh:
  • LikesVeges
    LikesVeges Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I sent a request to you. I'm new here, one week, and want a support system that will nudge me if I falter. Friends that are in this for the long haul would be great!
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hey, feel free to add me and what not,
    heres what I do - the thought of losing 70 pounds(and recently I've decided to up it to 80) simplys crushes my spirits before I begin - THAT'S LIKE LOSING A CHILD! A CHILD SIZE WORTH OF FAT! aaaaarg! Enough to kill any semblance of motivation.
    THE TRICK: small goals.
    Make every five pounds lost a victory.
    For me, 5lbs is a victory, 10 is a success, and 20 is a mile stone.
    This way you focus on PROGRESS instead of what you have LEFT TO DO
  • eorourke23
    Options
    Hi there, I am just back, after gaining 10lb i need all the support i can get as I am as miserable as sin being this weight, x
  • DrJeep
    DrJeep Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey hey.

I know the feeling, when I first started out here, and stepped on the scales for the first time in almost 10 years I seriously scared myself. It's a mountain to overcome, or a desert to cross, or whatever other dramatic version you can come up with.

But remember, you climb a mountain one step at a time, and you cross a desert one step at a time (and with lots of water). So take it one step at a time, celebrate your results, be proud of yourself. Be proud of yourself for having taken the first step already.

Feel free to add me, I to have a long way to go and if I can help to motivate you, and you me, that would be awesome.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It can be overwhelming, but MFP has great support links.

For your high cholesterol, cardio can do wonders!!! Diet can affect your cholesterol by about 10% (thats what Dr. told me)

Cardio increases your good levels of cholestrol, subsequently lowering your bad levels :-) Great diet, and exercise is the right way forward